Anyone Kayak?

LVG

Supporting Member
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
Just curious if anyone kayaks on this board. I've been looking to pick up a new hobby now that my time is freeing up, and I love the water.

Looking to pick someone's brain about training, equipment, and places to go in the SW. Mostly flat water to begging, maybe some whitewater when I progress.

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just curious if anyone kayaks on this board. I've been looking to pick up a new hobby now that my time is freeing up, and I love the water.

Looking to pick someone's brain about training, equipment, and places to go in the SW. Mostly flat water to begging, maybe some whitewater when I progress.

I personally own a Swifty 9.5 and absolutely love it. It's quick in flat water but if you want to be able to jump in the water and back on your boat, you'll want a sit on instead of sit on kayak. Mine is more for river kayaking.

I wouldn't bother with training while flat water paddling besides a few YouTube videos of how to paddle properly. Even the salt river is so basic it's hard to mess up. I have done the Verde river under high rapid and it's challenging along with a learning curve for running into brush, which way to lean and etc. For that some training may be very helpful

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Last edited:
OP
OP
L

LVG

Supporting Member
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
I personally own a Swifty 9.5 and absolutely love it. It's quick in flat water but if you want to be able to jump in the water and back on your boat, you'll want a sit on instead of sit on kayak. Mine is more for river kayaking.

I wouldn't bother with training while flat water paddling besides a few YouTube videos of how to paddle properly. Even the salt river is so basic it's hard to mess up. I have done the Verde river under high rapid and it's challenging along with a learning curve for running into brush, which way to lean and etc. For that some training may be very helpful

Thanks!

I see it has a capacity of 325; I've heard that the rule of thumb is 2/3rds of capacity should be your weight. So if capacity is 300, you should weigh 200. Has that been your experience?

How's it ride? And what's the cargo capacity on it? I'd love to take a 3 or 4 day lake mead kayak tour, but I don't want to spend a lot of money.

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks!

I see it has a capacity of 325; I've heard that the rule of thumb is 2/3rds of capacity should be your weight. So if capacity is 300, you should weigh 200. Has that been your experience?

How's it ride? And what's the cargo capacity on it? I'd love to take a 3 or 4 day lake mead kayak tour, but I don't want to spend a lot of money.

I was probably 230 pounds at the time when I used to use it a lot maybe 220 at at a minimum and love it. I'm also 6'5 but the foot braces are adjustable and I was still comfortable in it. It rides amazingly but I've only been in a few kayaks before. Either way I love it, very smooth, decent speed and not very tippy. I've been in some kayaks that made it difficult to not tip over. I blamed design but I guess it could have been weight too.

I bought it on Craigslist for à decent price and still love the purchase 5 years later although it is rare I use it anymore. I need to get kayaks for the rest of the family.

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Oh yeah cargo capacity, it has a good amount of room in the back. I had a large yellow dry bag that would basically fit as much as a hiking backpack in it and it slides into the rear of the kayak behind your seat back. You could easily do 4 days in it if you have the right gear to fit but that will be the case with all kayaks.

If your planning 4 day kayak camping trips, I highly recommend this boat or a boat of its size.

For sure pack it a few times and do some one and two nighters first to make sure you can carry what you need and have proper gear like compressed hiking sleeping bags, jet boil/pocket rocket cookers and other tiny, quality equipment. Can't say enough about small hammocks and thermarest sleeping pads eithet

Last edited:
OP
OP
L

LVG

Supporting Member
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
I was probably 230 pounds at the time when I used to use it a lot maybe 220 at at a minimum and love it. I'm also 6'5 but the foot braces are adjustable and I was still comfortable in it. It rides amazingly but I've only been in a few kayaks before. Either way I love it, very smooth, decent speed and not very tippy. I've been in some kayaks that made it difficult to not tip over. I blamed design but I guess it could have been weight too.

I bought it on Craigslist for à decent price and still love the purchase 5 years later although it is rare I use it anymore. I need to get kayaks for the rest of the family.

Oh yeah cargo capacity, it has a good amount of room in the back. I had a large yellow dry bag that would basically fit as much as a hiking backpack in it and it slides into the rear of the kayak behind your seat back. You could easily do 4 days in it if you have the right gear to fit but that will be the case with all kayaks.

If your planning 4 day kayak camping trips, I highly recommend this boat or a boat of its size.

For sure pack it a few times and do some one and two nighters first to make sure you can carry what you need and have proper gear like compressed hiking sleeping bags, jet boil/pocket rocket cookers and other tiny, quality equipment. Can't say enough about small hammocks and thermarest sleeping pads eithet

Thanks. You and I are about the same size, so your testimony carries real weight.

What's the roughest weather / conditions you've used it in?

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks. You and I are about the same size, so your testimony carries real weight.

What's the roughest weather / conditions you've used it in?
I like the unintentional pun you used there.

As far as weather I have kayaked in light rain only. I don't remember the CFS the river was running when we did the Verde but that was pretty damn thrilling going from horseshoe to Bartlett lakes. It's not crazy TV stuff but for me it was pretty thrilling, lots of rapids and obstàcles, tipping, chasing your boat after tipping.,.you know, living!

It's a great hobby to pick up and one of the most stress relieving ones I have ever partaken in

OP
OP
L

LVG

Supporting Member
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
I like the unintentional pun you used there.

As far as weather I have kayaked in light rain only. I don't remember the CFS the river was running when we did the Verde but that was pretty damn thrilling going from horseshoe to Bartlett lakes. It's not crazy TV stuff but for me it was pretty thrilling, lots of rapids and obstàcles, tipping, chasing your boat after tipping.,.you know, living!

It's a great hobby to pick up and one of the most stress relieving ones I have ever partaken in

What about a single person handling the kayak from the truck to the beach? Or is it a two person job?

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What about a single person handling the kayak from the truck to the beach? Or is it a two person job?
I would flip it upsidedown and put the backrest on my shoulders and carry it without issue at a tilt. Basically your hands are in front and above you holding the front of the seat area and then you're shoulders are supporting the weight but the seat thing is comfortable so it's not bad. Don't drag it, you can damage the bottom.

OP
OP
L

LVG

Supporting Member
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
I would flip it upsidedown and put the backrest on my shoulders and carry it without issue at a tilt. Basically your hands are in front and above you holding the front of the seat area. Don't drag it, you can damage the bottom.

Thanks. Appreciate your insight and experience.

Hollywood

is part black.
Reaction score
Mesa, Arizona, USA, Planet Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
My brother has a couple and I have had to pleasure of using one a couple of times. Albeit it was just on a lake but I love it. Super simple to use and the time just flew by. I would love to have one of my own but money is to tight. I dream of kayak camping some day.

This was sent from my cell pjone so please excise any typeos or other errors.

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My brother has a couple and I have had to pleasure of using one a couple of times. Albeit it was just on a lake but I love it. Super simple to use and the time just flew by. I would love to have one of my own but money is to tight. I dream of kayak camping some day.

Kayak camping is awesome, just need some friends who are down too and its hard to bring lots of beer! Kayaks can be rather inexpensive on craigslist if you just keep an eye out.

PS: costco has some OK flat sit on kayaks for $99, my cousin and her son got some and have been using those every weekend. It could at least get you on the water on a budget. Would be tough to camp with it though since it is a sit on kayak, has no compartments.

Last edited:

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I will never forget in 2010, I had one of the most stressful events of my life happening. I went to this event with a kayak on my jeep roof. After leaving my friends were waiting for me at Bartlett lake. The entire drive to the lake I was so wrapped up in my head with stress I kept making wrong turns and missing exits and ended up being an hour late. It was a pretty hard day. Once I got there and put my boat in the water, I sat in the boat, pushed off of the beach and once I was solely on the water only I felt this wave of relaxation course through my entire body. I looked at both my buddies, smiled and we all started singing horrible versions of real songs with much more offensive words. It was one of my favorite trips ever and I really do believe that kayaking is VERY therapeutic. All camping and outdoors stuff does that for me but the kayak is on a whole nother level.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just don't get one with the fins underneath that yuo peddle with, unless you're not using it in the ocean.

Kayak fishing is really popular in California and there's tons of anecdotal evidence that those fins fool great whites into thinking it's a seal. Seen several stories with a group of kayakers where the only one with that sort of kayak got hit by a great white.

My dad used to have a kepler(?) that's a kit kayak you assemble that thing was awesome, he traded it to get a different kind of boat and has regretted it ever since.

I would like to eventually get a kayak for freshwater I've done it a few times and agree it's very mentally relaxing and lots of fun.

Linderbee

Let's GO, CARDINALS!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This thread suddenly has me interested in something I have never had any interest in whatsoever.

Seriously time to get my butt in shape so I can enjoy life more.

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This thread suddenly has me interested in something I have never had any interest in whatsoever.

Seriously time to get my butt in shape so I can enjoy life more.

I recommend the $99 sit on kayaks at costco, great for beginners and super fun to paddle around at the lake, being in shape not required typically.

Linderbee

Let's GO, CARDINALS!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I recommend the $99 sit on kayaks at costco, great for beginners and super fun to paddle around at the lake, being in shape not required typically.
I may try that. What has me really interested is getting to the point of being able to put enough stuff in the back of one to start at one point on a river, going downstream & then camping there.

Ok, stupid ass question...how do you get back to where you started from/your vehicle?

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I may try that. What has me really interested is getting to the point of being able to put enough stuff in the back of one to start at one point on a river, going downstream & then camping there.

Ok, stupid ass question...how do you get back to where you started from/your vehicle?
Two vehicles, one at the bottom one at top

Hollywood

is part black.
Reaction score
Mesa, Arizona, USA, Planet Earth, Milky Way Galaxy

You can always paddle upstream....its harder of course but it isnt like Arizona rivers are fast moving.