Arizona State Basketball 2023-24

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm really starting to be convinced he can't coach worth a lick and that any success they've had since he's been there is really due to him being an above average recruiter.
The problem, as I see it, is that they don't run an offense that they can go to in the clutch or when they go cold to get easy baskets. He has been unable to recruit post players who can score when getting the ball in the post. It's too much players trying to freestyle and create ala playground. Which requires two things to be successful... 1. super talented players and 2. Hitting threes to keep defenders out of the lane. This team lacks both.

Glad I missed the game last night. I had a feeling it would be like this.

SeattleCardinal

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
If I were Hurley, I would be looking for my next job move right about now. If he can't win now, in a down Pac-12. what he will do against opponents in the BXII, which is a very strong basketball league?

With no AD in place, he won't be fired, presumably.

AZCB34

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
If I were Hurley, I would be looking for my next job move right about now. If he can't win now, in a down Pac-12. what he will do against opponents in the BXII, which is a very strong basketball league?

With no AD in place, he won't be fired, presumably.
What has he done that makes him attractive to other programs that would be a step up? Other than name recognition?

It would be one thing if he was consistently making the tournament and just not having the dogs to make deep runs. Problem here isn’t even showing he can consistently get his team into the tourney.

I mean, you’re probably right in that he should be looking for another spot. Sadly, I think he represents near ceiling for what ASU can hope for in basketball and, like you said, Big 12 is no joke in hoops

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What has he done that makes him attractive to other programs that would be a step up? Other than name recognition?

It would be one thing if he was consistently making the tournament and just not having the dogs to make deep runs. Problem here isn’t even showing he can consistently get his team into the tourney.

I mean, you’re probably right in that he should be looking for another spot. Sadly, I think he represents near ceiling for what ASU can hope for in basketball and, like you said, Big 12 is no joke in hoops
College Basketball is a LOT different for coaches than football. If I was him, I would go just about anywhere. You can take a program nobody has ever heard of, like Florida Atlantic (one of dozens of examples) make a deep run, or a series of appearances, in the NCAA tournament and then take another crack at the big time.

But at ASU? Forget about it for at least five years. And that is only IF the athletic department and boosters really go all in with $ for the bball program. It's been bad, it's not good now, and it's just getting worse for ANYBODY to recruit to Tempe

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score

I mean I’m kinda nervous to see how UofA does in the Big 12 to be honest.

ASU/Hurley? Yikes

AZCB34

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Earlier I said NIT or bust. I’m not sure NIT is anything more than a pipe dream at this point

Last edited: