Amber Heard vs. Johnny Depp

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Fine, forget it. You win. You can continue to post books on this. I won't be responding.
Dude you asked "Did you even see what the defamation was? What she said and why he was suing her?"

YOU questioned if I knew what the defamation was about but clearly you didn't. I was just making it clear it wasn't my opinion. The Jury had very specific things to consider and decide on. Things that were probably more extensive and specific than you thought. I gave you the facts. Don't take it out on me just because you don't like the facts. I didn't create the jury instructions or provide the answers. That was all Judge and Jury.

Last edited:

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Dude you asked "Did you even see what the defamation was? What she said and why he was suing her?"

YOU questioned if I knew what the defamation was about but clearly you didn't. I was just making it clear it wasn't my opinion. The Jury had very specific things to consider and decide on. Things that were probably more extensive and specific than you thought. I gave you the facts. Don't take it out on me just because you don't like the facts. I didn't create the jury instructions or provide the answers. That was all Judge and Jury.
And you did.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
And you did.
I basically said yes but didn't provide the detail. That's the only reason I followed up is because I didn't want you to think it was my interpretation. I was referring to the actual instructions and responses.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Is it just me or does it still look like she has a bruise in the ”unaltered“ photo? The color is definitely enhanced in the other photo but the bruise seems to be more enhanced than added. A few months ago I got a wicked bruise that I was trying to show a friend. The camera wasn’t picking it up very well so I adjusted the brightness contrast/etc to better illustrate how it looked. Kinda seems like this is what she did but to even a greater degree. That doesn’t mean there wasn’t a light bruise there to start with though. But like I said in an earlier post, I think they are both most likely sh***y people.
that looks like redness in the cheeks not a bruise.

jf-08

Guy Smiley
Administrator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Did you even see what the defamation was? What she said and why he was suing her?

Anyone know what count(s) he was found liable on? Seems odd to conclude that they defamed each other.
From Twitter: A Virginia jury ruled on Wednesday that actor Amber Heard defamed her ex-husband, actor Johnny Depp, when she wrote a 2018 op-ed in The Washington Post describing herself as “a public figure representing domestic abuse,” The Associated Press reports. The jury also found that Heard had been defamed by one of Depp’s lawyers when he called her abuse allegations a hoax. Depp was awarded $10 million in compensatory damages and $5 million dollars in punitive damages with Heard receiving $2 million in compensatory damages and no money for punitive damages, according to CNN.

From article: Fairfax County Circuit Court Judge Penney Azcarate reduced the punitive damages the jury awarded to Depp to $350,000, which is the state’s statutory cap or legal limit, making his total damages $10.4 million.

Heard had countersued for $100 million and said she was only ever violent with Depp in self-defense or defense of her younger sister. Heard’s countersuit centered around three statements made by Depp’s former attorney Adam Waldman in 2020 to the Daily Mail, in which he described Heard's allegations of abuse as a "hoax."

The jury found that Depp, through Waldman, defamed Heard on one count. The jury awarded Heard $2 million in compensatory damages but $0 in punitive damages.

My comment: Interesting that he sued for $50 Million and she countersued for $ 100 Million. He was awarded $10.4 Million. But he owed her $7 million in the divorce case. Net to him is $3.4 million. For Heard, she had $2 million this case plus $7 million from the divorce case. $2 + $7 - $10.4 = -$1.4 million. So it's not as high of a value as some think on either side.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
From Twitter: A Virginia jury ruled on Wednesday that actor Amber Heard defamed her ex-husband, actor Johnny Depp, when she wrote a 2018 op-ed in The Washington Post describing herself as “a public figure representing domestic abuse,” The Associated Press reports. The jury also found that Heard had been defamed by one of Depp’s lawyers when he called her abuse allegations a hoax. Depp was awarded $10 million in compensatory damages and $5 million dollars in punitive damages with Heard receiving $2 million in compensatory damages and no money for punitive damages, according to CNN.

From article: Fairfax County Circuit Court Judge Penney Azcarate reduced the punitive damages the jury awarded to Depp to $350,000, which is the state’s statutory cap or legal limit, making his total damages $10.4 million.

Heard had countersued for $100 million and said she was only ever violent with Depp in self-defense or defense of her younger sister. Heard’s countersuit centered around three statements made by Depp’s former attorney Adam Waldman in 2020 to the Daily Mail, in which he described Heard's allegations of abuse as a "hoax."

The jury found that Depp, through Waldman, defamed Heard on one count. The jury awarded Heard $2 million in compensatory damages but $0 in punitive damages.

My comment: Interesting that he sued for $50 Million and she countersued for $ 100 Million. He was awarded $10.4 Million. But he owed her $7 million in the divorce case. Net to him is $3.4 million. For Heard, she had $2 million this case plus $7 million from the divorce case. $2 + $7 - $10.4 = -$1.4 million. So it's not as high of a value as some think on either side.
This had more to do with trying to restore his reputation that she permanently damaged more than anything.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
This had more to do with trying to restore his reputation that she permanently damaged more than anything.
Whose reputation is permanently hurt more? That's a no brainer for me, as it always is when rich people go at one another. Regardless of the circumstances, the woman will always be the one that gets hurt the most.

AZ Native

Living is Easy with Eyes Closed
Reaction score
Whose reputation is permanently hurt more? That's a no brainer for me, as it always is when rich people go at one another. Regardless of the circumstances, the woman will always be the one that gets hurt the most.
Didn't Disney drop Depp and Heard was signed for Aquaman 2? I don't follow this Hollywood crap but did I read wrong?

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Didn't Disney drop Depp and Heard was signed for Aquaman 2? I don't follow this Hollywood crap but did I read wrong?
She was already set up for Aquaman 2 and only has 10 minutes of screen time.

Again they both aren’t angels, but Johnny Depp will get an acting gig again. Amber Heard won’t.

OP
OP
Brian in Mesa

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The $7 million she lied about giving to charity? :shrug:

AZ Native

Living is Easy with Eyes Closed
Reaction score

Again they both aren’t angels, but Johnny Depp will get an acting gig again. Amber Heard won’t.
So what I said was accurate and your comment is pure conjecture.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Before the trial I would have said Johnny. It's not like Amber heard was becoming a superstar or anything. Depp on the other hand was dropped from not one but two major franchises. That cost him a ton of money and it sure as heck didn't look like anybody was lining up for him. Heck he may never work for Disney or Warner again.

Regardless she did plenty of damage.

jf-08

Guy Smiley
Administrator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Are you thinking she got a bad ruling?

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not necessarily. I’m more disgusted that Johnny is getting a free pass.
I am not sure that he is. She did permanent damage with her lies. There are people that will NEVER believe him no matter how many trials he wins and despite the fact the police said there never was evidence. He likely will never work for Disney or Warner again. If anything, people know they had a toxic relationship with a ton of drug usage that was revealed. Aside from Amber physically abusing Depp it sounds like there was verbal abuse between the two. I would say there is a pretty big bubble burst about both.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
I am not sure that he is. She did permanent damage with her lies. There are people that will NEVER believe him no matter how many trials he wins and despite the fact the police said there never was evidence. He likely will never work for Disney or Warner again. If anything, people know they had a toxic relationship with a ton of drug usage that was revealed. Aside from Amber physically abusing Depp it sounds like there was verbal abuse between the two. I would say there is a pretty big bubble burst about both.
Doesn't matter if Disney or Warner don't hire him again. Someone will. His career isn't over. Hell, Mel Gibson is back to acting. If he was a woman, I guarantee he wouldn't have returned to acting again.

OP
OP
Brian in Mesa

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Doesn't matter if Disney or Warner don't hire him again. Someone will. His career isn't over. Hell, Mel Gibson is back to acting. If he was a woman, I guarantee he wouldn't have returned to acting again.
Kevin Spacey is back, too.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I didn't say his career was done. I said permanent damage was done. Two of the biggest studios on the planet appear to be done with him. His reputation will never be the same. Some people will never believe him no matter how much evidence backs up his story. That doesn't scream "free pass" to me.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
I didn't say his career was done. I said permanent damage was done. Two of the biggest studios on the planet appear to be done with him. His reputation will never be the same. Some people will never believe him no matter how much evidence backs up his story. That doesn't scream "free pass" to me.
I wouldn't put it past Warner Bros. though. Just because they fired him from the Fantastic Beasts film doesn't mean they won't hire him again. Even Disney has been noncommittal, in that they haven't said "No" to Caption Jack, just that he's not in their plans at the moment.

Sure, there is "permanent" damage, but is that damage really something he'll concern himself with? No.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I wouldn't put it past Warner Bros. though. Just because they fired him from the Fantastic Beasts film doesn't mean they won't hire him again. Even Disney has been noncommittal, in that they haven't said "No" to Caption Jack, just that he's not in their plans at the moment.

Sure, there is "permanent" damage, but is that damage really something he'll concern himself with? No.
Jerry Bruckheimer sure sounded like in his last interview they were moving on from Depp. Also, based on Depp's testimony he basically said the relationship is done with Disney and he will never work for them again. I would say if he isn't ever attached to any major movies again and toils with parts in smaller properties and for the rest of his life has to face those accusations? Yes.