Arizona Diamondbacks @ San Diego Padres Aug 16 - Aug 19, 2018

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
Phoenix is the 6th most populated city in the country and the Valley of the Sun is the 6th largest metropolitan area. And it has an enclosed, air conditioned baseball stadium.

It is time to stop using the market as an excuse.

You can't simply toss out a fact like that (the size of Phoenix) and attempt to use it in comparison to other baseball cities. The fact is that baseball is played in the summer. And the summer in Phoenix is not when people are here. Yes, not everyone leaves, but a large number of people head out of town for the entire summer, or, at minimum large numbers routinely head out of town for long weekends or more extended trips away.
The bottom line is that this town will never support a stadium the size of Chase Field. A max capacity of 35k, in a retractable roof stadium that is cutting edge and filled with all of the latest tech gadgets and wizardry that maximizes the fan experience, along with the requisite and appropriate number of corporate boxes, is what Phoenix requires.

In just about every other baseball city outside of Arizona and Florida, the summer for millions of baseball fans brings the tradition of heading to their ballpark a few times, or more, each season. The summer in Phoenix just doesn't conjure up the legacy or the lore that is found in other MLB cities... That's just a fact.
Can the Dbacks ultimately find a way to remain relevant in a smaller park that might produce a steady 25k-30k in attendance? That's the question and the challenge for ownership and management. Oakland has discovered the secret sauce...so it can be done.

DWKB

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Markets = TVs. The fact is that PHX is surrounded by, well, nothing. I don’t even think they have exclusive to all of AZ ( I think SD encroaches).

Meanwhile, The whole states of NY and CT are watching the Yankees, all of VA and half of NC is being split by WAS and BAL. All of TX, LA, and parts of OK and AR are being split by TEX and HOU.

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
Markets = TVs. The fact is that PHX is surrounded by, well, nothing. I don’t even think they have exclusive to all of AZ ( I think SD encroaches).

Meanwhile, The whole states of NY and CT are watching the Yankees, all of VA and half of NC is being split by WAS and BAL. All of TX, LA, and parts of OK and AR are being split by TEX and HOU.

True... Regarding NY and CT, I think you're wrong about that as, the Tri-State area of NY, NJ and southwestern CT split their viewership between the Yankees and Mets. As I recall, from points north of Bridgeport, CT (maybe New Haven?), you're able to grab the Red Sox coverage...

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
You can't simply toss out a fact like that (the size of Phoenix) and attempt to use it in comparison to other baseball cities. The fact is that baseball is played in the summer. And the summer in Phoenix is not when people are here. Yes, not everyone leaves, but a large number of people head out of town for the entire summer, or, at minimum large numbers routinely head out of town for long weekends or more extended trips away.
That is an interesting point. But I don't think that snowbirds (who do not use the Valley as their permanent address) are counted in with the headcount. They are the visitors.

As far as permanent residents leaving town, yes, that is a factor. That would be retired folks. I wonder if it is significant enough to continue to call us a small market town.

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That is an interesting point. But I don't think that snowbirds (who do not use the Valley as their permanent address) are counted in with the headcount. They are the visitors.

As far as permanent residents leaving town, yes, that is a factor. That would be retired folks. I wonder if it is significant enough to continue to call us a small market town.
Not just retired folks - anyone with kids usually takes a week or two off.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
Not just retired folks - anyone with kids usually takes a week or two off.
There's a big difference in families taking a week or two off during the summer to vacation (as they do in all cities) and 82CardsGrad posting, "Yes, not everyone leaves, but a large number of people head out of town for the entire summer.", to which I reacted.

Having lived here for 40 years, 2 months and 20 days ( :) ), I don't believe that describes Phoenix of the 21st Century.

And, we must remember, a significant part of our population is immigrant from Central and South America, generally not able to afford to travel for long periods, but prevalent at D-backs games. Our Hispanic broadcasts have created a lot of fans.

AZ Native

Living is Easy with Eyes Closed
Reaction score
San Francisco has a population of about 860,000 so yeah, Phoenix has a much higher population than this land/sea locked city. But the Bay Area population is close to 8 million. Don’T even get me started on the money difference. LA, NY same thing. Don’t forget the majority of our population came from somewhere else and still support “their team”. Very few natives here and many of the younger ones support the teams from their parent’s roots. It is getting better but it will take a long time to change all that. I have seen this continue even after my 66+ years living here.

And yeah the DBacks and Cardinals have made a great effort to cater to the Hispanic population. Great PR moves that are paying off.

Last edited:

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson