Anybody read the Mack Bolan series of books?

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have to get one my buddy from highschool Chuck Rogers is now writing them apparently a ton of people have done so. The author name is technically Don Pendleton.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mack_Bolan

All through school Chuck wanted to be a writer and these ones seem right up his alley they have a lot of military and spy angles. he also told me he often creates characters based on friends, he just jumbles up the name.

I'm going to buy one just curious what people think. I looked on Amazon and the reviews were all over the place they either loved his version of it or hated it.

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I used to read them in high school, but haven't (and likely won't -- no offense to your friend) for a long time.

OP
OP
Russ Smith

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I used to read them in high school, but haven't (and likely won't -- no offense to your friend) for a long time.

I love Dirk Pitt novels from Clive Cussler so I figured I'll give one a try just to see if they're at all similar.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I love Dirk Pitt novels from Clive Cussler so I figured I'll give one a try just to see if they're at all similar.

It's been awhile for me but no, I wouldn't really compare them to the Dirk Pitt series. Initially, when Don was still writing the series they would most closely resemble the Matt Helm series by Donald Hamilton. Pendleton stopped writing the books after the first 28 or so (IIRC, which I'm sure I don't) and a slew of authors picked up the characters/series at that point.

Originally, it was called the Executioner series but after time it just became Mack Bolan (plus there were several spinoff series involving some of the same characters and frequent crossovers. Another series that would more closely resemble this one is the Destroyer series although that one had a bit more humor.

I'd give it a read if one of my friends were writing it but IMO the series ran aground some time ago. Still, I've read several hundred books (600 or so) in the Mack Bolan universe so I guess I don't completely hate it. Through the years, some fairly solid authors have cut their teeth writing this stuff.

Steve

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I once had 100-125 of the Mack Bolan books. Read at least the first 75 of them too.

Had/read some of the Able Team and Phoenix Force spinoffs.

Eventually got tired of the same story over and over and sold all my books to a woman who wanted them for her pre-teen sons. Always hoped they enjoyed them.

Also read the short series of Ashton Ford books by Pendleton. Ashes to Ashes, Eye to Eye, etc.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I once had 100-125 of the Mack Bolan books. Read at least the first 75 of them too.

Had/read some of the Able Team and Phoenix Force spinoffs.

Eventually got tired of the same story over and over and sold all my books to a woman who wanted them for her pre-teen sons. Always hoped they enjoyed them.

Also read the short series of Ashton Ford books by Pendleton. Ashes to Ashes, Eye to Eye, etc.

I still have my books but they're boxed up and taking up space in the rafters of my garage. Although it goes way back, I don't think I ever forgave them for killing off April.

Steve

OP
OP
Russ Smith

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's been awhile for me but no, I wouldn't really compare them to the Dirk Pitt series. Initially, when Don was still writing the series they would most closely resemble the Matt Helm series by Donald Hamilton. Pendleton stopped writing the books after the first 28 or so (IIRC, which I'm sure I don't) and a slew of authors picked up the characters/series at that point.

Originally, it was called the Executioner series but after time it just became Mack Bolan (plus there were several spinoff series involving some of the same characters and frequent crossovers. Another series that would more closely resemble this one is the Destroyer series although that one had a bit more humor.

I'd give it a read if one of my friends were writing it but IMO the series ran aground some time ago. Still, I've read several hundred books (600 or so) in the Mack Bolan universe so I guess I don't completely hate it. Through the years, some fairly solid authors have cut their teeth writing this stuff.

Steve

Interesting with that many books it would be pretty tough to keep it fresh so yeah I can see where it would seem like the same story over and over.

I'll buy one and read it just out of curiosity.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
I read them before. The first ones are pretty good. You get a sense of The Mob being this unlimited huge organization that would take a lifetime to eliminate! ;-)

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson