Anyone Kayak?

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You can always paddle upstream....its harder of course but it isnt like Arizona rivers are fast moving.

This was sent from my cell pjone so please excise any typeos or other errors.
Lol. Maybe the salt river. I think that would still be brutal though. 2 cars is where it's at. Kayak to camp site and then kayak to 2nd car the next day

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

OP
OP
L

LVG

Supporting Member
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
I may try that. What has me really interested is getting to the point of being able to put enough stuff in the back of one to start at one point on a river, going downstream & then camping there.

Ok, stupid ass question...how do you get back to where you started from/your vehicle?

That's been an idea of mine for a while - start off at upper Lake Mead (or maybe Willow Beach, which is just downstream from Hoover dam), kayak down to Parker dam. Multi-day trip; easy paddling; would need some shore support to get around Hoover and Davis dams.

I've heard the river gets a bit dodgy after Parker dam, but you probably could make Ehrenberg on the 10 without much trouble.

OP
OP
L

LVG

Supporting Member
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
I personally own a Swifty 9.5 and absolutely love it. It's quick in flat water but if you want to be able to jump in the water and back on your boat, you'll want a sit on instead of sit on kayak. Mine is more for river kayaking.

I wouldn't bother with training while flat water paddling besides a few YouTube videos of how to paddle properly. Even the salt river is so basic it's hard to mess up. I have done the Verde river under high rapid and it's challenging along with a learning curve for running into brush, which way to lean and etc. For that some training may be very helpful

Hey BRR - what length of paddle do you use with your Swifty?

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks. Based on my height and the width of a Swifty, I opted for a 240cm feather paddle.
Should be able to break it down too when traveling it'll slide right in to kayak. Typically you can rotate the two sides with three different angle options for the paddles, play with it until it fits your paddle style

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
I was getting into kayaking when I was about 19 or so......but I am top heavy....did a barrel roll one day and almost didn't get back upright....never been in a kayak since.

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was getting into kayaking when I was about 19 or so......but I am top heavy....did a barrel roll one day and almost didn't get back upright....never been in a kayak since.

certain kayaks hold you in so you can roll back to the standard position. Other kayaks are made big enough so that when you tip, you fall out. Just depends on what you want and what kind of kayaking you are doing. A swifty is not tight enough to hold you in, it is build for ejecting. Only creek boats should hold you in.

OP
OP
L

LVG

Supporting Member
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
Well, the kayak is shipped. I hope it gets here in time so I can take it out the week between finals and bar prep.

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
certain kayaks hold you in so you can roll back to the standard position. Other kayaks are made big enough so that when you tip, you fall out. Just depends on what you want and what kind of kayaking you are doing. A swifty is not tight enough to hold you in, it is build for ejecting. Only creek boats should hold you in.

not sure which one I had... but I have 36 inch thighs...was stuck in the boat...damn near drowned that day, lol.

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well, the kayak is shipped. I hope it gets here in time so I can take it out the week between finals and bar prep.

lol shipped? No craigslist or sporting goods stores?

I wonder what the ups guy thinks when he goes to grab a package and its a 10 ft kayak LOL

OP
OP
L

LVG

Supporting Member
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
lol shipped? No craigslist or sporting goods stores?

I wonder what the ups guy thinks when he goes to grab a package and its a 10 ft kayak LOL

Yep - shipped. Decent deal, wanted a new boat that someone could personally recommend. Apparently the Swifty 9.5 has been discontinued. No worries.

Being shipped ABF. Should be here in a week.

Found out my law firm boss just bought a pair of kayaks. He's been itching to get out on the Colorado. So it looks like it will be a great investment. Also having a few other lawyers and law students wanting to come along.

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yep - shipped. Decent deal, wanted a new boat that someone could personally recommend. Apparently the Swifty 9.5 has been discontinued. No worries.

Being shipped ABF. Should be here in a week.

Found out my law firm boss just bought a pair of kayaks. He's been itching to get out on the Colorado. So it looks like it will be a great investment. Also having a few other lawyers and law students wanting to come along.

:raccoon: Good times ahead!

OP
OP
L

LVG

Supporting Member
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
Took it out twice so far and have had a blast. The first time, when I was just playing around to figure out how it tracked and maneuvered, my wife wanted a go because it looked fun.

She got out in 8 feet of water and promptly rolled the 'yak. In calm weather. In a no-boat zone.

I took it up the Colorado yesterday for about 7 hours. Certainly a bit sore, but I found some good camping grounds. May make a two or three day trip up the river sometime soon.

Only complaint - the foot pegs are too short. If I put my feet on them, my knees stick up so high that I have a problem paddling. I find it much more comfortable just to lay my legs flat on the 'yak.

Overall, love the thing. Thanks again BRR!

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Took it out twice so far and have had a blast. The first time, when I was just playing around to figure out how it tracked and maneuvered, my wife wanted a go because it looked fun.

She got out in 8 feet of water and promptly rolled the 'yak. In calm weather. In a no-boat zone.

I took it up the Colorado yesterday for about 7 hours. Certainly a bit sore, but I found some good camping grounds. May make a two or three day trip up the river sometime soon.

Only complaint - the foot pegs are too short. If I put my feet on them, my knees stick up so high that I have a problem paddling. I find it much more comfortable just to lay my legs flat on the 'yak.

Overall, love the thing. Thanks again BRR!

Are the foot pegs not adjustable? I can move mine to be like you described and can also slide them back so far that I can barely reach them.

Glad you are enjoying it. Tips are part of the learning process, hopefully she keeps at it.

OP
OP
L

LVG

Supporting Member
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
Are the foot pegs not adjustable? I can move mine to be like you described and can also slide them back so far that I can barely reach them.

Glad you are enjoying it. Tips are part of the learning process, hopefully she keeps at it.

They're adjustable, but even at the farthest position, my knees stick out like sore thumbs. Knees are about at nipple level (probably TMI).

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
They're adjustable, but even at the farthest position, my knees stick out like sore thumbs. Knees are about at nipple level (probably TMI).

that is rather odd, kayaking in a river with rapids will be far more difficult with your feet on the floor instead of on the pegs, it affects your balance. Maybe there is a local handy guy that is an avid boater that can present a solution to you.

OP
OP
L

LVG

Supporting Member
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
that is rather odd, kayaking in a river with rapids will be far more difficult with your feet on the floor instead of on the pegs, it affects your balance. Maybe there is a local handy guy that is an avid boater that can present a solution to you.

Don't think I'm going to be doing any WW in this one. But if I do, I'll have to change the foot rests.

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score

at 37...nipple level may be pretty high....give it 20 more years,...and nipple level will be a bit lower...

Bert

Walkin' on Sunshine
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
I'm actually thinking about getting into this now that I'm not so fat, lol. Id love to take one down the upper salt river and get some photos, because there are some amazing canyons that are only accessible from the water.

Anyone recommend a good starter kyak for a 6' 250lb guy

OP
OP
L

LVG

Supporting Member
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
I'm actually thinking about getting into this now that I'm not so fat, lol. Id love to take one down the upper salt river and get some photos, because there are some amazing canyons that are only accessible from the water.

Anyone recommend a good starter kyak for a 6' 250lb guy

BRR and I are both 6'5", about 240 lbs. He recommended a Swifty 9.5, which I've used several times and recommend. It's wide and stable. Mine doesn't track the straightest, but I can handle it in and out of the water by myself. The price is right too, going between 350 new and 100 used. It's not as fast as the more slender kayaks, but it's not slow either.

Expect to spend about 50-75 for a paddle, and about the same for a life jacket. Figure about 25-100 to haul it, depending on what you already have (cargo rack, extend-a-bed, etc.)

Bert

Walkin' on Sunshine
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
I didnt even think about getting a used one. That's a great idea, thanks LVG! I will post a link to whatever I'm thinking of getting on here and you guys can give me your thoughts, although I'm very coachable and will probably wind up getting exactly what you said. :)

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I didnt even think about getting a used one. That's a great idea, thanks LVG! I will post a link to whatever I'm thinking of getting on here and you guys can give me your thoughts, although I'm very coachable and will probably wind up getting exactly what you said. :)

I bought my swifty on craigslist, if you buy used just inspect the bottom. People tend to drag their kayaks around and damage the bottom. If there are not holes or massive gashes, you are good.

Apparently you should also check to foot pegs and make sure they go down far enough that you can sit comfortably with your feet on the pegs (provides balance)

My swifty also has "perception" on it, found a few online

http://www.dickssportinggoods.com/p...86:17919823-DSG:PADDLE-SPORTS_KAYAKING_KAYAKS

REI included a paddle https://www.rei.com/product/101163/...-1011630001&CAWELAID=120217890002303448&lsft=

reviews for 9'5'' perception kayaks http://www.paddling.net/Reviews/showReviews.html?prod=93

Here are two on craigslist for $300 total including paddles. one is 10' https://phoenix.craigslist.org/evl/boa/5563692747.html I allmost contacted this one but i shouldnt buy kayaks today

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard