Arizona Diamondbacks @ Colorado Rockies Sep 10 - Sep 13, 2018

sdscard4

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Yes the relievers have had a horrible 2 weeks. But the bats have no consistency seems like every other pitcher shuts us down

AZCB34

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Keuchel, Morton and Verlander will be waiting in Houston. 4 hits off Sonny Gray is all they can muster? They might get no hit 3 times in Houston

Broseph

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Lovullo is so incredulous, he keeps saying "we are doing a lot of things right" in post game interviews instead of just calling out the poor performance of players. The last thing we want to hear as frustrated fans is what is going right when everything is going wrong.

sdscard4

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
These next 7 will tell the story need to win tomo and 4 of 6. Only way we have a shot.

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
Lovullo is so incredulous, he keeps saying "we are doing a lot of things right" in post game interviews instead of just calling out the poor performance of players. The last thing we want to hear as frustrated fans is what is going right when everything is going wrong.

He’s not speaking to you. He’s speaking to his players... and until the math says they’re toast, he needs to continue to encourage and inspire versus attack and ridicule.

AZCB34

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Today is a must win. I see no path to division title if they lose today. The path is hard enough to see even if they win but a win gives them a temporary stay of execution.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The offense hasn't been good, but the bullpen over the last 2 or 3 weeks has destroyed us.

I haven't done the math, but I expect the pen's ERA in save situations (or tied even) the last 2-3 weeks is probably like... 10 or 12.

The starers have been an excellent, the hitting has been bad and the late inning relief has been a disaster of historical proportion.

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The problem with blaming the bullpen is that many predicted this would happen - the LACK of OFFENSE put the bullpen in so many high-leverage situations throughout the year, they are toasted.

Like last night - base loaded, no outs, and we can only score ONE freaking run. If we had gotten 3-4 runs, the game changes completely.

Now multiple that by 80 other games, and you have a bullpen that is so worn out they are useless. it is ALL on the offense and the worthless sabermetrics hitting crap.

DWKB

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The problem with blaming the bullpen is that many predicted this would happen - the LACK of OFFENSE put the bullpen in so many high-leverage situations throughout the year, they are toasted.

Like last night - base loaded, no outs, and we can only score ONE freaking run. If we had gotten 3-4 runs, the game changes completely.

Now multiple that by 80 other games, and you have a bullpen that is so worn out they are useless. it is ALL on the offense and the worthless sabermetrics hitting crap.

I was with you until the end, then you went wacky.

DWKB

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
All the off-season stuff they tried - the "tunneling" etc.

“Tunneling” is in regards to the release point pitchers have for different pitches. As in the FB comes from a different spot than the offspeed pitch.

Any team that is using tunneling theory to adjust a players mechanics is most likely using it on the pitchers to change their release points to be more consistent from pitch to pitch to increase deception.

Where did you hear it affected our offense? Is this some local rag or radio reporting spurious info they don’t understand?

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
All the off-season stuff they tried - the "tunneling" etc.

DWKB answered this... but yea, tunneling is actually an effective method. Doesn't mean the pitcher will be any more successful than he was before being trained in this manner. But generally speaking it is a widespread and highly regarded training method.

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
“Tunneling” is in regards to the release point pitchers have for different pitches. As in the FB comes from a different spot than the offspeed pitch.

Any team that is using tunneling theory to adjust a players mechanics is most likely using it on the pitchers to change their release points to be more consistent from pitch to pitch to increase deception.

Where did you hear it affected our offense? Is this some local rag or radio reporting spurious info they don’t understand?

Ok, it is "sad but true". Here is an article from April.

https://www.azcentral.com/story/spo...backs-hitters-locking-new-approach/505777002/

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score

Interesting. Hitting a baseball thrown by a major league pitcher remains the toughest thing to do in all of pro sports. I haven't heard of batters adopting the tunnel approach as I have only heard and seen it used with pitchers. But, it does make sense to me for hitters to think about tunnels as well.
But like everything else, there are no guarantees. What works for some likely won't work for others.

DWKB

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Yeah, worked so well for Owings he got sent to the Minors...

I think you’re looking for something that isn’t there.

The offense hasn’t been dramatically different than last year among the major hitters in the lineup and where it is different it is mostly in a positive direction from last year.

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
I think you’re looking for something that isn’t there.

The offense hasn’t been dramatically different than last year among the major hitters in the lineup and where it is different it is mostly in a positive direction from last year.

Goldy, Perralta, Ahmed all having better seasons. Pollack is down and we can only guess that there is something physically going on with him. Owings has crashed... Marte has career highs in HR's and RBI (still nowhere near good enough however...). Mathis is virtually identical.
Lamb was terrible this year but I don't think we can make a full assessment since he only played in 50 games...
Descalso has career highs in HR's, RBI and OPS, and is on his way to reaching a career high in hits.

But yea... that "tunneling" thing... :rolleyes:

DWKB

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Top 10 hitters in PA this year (with some other key players) team is scoring 4.4 R/G

Goldy 148 OPS+
Peralta 123
Marte 91
Ahmed 86
Pollock 105
Descalso 108
Jay 68
Owings 44
Souza 78
Lamb 70

Escobar 88

Top 10 from last year. Team scored 5 R/G

Goldy 142
Lamb 112
Peralta 100
Drury 91
Pollock 100
Descalso 84
Owings 85
Iannetta 116
Martinez 170
Blanco 77

Marte 88
Tomas 88

I think this tells the story, and it doesn’t look like a change in approach to the batters who remained that caused it. In fact, they seemed to improve more than regress.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson