Arizona Basketball 2018-2019

Discussion in 'University of Arizona' started by TJ, Nov 8, 2018.

1. TJ

TJ Diet Shaq

Let's do this

90-60 W over HBU

2. Lefty

Lefty Registered

Not expecting much this year. Looking forward to seing this team jell and improve during the season. It will all lead to next year, where expectations will be a lot higher.

3. TJ

TJ Diet Shaq

Get into the tournament somehow. Ceiling is the Round of 32.

4. GatorAZ

GatorAZ Formerly known as GatorHater

That game didn’t leave me with a great feeling. The transfers needs to be productive this year to have a shot at making the tourney. Miller does something every year that drives me crazy and this year looks like it will be loyalty to Dylan Smith.

5. Russ Smith

Russ Smith The Original Whizzinator Contributor

I sure hope the people who control the refs figure out this mandated Flagrant 1 for hook and hold fouls quickly. It destroyed the game last night UCLA and LBSU. They called I think 4 of them on LBSU and 1 on UCLA. It's the play where as the guy is getting ready to jump for a rebound the opponent hooks an arm and holds him down, call it the Draymond play if you will. I get that it's a foul and if done wrong can be dangerous but I don't see why it's a mandatory Flagrant 1. They spent so long reviewing tapes last night to make sure it destroyed the game and the announcers said it's a mandatory point of emphasis, if refs don't call it, they will not be working.

That's the move everyone did to Ayton last year to try and contain him on the glass, he would have been shooting 20FT's a game with this new emphasis on it.

6. AzStevenCal

AzStevenCal ASFN Contributor Contributor

I can understand what it does to the flow but I am so in love with the added attention this move will now get that I'm willing to put up with the negatives for awhile. It's so common and so often results in injury (usually minor but not always) and it's way past time to address it IMO. As far as it being flagrant, it isn't really a basketball move so it probably should be more than just a common foul

7. Timm Rosenbach

Timm Rosenbach Handsome Man

I do think this team has the potential to sneak into the tournament. They seem to be gelling early and playing well together. Very glad to see Trier gone. Most selfish player I have seen in a long time

8. TJ

TJ Diet Shaq

9. Timm Rosenbach

10. TJ

TJ Diet Shaq

Trier made Miller look like a bad coach. He was completely uncoachable, didn't want to learn to play defense, and always wanted the ball. "ISO ZO" stopped all ball movement.

I know people have lauded Miller for his recruiting prowess, but with him, Rawle, and Kobi, it was a band of misfit toys. Although this year’s team is less talented, it is infinitely more selfless and more coachable.

Russ Smith likes this.
  11. Timm Rosenbach

Amen. Like the teams at Xavier that Miller thrived with. Unfortunately he now has ESPN focusing its entire energy on destroying him. A win in the tourney would be a huge victory

12. overseascardfan

overseascardfan Registered User

That is the bad thing about OAD players. They are auditioning for the NBA and scouts understandably are evaluating players, not how well their team performs so of course these kids are trying to stand out by being the focal point of their team. Look at Wright at NOVA, has he had a one and done player in his tenure, he goes after guys that will buy into the team concept and kids he can actually coach (just thinking maybe Quinerly bolts after this season but he is not starting at this point in the season so we'll see).

13. Russ Smith

Imagine what would have happened if Ferguson had qualified and not started looking around in case he didn't clear. He's a great athlete but you can see what little impact he's made in the NBA because he can't handle the ball, just a leaper and a catch and shoot guy, would have been a terrible fit with Alkins, Kobi and Trier even though he was good friends with the first 2 guys.

14. Russ Smith

That's true of OAD but Trier is one of those guys, and I will so far throw Hands and Wilkes in the same list, guys who try out for the draft, get told to go back to school, and seem to take it entirely the wrong way. All 3 kids went all in with personal trainers and personal coaches so you get Trier failing a drug test and when he came back seemingly vastly improved both athletically and skill wise but it's all INDIVIDUAL skills, he upped his assists dramatically but he was still a ball hog and wouldn't play defense. UCLA has 2 kids right now that appear going down the same route, pulled out of the draft worked out on their own, physically stronger, skill sets improved, and neither one will pass the damn ball or play any defense.

Sometimes testing the waters is great for a college team, the kid comes back a better player, fits in and it's awesome, sometimes it's the exact opposite which is what I think happened with Trier at times and I see Wilkes and Hands looking very similar right now.

15. Timm Rosenbach

Or if Miller had stuck with Tyler Dorsey