Votes: 7 35.0%
  • Wisconsin

Votes: 13 65.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

desertrat218

Veteran
Reaction score
The Sun Devils are traveling to Big Ten country to take on their 1st FBS level opponent of the season. Wisconsin is highly ranked but struggled against San Jose State this week. ASU also had their own struggles against a pesky NAU team. Can ASU pull the upset in Madison?

Gaddabout

Plucky Comic Relief
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I suspect this will come down to whether or not Wisconsin is successful in play-action pass. That offense is so straight forward I expect a much stronger game from ASU, especially between tackles where they're expecting Toa Tuitea back to provide some much needed stout and depth at tackle. ASU's corners are really, really good, but I think Clint Floyd can be had on play fakes (or any fake). That FS position is a real wild card position this week for ASU.

HooverDam

Reaction score
I think ASU has looked like crap so far, so I voted Wisconsin.

Threet is burning holes in the chests of his receivers like Superman with heat vision, he's not checking down enough and he's thrown a lot of off target passes, rarely hitting his guys in stride.

ASUs running game of course failed to impress, though I think a lot of that was on the O-line, they were horrific today.

The defense is tricked on the simplest of counter plays by a FCS school and has looked suspect. Lots of over pursuing and taking bad angles.

Then of course there's the penalties, too damned many personal fouls, its disgusting. Im really getting sick of how undisciplined these Erickson teams are, we knew it may be a problem coming in, but I could deal with it if we were in BCS Bowls. False starts at home in an empty stadium, personal fouls, just, bleck, awful.

All that being said, Wisconsin didn't totally smoke SJSU, so I do think ASU has a chance, they'll have to be on their A+ game though.

Last edited:

devilfan02

Registered
Reaction score
Wisconsin looked awful on Saturday but I still think they'll beat us. We are too undisciplined to go on the road and beat a top-15 opponent. The penalties, dropped passes, failed assignments, etc. are a complete joke and we'll continue to struggle until we start mastering the basics.

Wisconsins OL averages 6'5, 330lbs and they have 3 potential first round picks (all OL) in next years draft. They've also led the nation the last three years in time of possession so it's clear as day how they win football games. I for one am not impressed by Clay (he's fat and a straight-line runner who spends too much time dancing) but our DL needs to allow our LB's to freely make plays. If not, Clay will grind us down all day...

It would also be nice to see Omaar Bolden (the most overrated football player I've ever seen) and Burfict show up for a game and play 4 quarters of focused football.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wisconsin wasn't very motivated against an inferior San Jose State team and despite turning the ball over several times they still won comfortably. I'm not sure how that translates to ASU coming in and getting a steal.

I'd love to see us pull out a win but I think the Badgers outclass us by quite a margin. We couldn't keep the ball out of NAU's hands (they had it for almost 30 minutes) and we've seen nothing like the Oline and runners that we're about to face. Clay will carry the ball 25+ times against us and gain close to 200 yards as he chews up and wears down our defense. I make us 6 touchdown dogs and I'm an optimist.

Steve

AsUdUdE

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
On a fanatic level, I can rationalize the theory of the Devils being able to Stop the run effectively and throw the ball just enough to pull a 27-24 victory tomorrow...

however I am for the most part a realist, and IMO, Wisconsin is going to be able to run at will, control the clock, and get to Threet more often than not causing him to force early throws or be their personal *****...

I hope I am wrong, but this seems like a 34-14 win for Wisconsin...

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
On a fanatic level, I can rationalize the theory of the Devils being able to Stop the run effectively and throw the ball just enough to pull a 27-24 victory tomorrow...

however I am for the most part a realist, and IMO, Wisconsin is going to be able to run at will, control the clock, and get to Threet more often than not causing him to force early throws or be their personal *****...

I hope I am wrong, but this seems like a 34-14 win for Wisconsin...

I know what you mean. Once the kickoff ensues I sit there convinced we're going to find a way to win but when the idiot fan juice isn't coursing through my veins it's a different story. This probably won't be pretty for us Devils fans.

Steve

AsUdUdE

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Couple of good pieces of news this morning for the Devils... Both Starting WR for Wisconsin will be out today, and consequently the line has moved 2.5-3 full points for ASU...

This happends all the time, the morning of I lose my sense of reality, but with all these pieces in motion ASU may be poised for the biggest win of the Erickson Era :koolaid:

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Couple of good pieces of news this morning for the Devils... Both Starting WR for Wisconsin will be out today, and consequently the line has moved 2.5-3 full points for ASU...

This happends all the time, the morning of I lose my sense of reality, but with all these pieces in motion ASU may be poised for the biggest win of the Erickson Era :koolaid:

I'm surprised that would move the line. Honestly, I didn't know that Wisconsin had wide receivers. All I see is Clay. Stop him and we win the game. Of course, stopping Clay might be next to impossible for us.

Steve

OP
OP
D

desertrat218

Veteran
Reaction score
I'm surprised that would move the line. Honestly, I didn't know that Wisconsin had wide receivers. All I see is Clay. Stop him and we win the game. Of course, stopping Clay might be next to impossible for us.

Steve

One of those 2 WRs is Nate Toon, son of former NT Jets WR Al Toon.

Nasser22

Sec. 32: Go Devils!
Reaction score
If nothing else is accomplished in this game, maybe Clay can bring down Vontaze's ego down a bit. Show him that even the great Vontaze Burfict is not invincible...

HooverDam

Reaction score
I'm just hoping ASU doesn't get embarrassed too badly today and they give me some hope that they can eek out 7 wins, go to a bowl, and maybe have a special year next year.

AsUdUdE

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
If nothing else is accomplished in this game, maybe Clay can bring down Vontaze's ego down a bit. Show him that even the great Vontaze Burfict is not invincible...

I actually hope at the end of the game, Burfict knows he IS invinceable because it was his national coming out party and he leads the Devils' shut down D and win in Madison...

Just sayin :D

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Devils looking good early. Threet has beaten Wisconsin before.

:sparky:

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
6-3 Devils awaiting the extra kick. 12 seconds to score after the FG. :D

:sparky:

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
80 yard return called back because of penalties. Devils taking it to them. Go Devils !!!

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson