American Made .... Tom Cruise as Barry Seal.

Southpaw

Provocateur aka Wallyburger
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just saw the 1st promo on NFL Network game tonight. No way in hell this movie can even touch the life and times of Barry Seal.

For the real Barry Seal try and find " Barry and the Boys" written by Daniel Hopsicker.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

You must be registered for see images attach

This book was pulled right after the publishing (circa 2001). It is now a collector's item. About a $100.00 for the paperback. I was fortunate to meet Dan Hopsicker and communicated with him for years. Dude knows his shiite.

MrYeahBut

4 Food groups: beans, chili, cheese, bacon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I saw the preview and thought no way is this as good as Narcos.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Cruise gets a lot of crap (some deservedly so) but he is still a great actor with the right part. He is a 3 time Oscar nominee for Pete's sake and I think he was robbed at least twice. At the very least he should have received it for Born on the 4th of July.

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm just over him. Nowadays I feel like I'm just watching Tom Cruise, not the character he is supposed to be. I did like 4th Of July and Magnolia though.

That seems to be the take on this by some of the critics already, too.

"Who cares about the true story? Let's just make it a rollicking good time 'Tom Cruise' movie !!"

Pretty sure we'll wait for Netflix or Prime on this one. No need to see it in the theater.

I have heard that the Dennis Hopper portrayal in Doublecrossed (HBO Films 1991) is worth a watch.

Here it is on Youtube:

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm just over him. Nowadays I feel like I'm just watching Tom Cruise, not the character he is supposed to be. I did like 4th Of July and Magnolia though.

I agree. Too pretty boy for many of the roles he plays now.

OP
OP
Southpaw

Southpaw

Supporting Member
Reaction score
OP
OP
Southpaw

Southpaw

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Decaprio, McConaughey, Afleck coulda played the part

OP
OP
Southpaw

Southpaw

Supporting Member
Reaction score

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
And...? Cruise is as good an actor as any of those guys and maybe better than at least Affleck.

Dback Jon complaining about pretty boy Cruise, yet that fits all 3 of these guys.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
it's Cruise and Liman helming. I'm in... even though I have hesitations. it won't be a gritty retelling of what actually happened, but I'm guessing it will still be a lot of fun... that bombs at the box office.

Still think Edge Of Tomorrow (which Liman directed also) was criminally underrated. That was as good/entertaining/funny a big-budget action flick as has been made in a while.

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
And...? Cruise is as good an actor as any of those guys and maybe better than at least Affleck.

Dback Jon complaining about pretty boy Cruise, yet that fits all 3 of these guys.

Yeah, real pretty

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is Tom Cruise trying to be gritty/unglamorous

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Tom Cruise trying to be a gritty scum-bag drug dealer

You must be registered for see images

Yeah, not really feeling it.

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I agree. Too pretty boy for many of the roles he plays now.

I've read a couple articles where this is brought up as well. Barry was not a pretty boy. He weighed 280 pounds and his Cartel bosses nicknamed him 'El Gordo' or 'the fat man.' Doesn't make one picture Cruise at all. Not without his fat suit from Tropic Thunder. :)

OP
OP
Southpaw

Southpaw

Supporting Member
Reaction score
What bothers me is that what was a series of events that involved Papa Bush, Pablo Escobar, , the cartel , JFK assasination, RFK assasination, Iran Contra, etc, etc is most likely to be treated like a Mission Impossible sequel for Tom Cruises franchise.

Will Tom Cruise as Barry Seal get ambushed and assassinated in the final scene as Barry Seal was or will there be a sequel?

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
it's Cruise and Liman helming. I'm in... even though I have hesitations. it won't be a gritty retelling of what actually happened, but I'm guessing it will still be a lot of fun... that bombs at the box office.

Still think Edge Of Tomorrow (which Liman directed also) was criminally underrated. That was as good/entertaining/funny a big-budget action flick as has been made in a while.
100% this.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
My dad was an airline pilot and early in his career when he was making beans he was approached multiple times to fly "private" planes in and out of central America for exhobidant amounts of money. He declined but a buddy of his from the Air Force signed up. One day the guy is landing at a small strip in California and the feds come out from all angles.

He got busted, goes to the clink, keeps his mouth shut... and got murdered in the joint anyway... probably by the cartel who didn't wanna risk anything.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson