Arizona State Basketball 2022-23

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Extra motivation to beat UCLA... Hey @Russ Smith , do we stand a chance here against your team?

Well we nearly lost to both WSU and USC who I think are inferior to ASU although WSU seems to have been hot of late. UCLA is very good on defense, force lots of turnovers, blocking shots of late, but the offense has been scuffling. Sounds like no Amari Bailey this week again so we're still missing him.

The good news for UCLA is that Adem Bona has been playing much better the last few weeks he's really the X factor for how far we go this year IMO.

Absolute Zero

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Well we nearly lost to both WSU and USC who I think are inferior to ASU although WSU seems to have been hot of late. UCLA is very good on defense, force lots of turnovers, blocking shots of late, but the offense has been scuffling. Sounds like no Amari Bailey this week again so we're still missing him.

The good news for UCLA is that Adem Bona has been playing much better the last few weeks he's really the X factor for how far we go this year IMO.

Thanks for the scouting report, I am forwarding this to Bobby F***ing Hurley!

Should be a great game. Anyone know how many tickets are left?

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media
Even with ASU's best teams since I moved here (1977) sellouts are very rare. Maybe au but usually none. The au game this year the was 2/3, 3/4 at best, full. The students that go to the football games would get it filled if they went. But they don't. The 8:30 tip does not help.

Sun Devil BB is perpetually under the radar. UCLA will not sell out, not even close. ASU still isn't ranked. This city won't really notice until March if they are high in the rankings and have true national buzz.

I don't want to be a Debbie Downer. But 45 years of seeing mediocre attendance is just reality.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Even with ASU's best teams since I moved here (1977) sellouts are very rare. Maybe au but usually none. The au game this year the was 2/3, 3/4 at best, full. The students that go to the football games would get it filled if they went. But they don't. The 8:30 tip does not help.

Sun Devil BB is perpetually under the radar. UCLA will not sell out, not even close. ASU still isn't ranked. This city won't really notice until March if they are high in the rankings and have true national buzz.

I don't want to be a Debbie Downer. But 45 years of seeing mediocre attendance is just reality.

I'm not sure about sellouts but ASU was too quick to move on from Ned Wulk after one mediocre season. He lost a ton of talent the year after the 1980–81 team that went 24–4.

I guess ASU thought they had bigger fish to fry with the new Activity Center.

Here is a link to that roster which included the likes of Fat Lever, Byron Scott, Alton Lister, Sam Williams and Johnny Nash.

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm not sure about sellouts but ASU was too quick to move on from Ned Wulk after one mediocre season. He lost a ton of talent the year after the 1980–81 team that went 24–4.

I guess ASU thought they had bigger fish to fry with the new Activity Center.

Here is a link to that roster which included the likes of Fat Lever, Byron Scott, Alton Lister, Sam Williams and Johnny Nash.

That is when the place was often packed and the most electric. I went to every game that season (and several others) and it was just never the same.

Raindog

I didn't come here to be liked!
Reaction score
I'm trying not to get too invested in ASU BB's good start. Every time I do, they always falter. So to offset that, I'm paying attention, but not *too* close attention.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm trying not to get too invested in ASU BB's good start. Every time I do, they always falter. So to offset that, I'm paying attention, but not *too* close attention.

I understand but it's good to have something to be excited about. It's better than the malaise of past seasons.

Let's hope the football coaching change coincides with a new era of Sun Devil Sports which includes the baseball program as well.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I should add ASU defensively is essentially even with UCLA in the points per possession stat.

This is just power 6 so not the whole country.

Top 10 Power 6 teams in halfcourt defense, according to Synergy:

1. Tennessee, 0.67 points per possession
  2. Houston, 0.679 points per possession
  3. Iowa State, 0.725 points per possession
  4. Illinois, 0.732 points per possession
  5. Rutgers, 0.735 points per possession
  6. Mississippi State, 0.738 points per possession
  7. UCLA, 0.744 points per possession
  8. Arizona State, 0.751 points per possession
  9. Alabama, 0.754 points per possession
  10. Kansas State, 0.757 points per possession
I think UCLA causes more Turnovers per possession.

Essentially UCLA's formula to win is pretty clear, don't turn the ball over, don't foul, make your opponent turn the ball over, offensive rebound.

Absolute Zero

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I checked one ticket website and they only showed 422 tickets left. But I don't know if all the websites show all the tickets or not. Maybe they are only allocated a certain amount of tickets?

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I checked one ticket website and they only showed 422 tickets left. But I don't know if all the websites show all the tickets or not. Maybe they are only allocated a certain amount of tickets?
That would be awesome if it is accurate! It may be just that ticket broker has 422 left.

Direct from the ASU site, it shows a lot of tickets left in the upper bowl. I counted 144 available in the lower bowl, which is pretty good.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose