Apple TV (Take 2)

abomb

Supporting Member
Reaction score
http://www.engadget.com/2008/01/15/apple-unveils-the-apple-tv-take-2/

Apple just admitted that the first Apple TV didn't quite work out -- so it's back with a new model that can access iTunes directly, and streams movies from the new rental store in both DVD quality and HD with 5.1 surround. HD rentals cost a dollar more than SD content -- $3.99 and $4.99, and they'll sync back to your computer as well. The YouTube selection has also been expanded to 50M videos, there's now Flickr support in addition to .mac, and what's more, the entire UI has been revamped. The new single menu interface offers quick search of all available titles, and includes access to 600 TV shows that are available for $1.99, as well as your iTunes library and HD podcasts. Current owners aren't left out in the cold, though -- Apple's offering the new software as a free download. That's not all, either -- to lure you in to the frightening world of HD rentals, Apple's dropped the price to $229, down from $299.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
$99 and this thing takes off.

I just don't think that the public is ready for this yet. Maybe in a couple of years.

azsouthendzone

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
$99 and I would buy one right now. I'm still really interested. Doesn't it take 30 days from the release of the DVD for each movie to become available? That seems to be the only downside. I downloaded a Heroes episode on Xbox Live in HD once and it was awesome. If this is the same quality it may take off. Going to Blockbuster sucks.

Last edited:

puckhead

Waxing Gibbous
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm considering buying one of these but was wondering if anyone had compared the Xbox Series X Apple TV application to the Apple TV branded hardware. They're not that expensive anymore and my receiver can handle another 4K source, so maybe it would be worth it vs. having to fire up the Xbox.

@dreamcastrocks @Devilmaycare

jbjarko

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I for one love my Apple TVs, I have 2. One in the living room and the other in the workout room for utilizing Apple Fitness. LOVE them.

Devilmaycare

Chief Brah Officer
Reaction score
I'm considering buying one of these but was wondering if anyone had compared the Xbox Series X Apple TV application to the Apple TV branded hardware. They're not that expensive anymore and my receiver can handle another 4K source, so maybe it would be worth it vs. having to fire up the Xbox.

@dreamcastrocks @Devilmaycare
I love the AppleTV. If you're using an Xbox now for streaming I'd make the switch. To me the UI is a lot better for streaming. It also used about 1/6 the power so it'll be a little better on the electric bill since it's using less and, more importantly in AZ summer, generating less heat.

My current set-up is to use an AppleTV 4k for all my internet based streaming and a Zidoo Z9X for local content streaming. It's a great combo for it.

Do you have any questions or concerns that we can answer?

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have owned Amazon Fire TV devices, Roku and AppleTV. My favorite in terms of streaming quality is the AppleTV. I still have two Roku devices in the house but for main viewing I use AppleTV in my living room and home theater room. I have ditched all of my AmazonTV devices.

puckhead

Waxing Gibbous
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I love the AppleTV. If you're using an Xbox now for streaming I'd make the switch. To me the UI is a lot better for streaming. It also used about 1/6 the power so it'll be a little better on the electric bill since it's using less and, more importantly in AZ summer, generating less heat.

My current set-up is to use an AppleTV 4k for all my internet based streaming and a Zidoo Z9X for local content streaming. It's a great combo for it.

Do you have any questions or concerns that we can answer?

There's also some chatter out there that one can achieve a higher bandwidth connection using the AppleTV hardware over other options.

The lower power usage makes sense too. Every bit watt counts.

I'm assuming the remote works via BT or something other than infrared, yes? I would prefer not to have to put it in line of sight if I don't have to. Although, it is pretty inconspicuous looking.

Lastly, which model is the best to get and are there plans for a new model in the near future?

Devilmaycare

Chief Brah Officer
Reaction score
There's also some chatter out there that one can achieve a higher bandwidth connection using the AppleTV hardware over other options.

The lower power usage makes sense too. Every bit watt counts.

I'm assuming the remote works via BT or something other than infrared, yes? I would prefer not to have to put it in line of sight if I don't have to. Although, it is pretty inconspicuous looking.

Lastly, which model is the best to get and are there plans for a new model in the near future?

On bandwidth, you do get higher bitrates on some streams. AppleTV+ shows definitely do, See an a couple other shows hit 40 mbps. I believe Netflix gives higher rates too at times but I believe it depends on the show.

The remote is both. It uses BT for talking to the ATV but also has IR so that it can control the volume on the TV. So the ATV itself doesn't have to be line of sight. I have mine down and out of the way.

Get the 2nd get ATV 4k. The current model. As for 32 vs 64 I'd grab the 64 unless there's price pressure. Mainly it gives more cache space for the apps without them being reset. It's a decent time to buy. We're only a year into this model and they usual go a few year between them. The hardware for a streamer doesn't need to change yearly since we're not getting new formats that need on-chip decoding or anything like that yearly.

jbjarko

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Definitely get the 4k, you can find it for 129 right now, smoking deal.

If you're at all invested into the apple ecosystem, ATV is so seamless.

Also the new 4k version features Dolby Atmos.

Devilmaycare

Chief Brah Officer
Reaction score
Definitely get the 4k, you can find it for 129 right now, smoking deal.

If you're at all invested into the apple ecosystem, ATV is so seamless.

Also the new 4k version features Dolby Atmos.*

*Only streaming Atmos (DD+ Atmos). It still doesn't do lossless Atmos like from a UHD rip. This is one of the big reasons I use the Z9X for local streaming.

puckhead

Waxing Gibbous
Supporting Member
Reaction score
On bandwidth, you do get higher bitrates on some streams. AppleTV+ shows definitely do, See an a couple other shows hit 40 mbps. I believe Netflix gives higher rates too at times but I believe it depends on the show.

The remote is both. It uses BT for talking to the ATV but also has IR so that it can control the volume on the TV. So the ATV itself doesn't have to be line of sight. I have mine down and out of the way.

Get the 2nd get ATV 4k. The current model. As for 32 vs 64 I'd grab the 64 unless there's price pressure. Mainly it gives more cache space for the apps without them being reset. It's a decent time to buy. We're only a year into this model and they usual go a few year between them. The hardware for a streamer doesn't need to change yearly since we're not getting new formats that need on-chip decoding or anything like that yearly.

Great. I believe I'm sold.

Regarding the bolded, I'm assuming you meant "2nd Gen(eration) ATV 4K. I think I'll probably order one tonight.

I appreciate the comments/recommendations, all!

puckhead

Waxing Gibbous
Supporting Member
Reaction score
*Only streaming Atmos (DD+ Atmos). It still doesn't do lossless Atmos like from a UHD rip. This is one of the big reasons I use the Z9X for local streaming.

I've been very impressed by the shows I've seen with "only" DD+ so far. Blade Runner: Black Lotus in particular did a great job.

Devilmaycare

Chief Brah Officer
Reaction score
Great. I believe I'm sold.

Regarding the bolded, I'm assuming you meant "2nd Gen(eration) ATV 4K. I think I'll probably order one tonight.

I appreciate the comments/recommendations, all!
Yes, sorry, I meant 2nd gen. Autocorrect got me and I missed it.

Devilmaycare

Chief Brah Officer
Reaction score
I've been very impressed by the shows I've seen with "only" DD+ so far. Blade Runner: Black Lotus in particular did a great job.
It really depends on the show and the stream. Some services **coughhbo+cough** like to use low bitrates for the audio and compress them to hell. Netflix and ATV+ usually have higher bitrates though. A lot of times the DD+ streams are nerfed a little more than the lossless in low end. They also tend to be a little less dynamic to save bandwidth. This has gotten much better though in the last 2 years. I'm seeing the DD+ graphs matching the lossless graphs a lot more often now.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
It really depends on the show and the stream. Some services **coughhbo+cough** like to use low bitrates for the audio and compress them to hell. Netflix and ATV+ usually have higher bitrates though. A lot of times the DD+ streams are nerfed a little more than the lossless in low end. They also tend to be a little less dynamic to save bandwidth. This has gotten much better though in the last 2 years. I'm seeing the DD+ graphs matching the lossless graphs a lot more often now.
Netflix is dynamic. It adjusts based on many factors including ISPs. In general, when using streaming devices, I don't think you are focused on lossless anyway. The compression codecs keep getting better and better. All you can do is hope the device is good enough to maximize the audio/video streams. If you are concerned about lossless and the highest video quality? Use your original media discs or "backup" using lossless and create your own at home sever.

Devilmaycare

Chief Brah Officer
Reaction score
Netflix is dynamic. It adjusts based on many factors including ISPs. In general, when using streaming devices, I don't think you are focused on lossless anyway. The compression codecs keep getting better and better. All you can do is hope the device is good enough to maximize the audio/video streams. If you are concerned about lossless and the highest video quality? Use your original media discs or "backup" using lossless and create your own at home sever.
Yeah, sorry, when I'm talking it's usually a comparison on the max rates unless I state otherwise. I'm on a gig fiber line and have everything in house optimized. Sometimes it's good to be a computer engineer. ;)

What you said about backing up discs is what I do for most movies. I get the UHDs and then do a rip of them to my NAS for local streaming. Full quality but don't have to mess with discs. TV shows and originals are the main things I watch at on the streaming services.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah, sorry, when I'm talking it's usually a comparison on the max rates unless I state otherwise. I'm on a gig fiber line and have everything in house optimized. Sometimes it's good to be a computer engineer. ;)

What you said about backing up discs is what I do for most movies. I get the UHDs and then do a rip of them to my NAS for local streaming. Full quality but don't have to mess with discs. TV shows and originals are the main things I watch at on the streaming services.
I have a gig line as well. Optimized my traffic for Video/Audio data transfers as well. I just know that Netflix deals with ISP's that throttle or limit certain types of traffic. They then "optimize" the stream before it even hits your device.

puckhead

Waxing Gibbous
Supporting Member
Reaction score
One last thing, is there a monthly fee for Apple TV or does it work just fine as a streaming hub once the initial purchase is made? I understand that Apple TV programming (For All Mankind, etc.) requires a monthly fee, but what about the hardware alone?

We already have an Apple ID for my wife's iPad, so we're set in that regard.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
One last thing, is there a monthly fee for Apple TV or does it work just fine as a streaming hub once the initial purchase is made? I understand that Apple TV programming (For All Mankind, etc.) requires a monthly fee, but what about the hardware alone?

We already have an Apple ID for my wife's iPad, so we're set in that regard.
Not a monthly fee for just for the device. However, if you want AppleTV content yes. I think it's $14.95 or something like that now plus any other content you want a subscription for.

puckhead

Waxing Gibbous
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not a monthly fee for just for the device. However, if you want AppleTV content yes. I think it's $14.95 or something like that now plus any other content you want a subscription for.

Got it, thanks!

jbjarko

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I need to switch over to the new apple one I think it's called....30 a month for pretty much all of Apples services (that I already pay for separately lol)

Devilmaycare

Chief Brah Officer
Reaction score
ATV+ by itself is only $4.99/month. One of the best values around. I wish Apple One had a "build your own package" option. The low end Individual plan for $15/month is almost all I want but I'd like to dump Arcade from it. I have no interest in it. I didn't even activate my 3 month trial that I got with my last MBP due to my interest in Arcade being so low. What I should probably do is look at splitting a Family or Premier plan with a couple friends.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Sending PM

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson