Arizona Hoops 2023-2024 - Getting Up from the Mat After Princeton

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Some of the UCLA guys are panning this, not even 8 PPG they're acting like this is a great get. To me it's an example of Lloyd figuring out one of his issues the last season and recruiting to fix it. They were tougher 2 years ago and much more athletic on defense before losing his 2 best athletes to the draft.

Johnson is not a good shooter but he's the type of guy that UA needed this past year, plays bigger than his height, tough, rebounds, defends. Again not a great offensive player but you don't start on a team that makes the championship game for nothing. I think it's a good sign that Lloyd recognized he needed guys who can defend and will make the team tougher. It's the same reason UK recruited him, Calipari realizes his HS all star team every year isn't winning enough because those kids don't do the little things a guy like Johnson does.

OP
OP
TJ

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
Oooooo this should be fun.

**** Sam Dekker
**** Frank Kaminsky

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Why did his Michigan commitment fall through?

He didn't qualify academically they have much stricter academics than UNC. Shocking given the academic scandal at UNC I know.

I'm surprised teams are interested I know he was great in the tourney 2 years ago, singlehandedly knocked out UCLA, but he is a selfish player. The rumor last year was Love hooked up with teammate RJ Davis' gf. It was public enough that when they played at Duke the Cameron Crazies had a couple of chants about it that they did out loud. Love denied the whole thing but even some UNC fans said they thought that was the reason UNC underachieved last year, like the Draymond punch of Poole, the rift between Love and Davis killed the team chemistry.

Maybe they think he'll have learned from it, he's awfully talented, but he takes so many bad shots.

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Sounds like it would be better for UA if he picks Texas or Gonzaga. You don't want chemistry killers on your roster. Looks like Boswell will be getting a lot of minutes next year unless Jaden Bradley can play PG or Lloyd has another transfer up his sleeve.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sounds like it would be better for UA if he picks Texas or Gonzaga. You don't want chemistry killers on your roster. Looks like Boswell will be getting a lot of minutes next year unless Jaden Bradley can play PG or Lloyd has another transfer up his sleeve.

You guys just signed some guard from Spain apparently named Conrad Martinez.

Going to be so interesting next year, UCLA might have 6 or 7 foreign guys and UA might be close to the same.

Still surprised Adama Bal didn't get more run, I know he wasn't creating shots for himself and he was a bit behind the others defensively but great shooter, I hear Santa Clara is absolutely thrilled, they had a 1st rounder last year in Williams, they have a kid who was a big hit at the Combine and might go first round this year, and they think Bal could end up being their best player next year.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
This might be Arizona's most talented squad since the mid 2000s... as long as there are enough translators in the locker room.

Seriously though. The team looks crazy deep but the diversity is like something out of central casting.

A young team from extremely different backgrounds, 7 or so primary languages in the locker room, if they win a title it probably should be a movie.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Anyone feel well-versed enough on the players to do a preview-like write up? Like projecting starting lineup and primary bench players, their sizes, strengths and weaknesses? Tough to scuttle together info from searches to form an opinion of what this squad might be. Would be appreciated.

OP
OP
TJ

TJ

Reaction score
Anyone feel well-versed enough on the players to do a preview-like write up? Like projecting starting lineup and primary bench players, their sizes, strengths and weaknesses? Tough to scuttle together info from searches to form an opinion of what this squad might be. Would be appreciated.

Maybe in a couple of weeks I can do something

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Wow.

If we can get the talent to mesh together this is going to be one helluva team.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Wow.

If we can get the talent to mesh together this is going to be one helluva team.

Will be interesting to see what Lloyd can do with Caleb. Career 36% shooter, 31 from 3, last year career best 37.8% overall but only 30% from 3. Talented kid but terrible shot selection. I still have the recording of him taking out UCLA 2 years ago the number of bad shots he made in that game was crazy, maybe 5 just horrible shots that went in, so he CAN be terrific when he's hot but will be interesting to watch.

Rothstein's tweet has to be interesting if you're Kylan Boswell although I suspect Rothstein is wrong. It's the right kind of offense for Caleb, Lloyd gives his guys freedom. If it were me I'd have Boswell over Bradley, not the athlete but much better shooter and has a better feel IMO.

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I wonder if UA is in running for Arthur Kaluma. I think he would be final piece to to a stellar portal offseason.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
Will be interesting to see what Lloyd can do with Caleb. Career 36% shooter, 31 from 3, last year career best 37.8% overall but only 30% from 3. Talented kid but terrible shot selection. I still have the recording of him taking out UCLA 2 years ago the number of bad shots he made in that game was crazy, maybe 5 just horrible shots that went in, so he CAN be terrific when he's hot but will be interesting to watch.

Rothstein's tweet has to be interesting if you're Kylan Boswell although I suspect Rothstein is wrong. It's the right kind of offense for Caleb, Lloyd gives his guys freedom. If it were me I'd have Boswell over Bradley, not the athlete but much better shooter and has a better feel IMO.

As high as everyone seems to be on Boswell he’s still an unknown when it comes to being a high level 30mpg PG at this level. Tommy had to take Love despite his shortcomings because the backcourt is so thin. If he can get him to buy into a more controlled/efficient style of play and one of Boswell/Bradley pops then AZ could be really dangerous.

OP
OP
TJ

TJ

Reaction score

There is not a situation in which Boswell is not the starting PG. The main reason why Kriisa is gone is because Boswell was given the keys to the offense. Plus, Boswell signed off on the move

My projected starting 5:

Ballo
Johnson
Bradley
Love
Boswell

Rotation:

Pelle
Veesaar
Murauskas
Krivas (in a pinch)

Maybe Martinez if he picks up the offense rather quickly but I doubt it

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

I agree. I think if Boswell had not already been promised the starting job then he would have transferred.

I suspect that is why Kriisa transferred… which I’m fine with because Kerr was a horror show of bricks and ball hogging in big games.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I agree. I think if Boswell had not already been promised the starting job then he would have transferred.

I suspect that is why Kriisa transferred… which I’m fine with because Kerr was a horror show of bricks and ball hogging in big games.

Yeah UCLA fans loved Kriisa, he was a good passer and could make open 3's but he was never as good as he thought he was. His lasting memory was the game at UCLA 2 years ago when the UCLA student section was chanting MVP when he had the ball because he was like 1 for 13 or something similar from the floor.

Boswell is a kid you look at and say not a great basketball body why is he so highly rated and then you watch him play and say ok now I get it. Just does everything right.