Arizona State Basketball 2022-23

AZCB34

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
If the NCAA wants to focus on something, NIL is it.

I think players should be rewarded for their athletic endeavors but there needs to be some regulation if the schools continue to fall under their scope.

Perhaps if a player makes over a certain amount of money, they should be considered a professional and the schools treated as a professional team for that sport instead of NCAA regulation.
The Notre Dame AD recently penned an OpEd in which he is calling for the the NFL to begin a minor league system for players who don’t want to go to college. He is also calling for the NBA to drop the one and done requirement

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Notre Dame AD recently penned an OpEd in which he is calling for the the NFL to begin a minor league system for players who don’t want to go to college. He is also calling for the NBA to drop the one and done requirement

I think the NFL having a minor league system would go a long way towards helping but I imagine a lot of schools feel otherwise.
Also, the NFL probably doesn't want to pay for it.

I think it's just a matter of time before the NBA eliminates the one and done. The NBA already has the G-League as an alternative.

SeattleCardinal

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I honestly believe that playing time is maybe the most significant driver of the transfer portal. All these kids think/hope they will buck the odds and go pro in their sport.
There is a lot to that, and I think it’s especially true of quarterbacks, where there is only one winner of the playing time competition. But Horne and Neal were certain starters for ASU, and Nunez would have started or played a great deal.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There is a lot to that, and I think it’s especially true of quarterbacks, where there is only one winner of the playing time competition. But Horne and Neal were certain starters for ASU, and Nunez would have started or played a great deal.

The first time I saw Nunez, I thought he had NBA talent but he has a ways to go.

MigratingOsprey

Thank You Paul!
Reaction score
I think losing Horne will be fine.

The guy seemed to not really understand his strengths - took a lot of bad shots and hoisted 3s like he didn't have the 26th best 3% in the conference by shooting the 6th most 3s per game

Des Cambridge shot the most per game with 40th best percentage

Between the two that was a lot of empty possessions and is kind of indicative and reflective of his disjointed the offense was last year

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Much less enjoyable for the alumni and other fans. It used to be about school pride and players making a commitment to a program. If you wanted to transfer, you could but you'd need to sit out a year. I hope transferring backfires for a few of these kids so maybe it won't be as big of a thing going forward. Maybe someone will star here at ASU, transfer, and ride the bench behind 5 solid starters at another program and they'll regret having made the move.
It’s always going to be a mixed bag, so I don’t think it’s going to dissuade kids. They are all going to be the ones who think it’ll work out for them.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
I honestly believe that playing time is maybe the most significant driver of the transfer portal. All these kids think/hope they will buck the odds and go pro in their sport.

NIL then comes into the picture as to where the player goes in all likelihood. I do think you are slowly seeing talent being spread out from the top programs (think Rashada).

There have already been transfer failures out there (think Jaxon Dart, Emory Jones) and there will continue to be so (think Graham Mertz).
But there are also the Bo Nix successes.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
ASU gets Kamari Lands. I don't know much about him except the stats. He was highly regarded in high school.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Still a chance Warren Washington will return.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose