• Arizona State

Votes: 7 35.0%
  • Wisconsin

Votes: 13 65.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

HooverDam

Reaction score
This isn't a typo or accidental slip of some kind? Are you really saying that you attend ASU and Sun Devils fans are a minority? That's just so tough for me to fathom. When I went there, not only were we all rabid Sun Devils fans but the same was true of the surrounding communities. Of course, Kush was still king at the time.

Steve

Like I said in the other thread, most people I know or have known that have gone to ASU in the past 10 years don't care for it. Theyre certainly not going to be rabid ASU athletics fans. The two biggest ASU fans I know, myself and a buddy both went to colleges out of town b/c ASU didn't offer programs we were looking for at the time.

ASUs unfortunately grown in a monstrous, cold, higher education machine that very few people feel connected or loyal to.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
How the (almost) might have fallen. It used to be that you couldn't go anywhere during football season without being drawn into a Sun Devil conversation. Tempe looked and felt like a college town and the neighboring communities (especially Scottsdale and Mesa) were just as devoted to Devils football. And the campus was always alive with signs of fandom.

I'm sorry this generation of ASU students doesn't get a chance to experience all of this. It's a great part of the college experience, IMO. I hope those of you that are currently enrolled or recently graduated help change this culture. Apparently, all you'll have to do is turn the Devils into a top 10 program. How are you guys at recruiting?

Steve

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
You cannot blame Threet (he is going to do very well this season), Lewis (122 yards rushing) and special teams as they all put ASU in position to win. Like everyone mentioned penalties (lack of discipline) and a couple of blown calls along with a botched extra point cost ASU the game.

Nasser22

Sec. 32: Go Devils!
Reaction score
How the (almost) might have fallen. It used to be that you couldn't go anywhere during football season without being drawn into a Sun Devil conversation. Tempe looked and felt like a college town and the neighboring communities (especially Scottsdale and Mesa) were just as devoted to Devils football. And the campus was always alive with signs of fandom.

I'm sorry this generation of ASU students doesn't get a chance to experience all of this. It's a great part of the college experience, IMO. I hope those of you that are currently enrolled or recently graduated help change this culture. Apparently, all you'll have to do is turn the Devils into a top 10 program. How are you guys at recruiting?

Steve
Well, I know it's difficult to do, but I'm doing what I can to get some excitement going. If I had any resources right now to do so, I probably would get in on some illegal recruiting help.:D

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well, I know it's difficult to do, but I'm doing what I can to get some excitement going. If I had any resources right now to do so, I probably would get in on some illegal recruiting help.:D

Don't worry about it. It's not like the NCAA would ever focus on ASU or anything. I swear, we sneeze and they know it.

Steve

devilfan02

Registered
Reaction score
Bottom line is we find ways to lose games nearly every time out vs. avg-above avg opponents. I was in Madison for the game and told my buddies to wait and celebrate till after we made the XP and of course we missed it. I hate to say it but endings like that have been typical the last 2+ seasons.

The officiating wasn't good but I'm not using that as an excuse. George Bell (OVERRATED) dropped a freaking lob pass in the end zone. Webber (OVERRATED) missed a 25yd field goal that some of us could make. Omar Bolden got burnt routinely and continues to solidify himself as the most overrated recruit in the history of ASU football. Our OL on the XP was too busy dancing and didn't bother getting ready to block for the game tying kick. It's just pathetic how undisciplined we are and how often we shoot ourselves in the foot.

I thought Threet looked decent and Lewis is going to be great while in Tempe. Him, Middlebrooks, and Miles are true gamechangers and need to be on the field as much as possible. Marshall is a great chang of pace RB and looked good too. I just found it frustrating that we even let Wisconsin stay in the game because they are horrible. Even their fans after the game said we were the better team and they're not looking forward to the Big-10 season. However, I think Wisky's style on offense will win them plenty of games vs. the Big Ten... I also wasn't impressed by Camp Randall. It wasn't all that loud and the gameday atmosphere was overrated in my opinion. Still a good time and their fans were great.

Last edited:

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score
Gerrell Robinson has issues with you calling Bolden the most overrated recruit in Sun Devil history.

I don't think anyone who is a four year starter on ASU's defense can be that bad, especially considering he provided half of ASU's touchdowns in Madison. You guys got killed by their TE, that's on the defensive coordinator to make that adjustment. No chance Bolden or most college corners who give up six inches and sixty pounds have a chance against that guy.

Gaddabout

Plucky Comic Relief
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Omar Bolden got burnt routinely and continues to solidify himself as the most overrated recruit in the history of ASU football.

This is so wrong I don't know where to begin. Bolden is one of the best corners in the country, right now. Emphasis on CORNER. Corners do not cover 240 lbs. tight ends, but that was the failure of Bray to make that adjustment after the first two times they put the TE wide on Bolden. Move a linebacker. Move a safety. But get Bolden off the TE.

On that touchdown pass that TE posted up Bolden like a power forward posting up a guard. The guard is just never going to win that battle.

Gaddabout

Plucky Comic Relief
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Gerrell Robinson has issues with you calling Bolden the most overrated recruit in Sun Devil history.

I don't think anyone who is a four year starter on ASU's defense can be that bad, especially considering he provided half of ASU's touchdowns in Madison. You guys got killed by their TE, that's on the defensive coordinator to make that adjustment. No chance Bolden or most college corners who give up six inches and sixty pounds have a chance against that guy.

I almost agree with all of this. I think you'll find G-Rob has made huge strides once healthy, and apparently he is this week. G-Rob, I think, = Kenny Mitchell, someone who needed to grow up some off the field before the light bulb could go off on the field.

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score
Did the light bulb ever go on for Kenny Mitchell on the field? I don't recall him ever doing much at ASU. Those teams' receiving corps were led by Keith Poole and Lenzie Jackson from what I remember.

Gaddabout

Plucky Comic Relief
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Did the light bulb ever go on for Kenny Mitchell on the field? I don't recall him ever doing much at ASU. Those teams' receiving corps were led by Keith Poole and Lenzie Jackson from what I remember.

Kenny Mitchell blew up his senior year, 1997. It took him a few games that year, but the problem had always been practice habits and attitude. He had a great game against Miami and was Kealy's favorite target on third down.

devilfan02

Registered
Reaction score
This is so wrong I don't know where to begin. Bolden is one of the best corners in the country, right now. Emphasis on CORNER. Corners do not cover 240 lbs. tight ends, but that was the failure of Bray to make that adjustment after the first two times they put the TE wide on Bolden. Move a linebacker. Move a safety. But get Bolden off the TE.

On that touchdown pass that TE posted up Bolden like a power forward posting up a guard. The guard is just never going to win that battle.

Best corner in the country??? You're joking, right? Did you watch him in the NAU game? He got scored on and had one, if not two PI calls. He got beat badly a couple times in Wisconsin as well. He's routinely getting beat and he's not even the best corner on the team. I have never understood why people think he's so good.

As for GRob, I never put much hype into him simply becuase of his situation. He rarely played WR in high school and then Erickson played him there as a true freshman. That is so dumb on so many levels. Should he be contributing by now? Yes, but I'm not surprised one bit by how ineffective he's been. There's word that Hundley might play WR at UCLA and I would expect him to have GRob type career if that happens.

Last edited:

Gaddabout

Plucky Comic Relief
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Best corner in the country??? You're joking, right? Did you watch him in the NAU game? He got scored on and had one, if not two PI calls. He got beat badly a couple times in Wisconsin as well. He's routinely getting beat and he's not even the best corner on the team. I have never understood why people think he's so good.

Not only was I at the NAU game, I've watched all three games several times now. Bolden has NEVER been beaten. He has been betrayed by poor safety play. And the PI call was bogus. He got out-schemed at Wisconsin. Not his fault. When they had him on a receiver he shut them out.

And BTW, Bolden is at or near the top on most draft boards these days as a junior. Kiper has him as the No. 2 junior.

Bolden is doing an outstanding job. It's a statement to how bad the pass rush is that ASU hasn't picked up at least a few more coverage sacks. The pass rush has done NOTHING to help the weak coverage from the safeties.

HooverDam

Reaction score
] Webber (OVERRATED) missed a 25yd field goal that some of us could make..

I guarantee no one on this board can make a 25 yard field goal, especially not an angle.

Weber is a stud, but he's still not 100% healthy, give him a break. You can tell he's not at full health on his kick offs, they're not going as deep as they once did.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson