American Made .... Tom Cruise as Barry Seal.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That was the point

well, if we're just going to say because of ONE movie, Matt Mchoweveryouspellhisname can play not pretty, how pretty was Tom Cruise playing the hell out of Ron Kovic, taking out his dick that didn't work as a completely busted shell of a human in Born On The Fourth Of July?

OP
OP
Southpaw

Southpaw

Provocateur aka Wallyburger
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My dad was an airline pilot and early in his career when he was making beans he was approached multiple times to fly "private" planes in and out of central America for exhobidant amounts of money. He declined but a buddy of his from the Air Force signed up. One day the guy is landing at a small strip in California and the feds come out from all angles.

He got busted, goes to the clink, keeps his mouth shut... and got murdered in the joint anyway... probably by the cartel who didn't wanna risk anything.
That happened for sure.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You know what Jack Reacher is supposed to look/act like?

The movie was fun, but had ZERO connection with the Jack Reacher of the books.

Who cares what he is supposed to look like? Often actors don't look like their novel counterparts. Has nothing to do with the quality of acting one bit.

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Who cares what he is supposed to look like? Often actors don't look like their novel counterparts. Has nothing to do with the quality of acting one bit.

Many people do.

You aren't going to do a biopic on Andre the Giant and cast a hobbit-size actor, right?

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Many people do.

You aren't going to do a biopic on Andre the Giant and cast a hobbit-size actor, right?
Then stop watching any adaptation movie then, because you'll NEVER be satisfied.

And way to go talking about a much bigger extreme. I hate when people do that.

And hate to break it to you, a lot more people know about Andre the Giant's appearance than they do Jack Reacher.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Many people do.

That's a ridiculous analogy. Pointing out an extreme to make in argument is weak.

I bet if you went down the laundry list of novel adaptations and all the characters in all those books you would find most don't actually look like the characters described in books. Usually, it's a general similarity at most.

It doesn't matter one bit. As long as the spirit of the character is captured it doesn't matter.

Last edited:

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
That's a ridiculous analogy. Pointing out an extreme to make in argument is weak.

I bet if you went down the laundry list of novel adaptations and all the characters in all those books you would fine most don't actually look like the characters described in books. Usually, it's a general similarity at most.

It doesn't matter one bit. As long as the spirit of the character is captured it doesn't matter.
Yeah, I wonder if he complained that The Equalizer in the movie wasn't a short little British guy.

Rivercard

Too much good stuff
Reaction score
What bothers me is that what was a series of events that involved Papa Bush, Pablo Escobar, , the cartel , JFK assasination, RFK assasination, Iran Contra, etc, etc is most likely to be treated like a Mission Impossible sequel for Tom Cruises franchise.

You nail it here Paw. Most likely this is Hollywood turning a hell ride into a pleasure Cruise.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Tom Cruise is a terrible actor. Just terrible.

So untrue. He has taken on some questionable roles, some questionable movies and he appears to be an action junky which doesn't equate to solid roles. However, he is not a terrible actor. Terrible actors don't get multiple nominations for Oscars.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes they do. Just as great actors never get nominated for Oscars.

But that's just, like, my opinion, man. :)

Multiple times? No they don't. It's about the roles and people around them that help them pick the parts. Tom Hanks had a string of bombs early in his career and was considered a terrible actor at one point in his career. Nobody questions what a great actor he is now.

Rivercard

Too much good stuff
Reaction score
Tom Hanks had a string of bombs early in his career and was considered a terrible actor at one point in his career. Nobody questions what a great actor he is now.

Tom Cruise is no Tom Hanks. Can you imagine Cruise giving Captain Phillips and Sully the Barry Seal pretty boy make-over?

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Tom Cruise is no Tom Hanks. Can you imagine Cruise giving Captain Phillips and Sully the Barry Seal pretty boy make-over?

Watching Tom Cruise in Born on the 4th of July says to me he can do just about anything given the right part. Some parts simply don't fit regardless of how good an actor is. There are a ton of great actors I would not have wanted in the part of Sully or Captain Phillips.

Cheesewater

(ex-Uriah Heep)
Reaction score
Tom Hanks had a string of bombs early in his career and was considered a terrible actor at one point in his career. Nobody questions what a great actor he is now.

Just so I know, on a scale of one to ten, where do Hanks and Cruise rank in your opinion?

I'm not arguing whether or not the Academy thinks Tom Cruise is terrible. In fact I thought it was clear that I was indicating that Oscar nominations don't hold any sway with my opinion one way or the other. How I consider a performance is not validated or invalidated by AMPAS.

It's a personal opinion. I NEVER believe Tom Cruise. The quality is just not there for me. Whenever I see him act, it takes but a mere moment for me to run down a list in my head of 5 or ten other actors I'd rather see in the role.

Rivercard

Too much good stuff
Reaction score
Watching Tom Cruise in Born on the 4th of July says to me he can do just about anything given the right part. Some parts simply don't fit regardless of how good an actor is. There are a ton of great actors I would not have wanted in the part of Sully or Captain Phillips.

That was a Tom Cruise who left the building years ago.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
That was a Tom Cruise who left the building years ago.

I sort of agree which is why I said it's about the parts you choose and the movies you pick. I think Tom is an adrenaline junky. I think if you look at his recent parts it's all about the stunts and action. I was merely making the point that he has proven over his career he can act with the best of em.

Off the top of my head, Born on the 4th of July, Color of Money, Magnolia, A Few Good Men, the Firm, Risky Business, The Last Samurai, Far and Away, Jerry Maguire and Rain Man. Not to mention his hilarious turns in Rock of Ages and Tropic Thunder.

People don't give him much credit because of all the other types of roles he takes. I get that.

OP
OP
Southpaw

Southpaw

Provocateur aka Wallyburger
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Tom Cruise' best role and performance.....

Les Grossman Tropic Thunder ...:devil:

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Just so I know, on a scale of one to ten, where do Hanks and Cruise rank in your opinion?

I'm not arguing whether or not the Academy thinks Tom Cruise is terrible. In fact I thought it was clear that I was indicating that Oscar nominations don't hold any sway with my opinion one way or the other. How I consider a performance is not validated or invalidated by AMPAS.

It's a personal opinion. I NEVER believe Tom Cruise. The quality is just not there for me. Whenever I see him act, it takes but a mere moment for me to run down a list in my head of 5 or ten other actors I'd rather see in the role.
Tom Hanks - 9
Tom Cruise - 8

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I wonder if he complained that The Equalizer in the movie wasn't a short little British guy.

What short little British guy?! Did you ever actually watch The Equalizer on TV? Edward Woodward was 6'0". Denzel is a whole inch taller at 6'1".

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard