Anyone running surface brands?

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just picked up a surface laptop i5 8gb model. Seemed like the upper middle class of the options. Quite the price tag but I played with one at Fry's electronics and it seemed solid. I'm hoping because it's a flagship PC, it's solid. My budget towers from Dell, hp and etc have always been garbage after a short amount of time.

Got it for 1100, less than a surface pro with a type pad. Quite a lot to drop but everything I have read has been positive. I know it's not a gaming PC but I'm hoping it can handle rocket league and other games when I want it to. I'm not really a AAA title guy anyway. I am getting state of decay 2 for Xbox when it comes out and is a play anywhere title so would be nice if it works on this thing but the main negative I've read online is that it's simply not made for gaming

Anyway, curious if anyone has surface devices and what they think? I get mine next week

Sent from my LG-LS993 using Tapatalk

BillsCarnage

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Yeah, I've had various versions since their initial release in 2012 or so. Currently using the Pro 3.

So you got the one with the detachable screen? They tend to get hot for high resource usage and when that happens it throttles the cpu. Microsoft has tweaked with the cooling system over the last few versions, so yours might cool better than mine.

The i5 version is the sweet spot for these.

OP
OP
BigRedRage

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I've had various versions since their initial release in 2012 or so. Currently using the Pro 3.

So you got the one with the detachable screen? They tend to get hot for high resource usage and when that happens it throttles the cpu. Microsoft has tweaked with the cooling system over the last few versions, so yours might cool better than mine.

The i5 version is the sweet spot for these.
It is not detachable, it is the surface laptop. I just want a computer that works and most the desktops I bought were like $300 desktops and would be garbage after a year of use so I went big.

However after buying it, I decided I would like it to play some video games too, its like when I buy a truck, it needs to have 4x4 as if it doesn't, I'm going to end up needing it. I'm starting to think already that I might return it and but a gaming laptop as they should do everything I need and last long as they are high end too.

I'll likely let it arrive, test it out for a while and if it cant do what I want, I'll return it. I have a buddy in IT at my company that games on computers a lot, plan to call him later and pick his brain. I'm not looking to run super high end gaming on it, I have Xboxes for that but to be able to play rocket league in my room is a cool feature I would like to have just in case.

Xbox controllers can Bluetooth to windows 10 devices for gaming so it only makes sense. Plus, some games I buy are "xbox play anywhere titles" meaning I get a free PC copy of the game when I buy the xbox version.

OP
OP
BigRedRage

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
ugh.

Been looking at these for 4 years.

I cancelled the order. Going to research great setups that can also handle gaming.

I wont game a ton on it but its like my pickup, ive only engaged 4x4 a few times in it but when I did, I was real happy I made sure it had 4x4. Same with the tow package.

BillsCarnage

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
ugh.

Been looking at these for 4 years.
At least two years here ;) http://www.arizonasportsfans.com/forum/threads/surface-pro.235462/

The Surface brand uses the mobile processors which is why they throttle down when getting hot.

I cancelled the order. Going to research great setups that can also handle gaming.

I wont game a ton on it but its like my pickup, ive only engaged 4x4 a few times in it but when I did, I was real happy I made sure it had 4x4. Same with the tow package.
Are you looking for a laptop for gaming? Check some of the higher end Dells and Alienware (which might be owned by Dell now..)

OP
OP
BigRedRage

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
OP
OP
BigRedRage

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just want a super fast Sleek computer that will work very well for a long time for my music stuff my photo stuff and then I figure it should be able to play games why not

Apparently I didn't cancel soon enough I'm going to look up the return policy and maybe I'll play with that laptop for a couple days before I actually do return it but I'm also going to start researching other options over the next 24 hours

Sent from my LG-LS993 using Tapatalk

BillsCarnage

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
If you open it you're probably looking at a 15-20% restocking fee and shipping back; maybe $40+ with insurance.

If you keep it you might look at a usb ethernet connection. I like the Surface brand, they're just not for hardcore gaming. Everything else they handle pretty good.

OP
OP
BigRedRage

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you open it you're probably looking at a 15-20% restocking fee and shipping back; maybe $40+ with insurance.

If you keep it you might look at a usb ethernet connection. I like the Surface brand, they're just not for hardcore gaming. Everything else they handle pretty good.
yeah im probably not going to open it. It seems according to the internet they just aren't for gaming at all. I wouldn't be a hardcore gamer by any means but even reading about people playing rocket league, I see reports of it overheating and shutting off after 30 minutes.