ASFN Final Mock Draft on front page!!

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Saw it. Generally liked it.

But I think that if we want to snare Mathis, we'd better do it in Round 2.

The lack of resolution concerning Robinson figures to have a definite bearing on who we take in the second round. If Robinson signs, there figures to be less need to sign a WR like B Johnson and a greater likelihood we'll sign a CB.

Regarding a K in the seventh, we already have a second kicker in Duncan.

TheCardFan

Things have changed.
Reaction score
Re: Saw it. Generally liked it.

Originally posted by JeffGollin
But I think that if we want to snare Mathis, we'd better do it in Round 2.

The lack of resolution concerning Robinson figures to have a definite bearing on who we take in the second round. If Robinson signs, there figures to be less need to sign a WR like B Johnson and a greater likelihood we'll sign a CB.

Regarding a K in the seventh, we already have a second kicker in Duncan.

Agreed...Mathis might very well slip into the late first round... although very iffy, he won't make it to rd 3.

I hope Suggs is the pick, it makes the rest of the draft much eaiser for us. It is so very tempting with Jerry Sullivan, to want to wait until rd 3 or later to snag a WR.

What about Dennis Weathersby? He could be a real steal at rd 3 on...

Ed B

The Matt Joyce of Posting
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I thought about tossing Weathersby in at the last minute, I think he's a top 15 talent and would have been a super sleeper, but I could find no information on his medical condition. He could be paralyzed for all we know.

TheCardFan

Things have changed.
Reaction score
Originally posted by Ed B
I thought about tossing Weathersby in at the last minute, I think he's a top 15 talent and would have been a super sleeper, but I could find no information on his medical condition. He could be paralyzed for all we know.

Weathersby Shot

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Physically, he's supposed to be OK. But the skinny on Weathersby out of TSN's War Room is that he had character "issues" prior to the shooting, and that this incident has already caused a couple of teams to drop him from their boards altogether. There are other CBs without "issues" who rate very close to Weatherby, so I lowered his rank on the BRS from around 4th down to #10 (right above Shane Walton).

Ed B

BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I saw the articles about the shooting but when I completed this, I hadn't yet seen an article that came out and said "His injury is XYZ and he's fine".

Ed B

BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Simms?

You may be right, but if you are, I'll cry.

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Simms?

You may be right, but if you are, I'll cry.

I asked myself one question. Do you really think they are sold on McCown leading this team when they move into the New Stadium?

My answer was No.

Factor that with Simms meeting with the Cards and everything seemed to fit.

Ed B

BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Lots of guys met with the Cards. I would try not to read too much into that.

Your logic about needing a new man to lead the team would suggest Leftwich in round 1 more than it would point to Simms. He is a very developmental guy.

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Lots of guys met with the Cards. I would try not to read too much into that.

Your logic about needing a new man to lead the team would suggest Leftwich in round 1 more than it would point to Simms. He is a very developmental guy.

Not necessarily. I don't think they want to take a QB in the first round. That would force them to put him on the field quicker than they want. By selecting a QB in the 2nd round they could justify letting him ride the bench longer.

And I realize that they meet with dozens and dozens of players but it sure doesn't hurt to know that they at least have talked with the guy.

Ed B

BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I'm not debating you, I think I'm just engaging in wishful thinking :( :(

I can't tell you how much I don't want them to draft that girl-armed pansy :(

BuckeyeCardinal

Cantankerous Curmudgeon
Reaction score
More Like It

I like this one.

I've posted two mocks on this forum.....my wish mock had the same one and two.

Manning had been on my first draft and Nelson was on my second.....I could take or leave Manning.....I really like Nelson.

Mathis would be great and good enough of an athlete to do some kick returning as woould Manning.

Of all the UC guys going out for the drafgt I like Ruffin the best.

BW52

Registered
Reaction score
Pretty darn good mock.Only thing i don`t like is wasting a pick on a kicker.Whgy not get a OT to develop either at RT or LT?:thumbup:

Ed B

BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Originally posted by BW52
Pretty darn good mock.Only thing i don`t like is wasting a pick on a kicker.Whgy not get a OT to develop either at RT or LT?:thumbup:

Yeah, that's good criticism.

I actually had another OL in that spot but after a while I figured Gramatica stunk last year and Tim Duncan looked awful once he got out of the thin air of flagstaff.

But you're right, they probably won't select a kicker.

pinnacle

Reaction score
Ed...are any of the WR's you drafted also punt returners? I guess we could have kasper, gilmore and anderson duke it out for kickoff returner..not sure if we have a punt returner on the roster..

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
I like this mock a lot Ed.

1. I would take either Leftwich or Suggs, so this a pick that I'm happy with. If I'm Rod Graves and Mac, I might just flip a coin to decide if both are available.

2. Obviously I really like this pick, since he was on my first mock. And the Frank Sanders with more speed is dead on (I made the same comparison).

3. I don't think Mathis will be here, but if he is, I would jump all over him. Not only can he play corner, he can play safety, and he could work as a hybrid defensive back that could be plugged in where ever he is needed.

4. Bruce Nelson is also another guy I like. Very intelligent, tough, tenacious. He could step in and start this year, and at worst start next year. He has the potential to be a darn good center in this league.

5. Carl Morris is another guy from my first mock, and I think that he could fit in very well here. Big, intelligent, and probably very coachable (and with Sullivan that is very important). I really like this pick, and I think he might be a steal.

6. Rashad Moore is a guy that I'm real lukewarm on. I really get turned off by underachievers, but at this point in the draft, he would be a great pick. Personally I might take Langston Moore from South Carolina, but he doesn't have Rashad's upside, even though he might be better right now.

6 comp. Ricky Manning is a guy that always jumps out at me when I watch UCLA. He really could become a good nickel or dime back in this league, and could bump Renaldo Hill out within a year. The comparison to Barrett is right on, though you correctly pointed out that he is a role player (and could be a good role player).

7. Ruffin could be had as a UDFA probably, but I understand that once you get here (7th round prediction) you might as well write in the name of any scrub.....a kicker is still a nice addition.

Good job Ed....couldn't have done a better job myself!