Arizona Cardinals off-season. 1/8/23-1/15/23

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'd love Flores as DC, but they brought him in as an HC candidate instead. Shame.

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
this is interesting on two dimensions:

1. LOL for Kliff. We have seen the pictures of who is going with him.

2. My speculation: this also tells me that his contract wasnt 100% guaranteed.

Why? All but the most established NFL HC contracts have "duty to offset" language -- you have to go get another job to reduce what the original team owes you.

Since Kliff is openly turning down NFL opportunities -- that tells me he has no duty to offset. That suggests that his contract was bought out for less than the full amount through 2027.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

RON_IN_OC

https://www.ronevansrealty.com
Reaction score

Why? All but the most established NFL HC contracts have "duty to offset" language -- you have to go get another job to reduce what the original team owes you.

Since Kliff is openly turning down NFL opportunities -- that tells me he has no duty to offset. That suggests that his contract was bought out for less than the full amount through 2027.

He's not required to find a job...lol

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score

Good for Kliff, can't imagine this was an easy year for him. Kliff's not built to handle Kyler (nor most of the other 50 guys in the locker room) and the roster Keim built for him was god awful.

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
So all those people that said he wouldn't even get a shot at being a NFL OC were a little off.

I actually thought he'd be back in college football before the NFL.

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score

So all those people that said he wouldn't even get a shot at being a NFL OC were a little off.

I actually thought he'd be back in college football before the NFL.
I'm guessing offers came from bottom feeder teams, obviously no playoff team is going to swap out their current OC for Kliff. Kliff called plays here and DC's on bad teams like DEN were able to shut his offense down. I wonder if NE was one of the teams who reached out, unless Kliff can't accept any NFL job to get his buyout money I would think NE would be a nice gig with a HOF coach at the helm and a real NFL owner willing to do what it takes to win championships.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

There's no obligation to take another job. It just offsets if you do.

There are a bunch of coaches sat at home getting paid that turned down work.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I don't think this rules him out for Rams or Pats. Both those HCs know him well. They don't need a full interview. He can do Thailand for a month then look at work.

Totally_Red

Air Raid Warning!
Reaction score
It is telling that teams are interested in him as an OC NOT a head coach.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Pretty much like most fired HCs. It's not usually to have to do a penance tour first unless your a top guy with 10+ years as a HC.

RON_IN_OC

Reaction score
I'm guessing offers came from bottom feeder teams, obviously no playoff team is going to swap out their current OC for Kliff. Kliff called plays here and DC's on bad teams like DEN were able to shut his offense down. I wonder if NE was one of the teams who reached out, unless Kliff can't accept any NFL job to get his buyout money I would think NE would be a nice gig with a HOF coach at the helm and a real NFL owner willing to do what it takes to win championships.
It was already reported the Patriots were evaluating him for their OC position.

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
There's no obligation to take another job. It just offsets if you do.
duty to offset means you have a duty to find another job

hard to claim you are trying to find a job when a report comes out saying you are headed to Thailand and wont be accepting offers

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score

Not that telling.

hard to claim you are trying to find a job when a report comes out saying you are headed to Thailand and wont be accepting offers
He can look for work, but he can also say he can’t schedule an interview right now because he’s in Thailand.

If he’s not looking it goes to arbitration; wouldn’t be surprised if Michael said to take some time.

Reaction score

But but he sucks & no NFL team will ever hire him according to most on here.

RON_IN_OC

Reaction score

I looked it up and found it's duty to mitigate...it means what you state, though, however it's hard to enforce and we don't know when it actually starts. It very well could be that Kliff just has to start looking for a job when the new league year starts. He's technically under contract until then.

BirdGangThing

Casual Fan
Reaction score
Had a losing record in college and was the play caller

Had a losing record in the NFL and was the play caller

If anyone hires Kingsbury as their OC they will deserve the losing record with him as the play caller

Zalixar

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Had a losing record in college and was the play caller

Had a losing record in the NFL and was the play caller

If anyone hires Kingsbury as their OC they will deserve the losing record with him as the play caller
He also lost a game where Mahomes threw for 750 yards and 7 TD's

BirdGangThing

Casual Fan
Reaction score
He also lost a game where Mahomes threw for 750 yards and 7 TD's
He also lost games where our defense shined and he won games where our defense bailed him out

It wasn't the defense, or injuries, or talent. Kliff Kingsbury is simply in the sub-500 variety of head coaches. Number one draft pick QB, couldn't utilize him or apparently even get him to buy in, let alone respect him.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose