Anybody think this may have been the case??

tommcnabb

The Punisher
Reaction score
Did anybody notice the AZCentral article where Colangelo admitted that within 24 hours of Isaiah taking over the Knicks, he was trying to get Marbury???

Maybe I'll put the link later or someone else will.

I think he was pursued more than he was shopped.

Possible that Colangelo didn't want to get rid of him as much as the Knicks wanted him? Then, BC says "You can have Marbury, but you gotta take Penny"

schutd

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Originally posted by tommcnabb
Did anybody notice the AZCentral article where Colangelo admitted that within 24 hours of Isaiah taking over the Knicks, he was trying to get Marbury???

Maybe I'll put the link later or someone else will.

I think he was pursued more than he was shopped.

Possible that Colangelo didn't want to get rid of him as much as the Knicks wanted him? Then, BC says "You can have Marbury, but you gotta take Penny"

Its absolutely how I thought it happened. And now that it has, maybe the C's WILL be looking to make more moves to clear even more space.

Joe Mama

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Re: Re: Anybody think this may have been the case??

Originally posted by schutd
Its absolutely how I thought it happened. And now that it has, maybe the C's WILL be looking to make more moves to clear even more space.

You know that's how I feel it happened. I don't think for a second they were looking to blow up the team. I mean if you look at what Isaiah Thomas gave up its really incredible. He gave up two guys that would have been lottery picks last year, two more first-round draft picks, all of his expiring contracts, he took back Penny Hardaway's contract, and to top it off they threw in $3 million cash.

The Colangelos had to know they would take a public hit for this trade after they had marketed Marbury and the big three so strongly. It was just too good to pass up.

Joe Mama

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score
I agree with you guys. It would be really hard to say "NO" to somebody offering to take Hardaway, give you an expiring contract, buy- out option and two picks.

Goldfield

Formally known as BEERZ
Reaction score
Originally posted by SirStefan32
I agree with you guys. It would be really hard to say "NO" to somebody offering to take Hardaway, give you an expiring contract, buy- out option and two picks.
AND two promising euro players that is a need for this team.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Re: Re: Re: Anybody think this may have been the case??

Originally posted by Joe Mama
You know that's how I feel it happened. I don't think for a second they were looking to blow up the team. I mean if you look at what Isaiah Thomas gave up its really incredible. He gave up two guys that would have been lottery picks last year, two more first-round draft picks, all of his expiring contracts, he took back Penny Hardaway's contract, and to top it off they threw in $3 million cash.

The Colangelos had to know they would take a public hit for this trade after they had marketed Marbury and the big three so strongly. It was just too good to pass up.

Joe Mama

As an opponent of the trade, this is one of the best and most succinct descriptions of the trade.

My whole problem now is with the amount of cap space we will have at the end of the year. 8-9 million won't get us much, unfortunately, not in the current NBA climate.

My guess is that the C's really have their eye on a specific player (Kobe?) and are trying to position themselves for it. My problem is that if they are NOT trying to position themselves for Kobe, then what are they doing? The free agent list next summer is NOT that appetizing, certainly not appetizing enough to get cap room by trading your best player.

jbeecham

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Well if the Suns keep their draft pick and the NY pick and they are both in the lottery then the Suns may only have about 5 million in cap space unless they make further moves. Any further moves would have to be trying to get rid of White or Eisley or possibly even Marion.

sunsfn

Reaction score
Ths suns may try to work a deal with the new Charlotte team to take a player off a team that they want and give them a pick (s) and or players in return.

There may be some players that are not going to be protected that the suns may want and Charlotte does not want.

I think there will be a few players that are left unprotected in hopes they are not taken because of the salary etc.

:)

Tank

Wifi Guru
Reaction score
Originally posted by sunsfn
Ths suns may try to work a deal with the new Charlotte team to take a player off a team that they want and give them a pick (s) and or players in return.

There may be some players that are not going to be protected that the suns may want and Charlotte does not want.

I think there will be a few players that are left unprotected in hopes they are not taken because of the salary etc.

:)

I was thinking about this, and does anyone think there may be a chance that we leave Marion unprotected?

I bet if we did, then Charlotte would jump all over it to get him on their team, and then there would be another 11 mil off our cap for next year that we could use for free agents :)

I know that according to the expansion draft rules, teams can only protect 8 players and then after one is taken, they have the rest protected, but I wonder if the Suns could work something out before hand with them like, we leave Marion unprotected for Charlotte to take, if they also take Eisley or White.

I like this trade. Suddenly this team has some options and a possible future.

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score
Originally posted by Tank
I was thinking about this, and does anyone think there may be a chance that we leave Marion unprotected?

Holy cow, I didn't even think about that. I like that idea.

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
Losing Marion for nothing is stupid.

If we wanted to trade him we could most likely get expiring contracts and picks from a team like Utah.

Also if we lose Marion, the chances of getting Kobe are getting worse. You need some star players to attract FAs.

Marion = Pippen
Kobe = Jordan

You all know that would be the general view of the Suns if Kobe came here. Plus Amare of course.

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
Amare
Marion
Zarko
Barbosa
Johnson
Lampe

Those are the only players the Suns will probably protect.

The rest are free agents or the Suns wouldn't want to protect them to shed salaries like Jacobsen, Voshkul, White or Eisley.

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score
Originally posted by slinslin
Losing Marion for nothing is stupid.

If we wanted to trade him we could most likely get expiring contracts and picks from a team like Utah.

Also if we lose Marion, the chances of getting Kobe are getting worse. You need some star players to attract FAs.

Marion = Pippen
Kobe = Jordan

You all know that would be the general view of the Suns if Kobe came here. Plus Amare of course.

Huh? Where is the analogy between Pipp and MJ to Marion and Kobe. We already have a star anyway- Stoudemire!

I'd be willing to lose Marion for "nothing" if I could use that "nothing" to offer Kobe more money than anyone else.

:thumbup:

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
Nobody can offer Kobe more than LA.

We can offer Kobe the max without losing Marion.

Losing Marion for nothing is just stupid, it really is.

thegrahamcrackr

Reaction score
I agree with Slin, it is very stupid.

It is similar to if we were to leave Marbury unprotected. Instead we were able absorb NYs future and combine it with ours.

Now I am not saying we would be able to get nearly as much for Marion, but he is the ultimate complimentary player, and will fill any need you have. His numbers have been pretty nice lately. He is considered one of the good guys in the league.

We could defintely get a lot for Marion, if the Cs wanted to go that route. However, I don't think they do. BC stressed in his interviews several times yesterday that we have the most athletic, best rebounding forward tandem in the league.

You do not need a top notch PG to win a championship. In fact, was Thomas the last pg who was the best player on his team when they won a ring???

You do need a solid low post guy, and great complimentary players, and an above average play maker.

Joe Mama

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I disagree. I believe Shawn Marion has negative trade value right now. I doubt anybody is beating down the doors trying to get him for expiring contracts and draft picks. He is a player with a brand-new maximum contract who is not actually a maximum contract worthy player. That's just not a hot commodity.

Joe Mama

George O'Brien

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Originally posted by Joe Mama
I disagree. I believe Shawn Marion has negative trade value right now. I doubt anybody is beating down the doors trying to get him for expiring contracts and draft picks. He is a player with a brand-new maximum contract who is not actually a maximum contract worthy player. That's just not a hot commodity.

Joe Mama

At various times I've suggested that Marion is about $2 million a year overpaid. This makes him difficult tor trade for full value, but that's not a prohitive problem if the situation comes up in some four or five way trade.

Eisley is at leat $3 million overpaid, on a $6 million a year contract. He was considered totally untradable when with the Knicks but he was moved. (By the way, Trybanski is 100% overpaid and he gets traded all the time).

I'm not sure how much the Knicks offered to get rid of Eisley. Probably not two draft picks and some top prospects. I'm not sure what it will take to move Eisley this summer, but that should be their first priority.