Are we all overlooking Cordy Glenn

SissyBoyFloyd

Pawnee, Skidi Clan
Reaction score
"Iowa's Riley Reiff and Stanford's Jonathan Martin have been particularly popular choices for Buffalo in mock drafts, but they are not their only options. In fact, in the most recent mock draft of Joe Buscaglia of WGR 550 Radio, the Bills reporter sent the team Georgia's Cordy Glenn at No. 10 overall. In Buscaglia's opinion, Glenn has the prototypical size for what the Bills want at the LT position, and he's the second-best OT prospect in this year's class, after USC's Matt Kalil, who will likely be long-gone by the time the Bills pick."

I really love his flexibility. If he was projected to be in the same class as Reiff and Martin, he would be a great pick up by the Cards. Try him at LT immediately, with RT and guard a fall back position. Maybe we all need to take a second look at him at 13.

52brandon

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
we don't seem to hit home runs with big fat OLs that aren't sure things. That's my biggest concern

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
we don't seem to hit home runs with big fat OLs that aren't sure things. That's my biggest concern

You must be registered for see images attach

Doesn't seem particularly fat to me.

I have no problem with Glenn because I think he perfectly fits our system, and can be dominant at LT if he can lose 10-15 lbs between his rookie and sophomore seasons.

52brandon

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
he looks a hell of a lot fatter in uniform. Or maybe standing up...
You must be registered for see images

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
I still have a strong feeling he might be our pick, even over some guys we would otherwise consider to be BPA.

Vermont Maverick

Registered
Reaction score
In fact, in the most recent mock draft of Joe Buscaglia of WGR 550 Radio, the Bills reporter sent the team Georgia's Cordy Glenn at No. 10 overall. In Buscaglia's opinion, Glenn has the prototypical size for what the Bills want at the LT position

Oh, this gives me hope. Buffalo. I forgot about them. They do like big, slow OTs, the same kind that we do. And they are perpetually making head scratching picks like Donte Whitner at #8 a few years back. The old "hope another team saves us from ourselves" theory. Kind of like when Indy took Donald Brown, leaving us with Beanie. I LIKE IT.

Thank you SBFloyd!

Dayman

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I have no problem with Glenn because I think he perfectly fits our system, and can be dominant at LT if he can lose 10-15 lbs between his rookie and sophomore seasons.

What if he can't lose the weight? What if he gains more, which is a possibility for a young player already rumored to have weight issues. It's a pretty big risk for a first rounder. We just got rid of a guy (Deuce) who couldn't shed pounds when asked, so it's not like our coaching staff has a history of controlling the weight of large players. Dan Williams comes to mind, too.

Glenn is listed at 345 lbs. There are currently two OTs in the NFL who are 345+ lbs (Bryant McKinnie, Marcus Cannon). When you add in the guards, that number increases to three, due to our very own Chris Stewart. Huge o-linemen are an antiquated commodity.

If he was an option at guard, I would feel alright about the pick. The game tape of Glenn playing on the inside was very impressive. However, as you've astutely pointed out multiple times before, Grimm prefers smaller, more agile guards. It would be tackle or bust for him in this offense, which, again, is a risky proposition.

Last edited:

az jam

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Combine update from NFL DraftScout:
Georgia’s Cordy Glenn weighed in as one of the largest offensive line prospects at the Combine, tipping the scale at 345 pounds. And after his 40-yard dash, he might also be considered one of the most athletic. Glenn ran an unofficial 4.96 in his first 40-yard dash attempt Saturday morning, including a 1.76 yard 10-yard split. Glenn is expected to participate in every drill this week, already lifting 31 times on the bench, an impressive feat for a player with 36” arms.

Crazy Canuck

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Watched him at the Senior Bowl and Combine. He's athletic; not slow and cumbersome. Weight requirements can be placed in a contract, if required. I'd start him at R-tackle and see if he can work himself to the left side.

Bodha

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
nope

The guys a guard who decided at the last minute he wants to be a LT because it pays more.

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
High upside but a bit of an unknown (especially at LT - which makes him a bigger downside risk).

He probably would be less risky at RT which raises the question - "If we're so willing to move Snyder out to RT to make room for DeCastro at RG, why not draft Glenn instead and make him a RT with an eye toward seeing if he could be developed into a LT?" That way, you could leave Snyder at RG where he'd play better.

Which in turn raises another question - Is it worth the risk to draft Glenn instead of DeCastro at #13?"

If not, maybe we could trade down a smidge & then take Glenn.

Last edited:

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
What if he can't lose the weight? What if he gains more, which is a possibility for a young player already rumored to have weight issues. It's a pretty big risk for a first rounder. We just got rid of a guy (Deuce) who couldn't shed pounds when asked, so it's not like our coaching staff has a history of controlling the weight of large players. Dan Williams comes to mind, too.

Glenn is listed at 345 lbs. There are currently two OTs in the NFL who are 345+ lbs (Bryant McKinnie, Marcus Cannon). When you add in the guards, that number increases to three, due to our very own Chris Stewart. Huge o-linemen are an antiquated commodity.

If he was an option at guard, I would feel alright about the pick. The game tape of Glenn playing on the inside was very impressive. However, as you've astutely pointed out multiple times before, Grimm prefers smaller, more agile guards. It would be tackle or bust for him in this offense, which, again, is a risky proposition.
There are definitely concerns with Glenn. First off, we know Whiz has a problem with guys that struggle to make weight(Lutui and Williams). Secondly, for as fast as Glenn ran at the combine(for a guy his size), his agility has to be questioned as he had the 2nd slowest 3 cone drill and the second slowest shuttle time. Also, he had, by far, the worst vertical and the second worst broad jump. I know those two numbers can be attributed to the 345lbs, but that's what weight he'll likely be playing at, or soemthing very close.

Vermont Maverick

Registered
Reaction score
nope

The guys a guard who decided at the last minute he wants to be a LT because it pays more.

I'm on record as being agianst drafting Glenn. But this statement is ridiculous. Glenn is not making any decisions here, Bodha. And he played LT last year, as Canuck points out.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score

Glenn is an option at guard, but not for our offense. He's the idea tackle for what we want to do.

Glenn is big, but we like our OTs big. They're not asked to jump out on the edge and catch a Wide-9 DE (something that frustrates me when I see Levi Brown and Brandon Keith ignore guys, but that's the system. If Glenn can't lose the weight, then we keep him at RT and he bowls people over from there.

OG and OT are very different positions in our offensive system. We like our OGs light in order to get around the edge as they're constantly pulling in the run game. We like our OTs big to be able to push the edge forward so that the OGs can get around them. I've never seen Levi Brown cut block as much as we even asked Leonard Davis to do (watching Big Davis try and cut down an opposing DE was always highly entertaining in the Green years).

If this were a better draft class and there were a prospect that I was salivating over waiting for us, I would have a bigger problem drafting Glenn. He's not at the top of my wish list, but after Ingram (OLB, South Carolina), Blackmon (WR, Oklahoma State), David DeCastro (OG, Stanford), and Malcolm Floyd (WR, Notre Dame), I'd take Glenn.

I'd take Glenn ahead of Reiff and Martin because I think he's a better fit for what we're trying to do. I think this is a deep draft class, but light when it comes to elite prospects. :shrug:

52brandon

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Glenn is an option at guard, but not for our offense. He's the idea tackle for what we want to do.

Glenn is big, but we like our OTs big
screw that. We like our OTs big. But our OTs suck. Obviously the formula is flawed

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
screw that. We like our OTs big. But our OTs suck. Obviously the formula is flawed

Our QBs suck, which makes our OTs look worse than they are. Our OTs are merely average; Levi Brown maybe slightly above.

I'd be happy to install an offensive system that would play to the strengths of our (former) offensive line, but we have decided to continue pretending like Kurt Warner was still on the roster the last two years. The promotion of John McNulty makes me hope that 2012 will be a little different (his comments in interviews after getting the job spoke specifically about this), and we'll see an offense more tailored to our personnel.

52brandon

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Our QBs suck, which makes our OTs look worse than they are. Our OTs are merely average; Levi Brown maybe slightly above.

I'd be happy to install an offensive system that would play to the strengths of our (former) offensive line, but we have decided to continue pretending like Kurt Warner was still on the roster the last two years. The promotion of John McNulty makes me hope that 2012 will be a little different (his comments in interviews after getting the job spoke specifically about this), and we'll see an offense more tailored to our personnel.
you really think? I do agree that our QBs suck. But I also think the OTs suck. Unfortunately their fates are tied together. Bad OTs give QBs bad stats, and bad QBs give OTs bad stats... but the last full list of OT rankings I've seen were for the season before last and our OTs were worst in the league (but our QBs sucked then too)

Vermont Maverick

Registered
Reaction score

Glenn is big, but we like our OTs big. They're not asked to jump out on the edge and catch a Wide-9 DE (something that frustrates me when I see Levi Brown and Brandon Keith ignore guys, but that's the system. If Glenn can't lose the weight, then we keep him at RT and he bowls people over from there.

OG and OT are very different positions in our offensive system. We like our OGs light in order to get around the edge as they're constantly pulling in the run game. We like our OTs big to be able to push the edge forward so that the OGs can get around them. I've never seen Levi Brown cut block as much as we even asked Leonard Davis to do (watching Big Davis try and cut down an opposing DE was always highly entertaining in the Green years).

If this were a better draft class and there were a prospect that I was salivating over waiting for us, I would have a bigger problem drafting Glenn. He's not at the top of my wish list, but after Ingram (OLB, South Carolina), Blackmon (WR, Oklahoma State), David DeCastro (OG, Stanford), and Malcolm Floyd (WR, Notre Dame), I'd take Glenn.

I'd take Glenn ahead of Reiff and Martin because I think he's a better fit for what we're trying to do. I think this is a deep draft class, but light when it comes to elite prospects. :shrug:

Pretty good points, K9. I have a question on those wide 9 guys - who are we asking to pick those guys up, the Back? Or is it on the QB to quick release or otherwise avoid?

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
you really think? I do agree that our QBs suck. But I also think the OTs suck. Unfortunately their fates are tied together. Bad OTs give QBs bad stats, and bad QBs give OTs bad stats... but the last full list of OT rankings I've seen were for the season before last and our OTs were worst in the league (but our QBs sucked then too)

PFF's OL rankings are pretty bogus for me. I don't put a ton of stock in rankings that had Rex Hadnot among the best OGs in football two years ago.

Good QB play can overcome bad OL play--we see it every year. But great OL play can't overcome bad QB play--look no further than the Cleveland Browns, with the best offensive lineman in the game, or the Miami Dolphins, with the second-best.

The problem with measuring our offensive line is that in 2010 we had the worst QB situation in the NFL, and in 2011 we had one of the three-worst situations in the NFL (putting it charitably). How can you gauge the effectiveness of Levi Brown when Kevin Kolb was running himself into sacks and John Skelton didn't know where to go after his first read?

Bad quarterbacks make their offensive lines look bad, no matter how talented they are. I saw enough from Levi Brown last year to be deeply frustrated, but prefer him to the alternatives available. Brandon Keith was playing injured, but I didn't see enough from him to want him back except to compete for a roster spot.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Pretty good points, K9. I have a question on those wide 9 guys - who are we asking to pick those guys up, the Back? Or is it on the QB to quick release or otherwise avoid?

The QB, I believe, is expected to get the ball into the zone vacated by the wide-9 technique defensive end.

It's frustrating as hell to watch that not happen, though. Max Hall was awful at it, and Kevin Kolb (cost 10X as much before draft compensation!) wasn't much better.

CardsFan88

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I fear he will spend his career looking at the back side of speed rushers. If so, it's a redundant pick.

Of course pass blocking is only one aspect of being an olmen and not everyone is a speed rusher. But in the games where there is, and in a division with SF, I don't want to spend a first round draft pick on a guy who doesn't solve this problem that has killed us and our QB's for years. (besides the QB's faults leading to sacks)

Then you add in Koncussion Kolb, and I just don't see how this isn't just a bad pick, but a horrible pick. Might as well spend the 1st round pick on someone else and plug Levi in at LT. I just don't get it. :shrug::shrug:

Maybe the cards have info where they think he'll be faster than Levi, but would it be enough? would it be enough to offset what seems to be even faster defenses? Generally speaking as time goes on, the speed at all positions increases. So while Glenn may or may not be faster than Levi (again I don't know this, just guessing) then does it offset what the opposing defenses might be gaining in quickness from this point forward?

Everything is telling me no. We don't need three OT's on the roster (at least) that can't handle a speed rusher. We need at least ONE, preferably two that start who can. At least that's where I stand.

But maybe the FO thinks there just isn't a better option, and feel they need to draft an OT, and out of what is expected to be available they'll roll with Glenn. I hope not. But as K9 says it seems to be the system. So I wouldn't doubt that this is a plan the FO is considering. Just hope not.

Last edited:

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
It's not pure speed; it's quickness. Glenn seemed quick enough against SEC pass rushers at LT in the film that I watched of him. Really nice drop-step.

And it's not just quickness; it's also technique. Glenn is such a talented player that it's possible that he was allowed to get lazy with his technique so coaches could work with lesser players. Glenn could make a HUGE jump in this area.

Dayman

ASFN Addict
Reaction score

I agree that Glenn fits the mold of what we look for in an OT. I just question if his struggles with weight and the mental side of the game will make him a repeat of what we've seen all too many times before. His mental shortcomings are actually a much bigger concern for me than his size.

National Football Post's Wes Bunting:
Displays above-average body control when engaged and despite lacking ideal awareness and routinely getting off the ball late, he has the length and power to get his hands into defenders and seal/turn them from the play in the run game.
PFW's Nolan Nawrocki:
Will coast on his natural talent and play down to his level of competition. Has a soft temperament and does not play with a lot of urgency or breathe fire. Is a naïve follower and lacks great work habits—not a self starter. Weight has tended to fluctuate and balloon (though he was asked to bulk up as a senior).
Scout Inc's Gary Horton:
However, there are concerns expressed by NFL teams regarding his motivation level and inconsistent effort. Will he stay motivated once he's cashing a big paycheck?

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joseph Garrison