Arizona State Basketball 2022-23

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
Big meltdown by ASU down the stretch. Choke job, fatigue, or inexperience?
I think Hurley got the absolute maximum out of this team. They’re not all that talented. And coming out of Dayton, as opposed to TCU that had much more rest, the Devils were both physically but even more hurtful, mentally tired.
I will add - Washington was actually held on the final play, which prevented him from contesting the final winning floater…
Nonetheless, solid job by Hurley… Hopefully, if he stays, he can attract more top-tier quality, especially at guard and center…
Neal is a stud and should nicely develop into something special. Horne and Collins are decent, but not at the talent level needed to take a team deeper into the season. And I believe Washington, both Cambridges and Gafney are all gone after this year.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm not sure what was said by Michael Crown as it may relate to Bobby Hurley. It's behind a paywall.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
Wonder if Bobby Hurley will be a candidate for the Providence job now that it’s opening up

Absolute Zero

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I think Hurley got the absolute maximum out of this team. They’re not all that talented. And coming out of Dayton, as opposed to TCU that had much more rest, the Devils were both physically but even more hurtful, mentally tired.
I will add - Washington was actually held on the final play, which prevented him from contesting the final winning floater…
Nonetheless, solid job by Hurley… Hopefully, if he stays, he can attract more top-tier quality, especially at guard and center…
Neal is a stud and should nicely develop into something special. Horne and Collins are decent, but not at the talent level needed to take a team deeper into the season. And I believe Washington, both Cambridges and Gafney are all gone after this year.

Looks one of the Cambridges, Gaffney and Washington could come back after all..

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

SeattleCardinal

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Hopefully Hurley can bring in talent from the portal again, even if they subsequently leave for greener pastures. ASU really isn’t ready to compete financially with the big-NIL programs.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
The transfer portal is a joke, IMHO.
It’s interesting. If it were always around we wouldn’t blink at it. Why shouldn’t kids be allowed to transfer schools? Non-athletes do it all the time. But having moved from the prior design the portal makes following a college team much less enjoyable.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I understand NIL and the portal but it's hard on the fans to pin their hopes and dreams on a team that may not be there next season.

My hope is that somewhere down the road it becomes less volatile than what it is now.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
I understand NIL and the portal but it's hard on the fans to pin their hopes and dreams on a team that may not be there next season.

My hope is that somewhere down the road it becomes less volatile than what it is now.
I think that’s a tough goal to achieve for two reasons:

1. If transfers are driven by NIL that’s money. And money talks. The only way to combat is to equalize what you’re paying your players; and

2. Ego. These kids have egos and often don’t have strong, reasonable, people in their ears. If they think they can get more immediate play time or more exposure at another school there’s no reason for them to stick it out. That’s never going to change.

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It’s interesting. If it were always around we wouldn’t blink at it. Why shouldn’t kids be allowed to transfer schools? Non-athletes do it all the time. But having moved from the prior design the portal makes following a college team much less enjoyable.
Much less enjoyable for the alumni and other fans. It used to be about school pride and players making a commitment to a program. If you wanted to transfer, you could but you'd need to sit out a year. I hope transferring backfires for a few of these kids so maybe it won't be as big of a thing going forward. Maybe someone will star here at ASU, transfer, and ride the bench behind 5 solid starters at another program and they'll regret having made the move.

Absolute Zero

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

I don't have a problem with the portal per se. Kids should be allowed to change schools. But when they are essentially bribed with big NIL $$$$, that is what I don't like. There is no sense of fairness to the whole thing, no equity, the highest payers win.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't have a problem with the portal per se. Kids should be allowed to change schools. But when they are essentially bribed with big NIL $$$$, that is what I don't like. There is no sense of fairness to the whole thing, no equity, the highest payers win.

If the NCAA wants to focus on something, NIL is it.

I think players should be rewarded for their athletic endeavors but there needs to be some regulation if the schools continue to fall under their scope.

Perhaps if a player makes over a certain amount of money, they should be considered a professional and the schools treated as a professional team for that sport instead of NCAA regulation.

AZCB34

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I honestly believe that playing time is maybe the most significant driver of the transfer portal. All these kids think/hope they will buck the odds and go pro in their sport.

NIL then comes into the picture as to where the player goes in all likelihood. I do think you are slowly seeing talent being spread out from the top programs (think Rashada).

There have already been transfer failures out there (think Jaxon Dart, Emory Jones) and there will continue to be so (think Graham Mertz).

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Golfermcr