Antwan Peek

SECTION 11

vibraslap
Reaction score
Pro Football Weekly
You have to wonder if Peek has reached his peak, in terms of size. He started playing football as a receiver and kept gaining weight, even though he didn’t want to put it on. Despite eating endless salads to try to keep his weight down, he went from being a wideout his freshman year to a defensive back his sophomore year to a linebacker his junior year to finally a defensive end this year, as he kept gaining at least 20 pounds a year.
Peek, who idolizes Lawrence Taylor and plays like him with a high motor, could be a sleeper. At 246 pounds, he’s pretty light, but his dad weighs 280 pounds. He has 5 percent body fat and has impressed enough scouts to probably get selected on the first day of the draft at the very least.

The only game I saw him play in was an unexpected thriller against OSU in the Bengals new stadium (which I'm dying to see in person. Apart from the clay-based field, which is supposedly a problem in Pittsburgh and Cleveland as well, it's supposed to be top notch).

He's been filling out and maintaining / gaining speed.

If I had my druthers, I'd take Newman or Robertson in the first, and take a speed rush guy like Peek in the second.

I also like Redding in the second if he lasts to 37.

Call me crazy, but I also like Bryant Johnson out of Penn State (sorry grandma).

Perhaps some of our "cash" would be wisely spent landing the best DE coach available.
Who is the Jerry Sullivan of DE's, and how do we get him here?

Cards Czar

The Bird is the Word
Reaction score
His name is Cary Godette here is his bio!!

Arizona Names Cary Godette Assistant Defensive Line Coach

Cary Godette, a five-year NFL assistant with the Carolina Panthers (1995) and Miami Dolphins (1996–99) and a 21-season college coach, has been named assistant defensive line coach for the Arizona Cardinals. Godette will assist defensive line coach Joe Greene.

Last year, Godette served as assistant head coach at Western Carolina.

An all-America defensive end at East Carolina in 1976, Godette entered
the coaching arena in 1977 at his alma mater as defensive line coach, then served for three years at Wyoming, tutoring the Cowboys’ defensive ends (1980) and linebackers (1981–82).

In 1983, Godette began a six-year stint at the University of Cincinnati where he coached the Bearcats’ defensive ends (1983), outside linebackers (1984), tight ends (1985–86), and defensive line (1987–88)
in addition to recruiting and game operations responsibilities.

After a season as an assistant at Terry Sanford High School in Fayetteville, N.C. in 1989, Godette returned to the college coaching ranks, beginning with two seasons at East Carolina (1990–91) and Georgia Tech (1992–93) and another at North Carolina State (1994).

His first NFL assignment came in 1995 as defensive line coach for Carolina, followed by four years with the Miami Dolphins (1996–99). He also participated in the NFL’s Minority Internship Program with the Dallas Cowboys during their 1992 training camp.

In 2000, Godette returned to the college level for two seasons at North Carolina State before spending the 2002 campaign at Western Carolina.

Overall, Godette has coached in five college bowl games, the 2002 Tangerine, 2000 Micronpc.com, and 1994 Peach Bowl with N.C. State, and the 1991 Peach and 1987 Independence Bowl with East Carolina.

Navy Mike

Ed B

The Matt Joyce of Posting
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Peek is just an edge rusher from what I've seen, but he's one hell of an edge rusher. His game against Maryland this year was unreal.

You hit the nail on the head though, he will need good coaching and some extra weight.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
Originally posted by SECTION 11
Call me crazy, but I also like Bryant Johnson out of Penn State (sorry grandma).

Hmmmhahahahahahahahahahaha!!! The disease is spreading! The seed has taken root! My work here has just begun!!!

BACH

Superbowl, Homeboy!
Reaction score
Antwan Peek
War Room analysis
Strengths: Is a playmaker when turned loose upfield. Shows exceptional quickness and initial burst. Has outstanding speed to turn the corner when pass rushing. Has explosive upper-body quickness. Excels at using swim and club moves to get back inside. Shows great closing speed and much big-play flair as a tackler. Forces a lot of fumbles. Is most comfortable being active against the run in the open field. Never stops hustling. Chases down many plays from behind. Can close off the edge and pursue from the backside.

Weaknesses: Is vastly undersized for an NFL end. Is a much better pass rusher than run defender. Lacks both the base and lower-body strength to take on blocks in tight spaces inside. Rarely dropped into coverage in college.

Bottom line: Peek, recruited as a wide receiver, actually played defensive back as a freshman at Cincinnati. He emerged as a solid end as a senior, and has the potential to contribute immediately as an edge rusher in the NFL. He also has the ideal combination of size and speed to cover kickoffs and a knack for blocking kicks. It would be surprising if Peek slipped past the fourth round.

Dan Pompei analysis
This undersized prospect had an excellent Combine, showing off his ample athletic skills. Shows a good first step and speed off the edge. Lacks strength and flexibility. Must develop an inside rush. Could have been more productive. Former safety. Could be an outside linebacker in a 3-4.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jdndndn