Ansah is an absolute freak...

binkar

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Apparently, he never trained for the 40 leading up to the combine. He must have the worst agent of all time, but it's still impressive (if true).

*Many people were impressed with Ziggy Ansah’s 4.56 40 yard dash at 271 pounds, and rightfully so. But they would have been more impressed if they knew Ansah didn’t even train for the event. Unlike probably every other player in attendance, Ansah kept going to class and never worked with an outside trainer to prepare for the combine. In fact, the 40 yard dash he ran at the combine was the first of his life, according to his agent Frank Bauer. It should be noted, however, that Ansah did run 100 meter dash and the 200 meters on the Brigham Young track team before he became a football player. - See more at: http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/NFP-Sunday-Blitz-1729.html#sthash.GuusV2JW.dpuf

http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/NFP-Sunday-Blitz-1729.html

Also some interesting stuff on QBs and intangibles at the link.

juza76

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Ansah Jordan wormack fisher smith. Great options.olb in bowles defense is more focused in rushing the passer. Especially Who play in the strong side, like cameron wake. So i guess ansah can fit on this defense considering his Huge upside. With koepernick and Wilson against in division they need a Great pass rusher. And there is not now in the team

Last edited:

Mitch

Crawled Through 5 FB Fields
Reaction score
What I love too about the prospect of drafting Ansah is the thought of what Tom Pratt can do in turning him into an elite pass rusher. What I know already about Ansah is that when a QB scrambles to his side he has an uncanny ability to disengage his blocker and track down the QB in a flash. In the NFC West that ability could make a huge difference.

WildBB

Yogi n da Bear
Reaction score
Ansah Jordan wormack fisher smith. Great options.olb in bowles defense is more focused in rushing the passer. Especially Who play in the strong side, like cameron wake. So i guess ansah can fit on this defense considering his Huge upside. With koepernick and Wilson against in division they need a Great pass rusher. And there is not now in the team

He's got tremendous upside. Could be the real deal. MOST intriguing prospect right now. Top 10!? Wow! Could be the one who could make the D elite.

WildBB

Yogi n da Bear
Reaction score
Same article on Dion Jordan: This kids a stud.

*The most impressive body of the combine probably belonged to Oregon defensive end Dion Jordan. At 6-6, 248 pounds, he checked into the Bod Pod with a body fat measurement of 3.8 percent—third lowest of any player at any position. What’s more, Jordan’s arms measured 33 7/8ths inches, and his hands were 10 inches.

SissyBoyFloyd

Pawnee, Skidi Clan
Reaction score
I think we can't go wrong with either one with our 1st pick, whichever the coaches feel they can use in the most creative ways.

juza76

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
How many chance has an ex offensive coach and rookie head coach to select a defensive player first?

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
Mediocre in the Mountain West. People compare him to Jason Pierre-Paul but JPP had better tape and he was 2 years younger.

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
Mediocre in the Mountain West. People compare him to Jason Pierre-Paul but JPP had better tape and he was 2 years younger.
I think Ansah has as much upside as anyone but he also could be a colossal failure if he is unable to pick up the NFL game because he won't get by on athletic ability alone.

I think Jordan will be a better player and a better fit for the Cards scheme. I wouldn't hate a pick of Ansah but I'm pretty much settled on either Jordan or Warmack as my picks for the Cards.

Last edited:

Garthshort

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Have to agree with the point that Gatorhater makes in comparing Ansah to JPP. Very similar players, but Ansah is even more raw and it took JPP a year to develop. So if we take Ansah don't expect too much from him in his rookie year as a pass rusher. Should be a big contributor on ST's. A good pick, but it will probably take at least a year, or more, to develop his pass rush skills. An OL guy can probably step in and play right away, but elite pass rushers are harder to find. That's why we are paying Steve Keim the big bucks to make these decisions. JMO.

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Have to agree with the point that Gatorhater makes in comparing Ansah to JPP. Very similar players, but Ansah is even more raw and it took JPP a year to develop. So if we take Ansah don't expect too much from him in his rookie year as a pass rusher. Should be a big contributor on ST's. A good pick, but it will probably take at least a year, or more, to develop his pass rush skills. An OL guy can probably step in and play right away, but elite pass rushers are harder to find. That's why we are paying Steve Keim the big bucks to make these decisions. JMO.
Would you rather have a raw Ansah at 7 or an equally raw Margus Hunt at #38?

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Ansah isn't a 3-4 OLB. He's a 4-3 DE, like the kid from UNC the Rams drafted last year.

joeshmo

Kangol Hat Aficionado
Reaction score
Would you rather have a raw Ansah at 7 or an equally raw Margus Hunt at #38?

Sure both ran fast and were absolute freaks at the combine, but can either one play in a 3-4 and play in space?

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Sure both ran fast and were absolute freaks at the combine, but can either one play in a 3-4 and play in space?
Good question. Hunt would look good with his hand down opposite Calais in a 3-4. Ansah looks more like an active edge rusher - either as a 4-3 rush end or possibly a 3-4 OLB, but can he handle coverage?

Goldfield

Formally known as BEERZ
Reaction score
I would love Hunt at 38. He would be perfect opposite Campbell.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Ansah isn't a 3-4 OLB. He's a 4-3 DE, like the kid from UNC the Rams drafted last year.

I could find a place for him in a 3-4 I promise you. My worry always comes down to how fast can he learn the game not where does he fit in my defense?

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
I could find a place for him in a 3-4 I promise you. My worry always comes down to how fast can he learn the game not where does he fit in my defense?

I guess you could find a place for him, but with the pieces we have in place, I don't know if you're going to throw a monkey-wrench into it in a Top 10 pick that you're not going to get anything out of until you and your coaching staff fired.

3-4 OLB is one of the most difficult positions to master in football--both mentally and physically. The guy has played one year of mid-level college football. Unless I'm building my franchise from scratch, I'd rather take Dion Jordan.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
I guess you could find a place for him, but with the pieces we have in place, I don't know if you're going to throw a monkey-wrench into it in a Top 10 pick that you're not going to get anything out of until you and your coaching staff fired.

3-4 OLB is one of the most difficult positions to master in football--both mentally and physically. The guy has played one year of mid-level college football. Unless I'm building my franchise from scratch, I'd rather take Dion Jordan.

I agree Ansah is a huge risk.

I agree, I would prefer Dion Jordan.

I don't think the Cardinals are the type of team that can develop a player like Ansah.

I'm not sure Bowles is creative enough to find the spots to get production out of Ansah sooner rather than later.

My point is Ansah is less of a scheme risk than he is a developmental risk.

Mitch

Crawled Through 5 FB Fields
Reaction score
I think Ansah is made to order to play the strong OLB in the 34 and be able to double as an edge DE rusher in the 4 man rush---which is the luxury the Steelers have with Woodley and Harrison.

Ansah looks like a faster, quicker version of Woodley. Looks just as strong.

He seems like a quick learner too. Yes, there's risk, but at the very least he can rush the passer from day one. And he can get off his blocks to take down a QB on the move in a flash.

OP
OP
binkar

binkar

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I have confidence Pratt can be a good teacher. He has spent the last few years working with a number of players transitioning from a college DE to a standup OLB in the 3-4.

I also like having a player like Sam Acho in the position group who is highly intelligent, and a good person. I assume he could help answer a number of Ansah's questions and aid in his development.

I don't think Hunt and Ansah are really comparable. Hunt is more of a 5 technique who is too tight to play OLB in a 3-4, whereas Ansah has all the tools to be a premier pass rasher in the league. In other words, Ansah plays a more premium position IMO.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Who cares? Why is that important when he's going to be under contract for 4 years, and tackles can play into their mid-30s?

Didn't know the dude was white. What a monster.

He is a beast that is for sure. Him and Campbell would be a tough pair of 5 tech's to throw over. I wouldn't mind the Cards taking a shot at him in the second.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jdndndn