Andy Isabella

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
I liked Drake at Miami. COuld always see his potential. I don't see that with Johnson.

I like Jamaal Williams over the guys you mentioned. He's UFA and I doubt the packers resign him.
IMO and from what I have seen, Jamaal Williams lacks the explosiveness of Kenyan Drake.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
One things for sure. The team is better without him. Isabella might be one of the worst value WR picks this franchise has ever picked.

I'm not a Kerryon fan though. What do you see? He's 3rd on the Lions depth chart and could barely get a carry with Swift out recently.

I hate to bring it up because Andy has already done more but I am old enough to remember us passing on Louis Lipps to take Clyde Duncan who most had rated 3rd round or later. Bidwill had a deal with Duncan's agent, so he thought, but then the agent held out. Steelers got Lipps, he was OROY, we got Duncan who finally signed and I think caught 1 pass as a rookie. Again this was the same 1984 season with the Lomax injury and we mised out on the playoffs at the very end. Lipps was a very good WR and punt returner which was exactly what that team needed, if we took Lipps, we make the playoffs in 1984 easily IMO.

Was Andy on the injured list or just a healthy scratch? I saw him standing on the sideline at some point and I thought hey that's why he's not playing, he's not active

SoonerLou

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I think majority is on Kliff, if Andy was put on routes designed to maximize his speed against mismatches, he can still do something.
I think we still could use his speed threat as a decoy at least. Even though its not likely.

One things for sure. The team is better without him. Isabella might be one of the worst value WR picks this franchise has ever picked.

I'm not a Kerryon fan though. What do you see? He's 3rd on the Lions depth chart and could barely get a carry with Swift out recently.
Sometimes wonder if Andy's year goes different with just a couple passes. If Kyler hits him against the Lions late/we win and then he catches that deep pass vs. the Panthers for a TD. That might have jumpstarted his career and built a trust with Kyler.

Seemed like he was just starting to turn the corner.

I hate to bring it up because Andy has already done more but I am old enough to remember us passing on Louis Lipps to take Clyde Duncan who most had rated 3rd round or later. Bidwill had a deal with Duncan's agent, so he thought, but then the agent held out. Steelers got Lipps, he was OROY, we got Duncan who finally signed and I think caught 1 pass as a rookie. Again this was the same 1984 season with the Lomax injury and we mised out on the playoffs at the very end. Lipps was a very good WR and punt returner which was exactly what that team needed, if we took Lipps, we make the playoffs in 1984 easily IMO.

Was Andy on the injured list or just a healthy scratch? I saw him standing on the sideline at some point and I thought hey that's why he's not playing, he's not active
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

TheCardFan

Things have changed.
Reaction score
I still wonder what a competent OC could do with him. Problem is he is not a polished route runner like Welker, Edelman, Beasley or Amendola which is why he is not in their class as a slot receiver. If any of those guys had Isabella's sub 4.4 speed they would have been even more dangerous.

He isn't physical. He isn't big. He can't return kicks. He doesn't make plays when given the opportunity. He is just extremely limited. Some of those things were hinted at heading up to the draft. I didn't like the pick but I didn't think he would be this bad.

Agreed.

AI doesn't have game speed or agility. He basically ran the same 40 time as Tyreek Hill but the way they play couldn't be different. You can clearly see that Hill is close to breaking everything and really can't be covered by most CB's. AI seems slow (outside of running straight up the field) and not "sudden" at all.

At least we didn't waste a late first round pick on N'Keal Harry (like the Patriots) vs taking AJ Brown, McLaurin, or Metcalf.

All we did was waste a top 10 pick on Rosen and then trade him for AI. :)

HairZach

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I think majority is on Kliff, if Andy was put on routes designed to maximize his speed against mismatches, he can still do something.
We did that quite a bit earlier in the year. Kyler would either overthrow him or Andy would straight up not be able to find the ball coming right at him. Andy also had a habit of running the wrong route.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Healthy scratch. Kliff confirmed Keesean has moved past him.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I think we still could use his speed threat as a decoy at least. Even though its not likely.

Sometimes wonder if Andy's year goes different with just a couple passes. If Kyler hits him against the Lions late/we win and then he catches that deep pass vs. the Panthers for a TD. That might have jumpstarted his career and built a trust with Kyler.

Seemed like he was just starting to turn the corner.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

We all watch a lot of football and think if we are honest with ourselves Isabella just doesn't look like he belongs.

He has no twitch, for a fast guy he's not great in a phone booth, he looks clumsy when running, his tracking and hands are poor. There's just nothing there when I see him that says he has something to offer.

Keesean, in limited snaps, has always looked the most likely to develop.

I only think Isabella got this far as a Kliff vanity project.

Andy is a good kid. Works hard. Maybe he can fix some things in the off season. I'd start with stop hitting the weights and start pilates.

Last edited:

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We all watch a lot of football and think if we are honest with ourselves Isabella just doesn't look like he belongs.

He has no twitch, for a fast guy he's not great in a phone booth, he looks clumsy when running, his tracking and hands a poor. There's just nothing there when I see him that says he has something to offer.

Keesean, in limited snaps, has always looked the most likely to develop.

I only think Isabella got this far as a Kliff vanity project.

Andy is a good kid. Works hard. Maybe he can fix some things in the off season. I'd start with stop hitting the weights and start pilates.

I also think this is on the offense and because Fitz is still on the team. Andy's best role would be in the slot and Fitz has been playing there.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I also think this is on the offense and because Fitz is still on the team. Andy's best role would be in the slot and Fitz has been playing there.

Fitz just missed 2 games and the only thing Andy achieved was to get himself scratched.

AZfaninMN

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I hoped that to show itself while Fitz missed games.
For the first half against NE, he had 3 catches for 31 yards and we utilized his speed. Never saw another target, I think, until the deflected ball against the rams a week later.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Not sure what's with Drake this year. Doesn't look the same player as last year or his Miami years. He looks slower, less agile.
Every time you hear a player talk about how they bulked up in the offseason, expect a down year. He bulked up to protect his body (my guess) and has lost the explosiveness which got him tagged.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not sure what's with Drake this year. Doesn't look the same player as last year or his Miami years. He looks slower, less agile.

He had a hip injury yesterday which may have played a role

SoonerLou

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
He is still #5 in the NFL in Rush Yards for Running Backs (obviously a huge gap from the top 2) and tied for #6 in rushing TDs.
Obviously need to do what it takes to win, but these 1 yard TD runs by Drake is going to raise the price on Keim. At least his agent will try with Keim.

Selfishly I sometimes wish Chase gets a few of those goal line carries.

Delmar M Lewis

All Star
Reaction score
Not even close check the great 1st round picks of Clyde Dumcan and Bryant Johnson