Amare's Chest Banging

My3Suns

Rookie
Reaction score
Do you like or dislike Amare banging his chest after dunks,and why?

OP
OP
M

My3Suns

Rookie
Reaction score
I love to see someone in AWA with a little bit of life.

Amare is entertaining fans. I'm not talking about the fans who go to games just to say "hay I have the money to see all the Suns' games in AWA". I'm talking about the fans that enjoy watching a team they root for, develop a swagger that will put fear in the heart's of their opponents. I honestly don't see it as poor sportsmanship. It's not like he's pushing people in mid air.

I see it more as phsycological warfare.

"If they are violent and easily angered, then use embarrassment to enrage them, so that thier morale is upset--then they will proceed carelessly, without formulating a plan.

Exercise of humaness alone results in weakness". The Art of War by Sun Tzu

Last edited:

Joe Mama

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm not saying I want everybody to be emotionless like a bunch of Ben Stein's. I just on like players standing there beating their chests, especially when their team is down by 30 points. I also don't like it when he should be getting back down the floor to defend.

Joe Mama

OP
OP
M

My3Suns

Rookie
Reaction score
In that one instance I think he was doing it to be a catalyst for a run.

In anyplace other than AWA, once Amare would have done that, the crowd would have responded with a little noise to rally the troops so to say, but not AWA. All they see is well their down thirty were going to lose again. I am truly disappointed at the atmosphere in AWA. I'm in the DC area and can tell the crowd has no life.

With all this young talent the Calangelo's need to truly rethink their marketing stategy.

We all know this team is fun to watch because of the youth and atheleticism.

When will the crowds at AWA realize they can be the difference in winning games.

If these young guys knew their hometown crowd would be behind them in crunch time. They will certainly take their game to levels they didn't even know they had.

Billythekid

All Star
Reaction score
I personally love it. He's an intense guy. Just shows how much he loves being out there. Emotion is good and can get others energized. Can also intimidate opponents. I don't think he overdoes it in the slightess.
It's entertaining and a breath of fresh air for the Suns.

If your complaining about that then you have too much time on your hands. :)

GO SUNS!

PhiLLmattiC

Last of a Dying Breed
Reaction score
How about if he pulled a cell phone out of his jock strap and dialed his mom after every dunk? I really don't see anything wrong with it. Its really entertaining. Shaq is so funny after dunks.

Joe Mama

Supporting Member
Reaction score
You guys are making me feel like some sort of crotchety old man tonight. :)

The other thing I don't like about him pounding his chest like that is that unlike pumping his fists were something like that it seems to me like he is trying to show up the other team. Maybe I'm crazy.

Does anyone feel the same way I do about this, or am I all alone here? Someone help. I feel like I'm losing every little debate here. :)

Joe Mama

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Originally posted by Joe Mama
You guys are making me feel like some sort of crotchety old man tonight. :)

The other thing I don't like about him pounding his chest like that is that unlike pumping his fists were something like that it seems to me like he is trying to show up the other team. Maybe I'm crazy.

Does anyone feel the same way I do about this, or am I all alone here? Someone help. I feel like I'm losing every little debate here. :)

Joe Mama

You're all alone.

;)

Joe Mama

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by Chaplin
You're all alone.

;)

Bastard :)

I saw that you had posted on this, and I thought maybe you would be coming to my rescue.

OK, OK, but how many of you have complained about Kenyon Martin's little celebration where a less to show his nipple (or is it some tattoo)?

Joe Mama

DaFlogger

Registered
Reaction score
Martin is a punk ass!

Amare hasn't reached his level of punkness... And I hope he's smart enough not to.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
What I disliked about Stoudemire's chest-banging was that there should have been no cause for celebration. Sure, he made a dunk, big deal. He dunks all the time. His team was getting killed -- what is there to celebrate?

If he wants to get emotional when the dunk has something to do with the outcome of the game, that's fine. But a meaningless dunk in garbage time? He should be above that.

PhiLLmattiC

Last of a Dying Breed
Reaction score
I love when players react after dunks orbig shots. It gets corney when players react after every shot or when they're losing. So i guess in Amare case he shouldn't do it if they're going to lose. I'd try not to do it anyway because the guy can comeback and dunk on you but then again people like Shaq can get away with that. No one dunks on shaq...

PhiLLmattiC

Last of a Dying Breed
Reaction score
Originally posted by elindholm
What I disliked about Stoudemire's chest-banging was that there should have been no cause for celebration. Sure, he made a dunk, big deal. He dunks all the time. His team was getting killed -- what is there to celebrate?

If he wants to get emotional when the dunk has something to do with the outcome of the game, that's fine. But a meaningless dunk in garbage time? He should be above that.

Yup.

scotsman13

Reaction score
personally, i dont know if i have ever seen better message to the other team then when amare made the shoot agianst portland the other night and held his figuer up to his mouth to tell them to be quiet, that was great. that is one thing that i think that the nba is getting carried away with is calling things like that on players. they bitch about tim duncan and that there is no emotion when he is on the court and rating just keep going down and then they t up anyoen that does show some emotion on the court.

Billythekid

All Star
Reaction score
PEOPLE! RELAX!!! on the chest banging.

He's just come of the injured list. He's entitled to get a lil pumped up. He's back out doing what he loves.

Last edited:
OP
OP
M

My3Suns

Rookie
Reaction score
I do see your point Chaplin there is a time and place for everything maybe the timing of it was wrong, that time.

During the Portland game the Blazers were trying to make a final run, Amare made a big bucket and looked over to their bench,in their arena, and put his index finger to his lips. All he said was "shhh" and the crowd just died. The timing was perfect.

It gave me an adrenaline rush miles away. I could only imagine what his team felt like.

I love Amare's energy out there. I'm just extremely frustrated with the lack of crowd intensity. I am 2300 miles away and can't get to the games to root these guys on.

They are young and need our support. The Suns' future is looking extremely bright with S.T.A.T, The Matrix, JJ, Z, and Leo.

Last edited:
OP
OP
M

My3Suns

Rookie
Reaction score
Originally posted by scotsman13
personally, i dont know if i have ever seen better message to the other team then when amare made the shoot agianst portland the other night and held his figuer up to his mouth to tell them to be quiet, that was great. that is one thing that i think that the nba is getting carried away with is calling things like that on players. they bitch about tim duncan and that there is no emotion when he is on the court and rating just keep going down and then they t up anyoen that does show some emotion on the court.

Sorry Scotsman I was typing when you posted but I agree 100%

OP
OP
M

My3Suns

Rookie
Reaction score
When I saw that my wife thought I was crazy because I was screaming my approval at the tv around 12 at night.

SunsTzu

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I love Amare's energetic play and the fact he won't change his personality no matter the defecit.

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by My3Suns
I do see your point Chaplin there is a time and place for everything maybe the timing of it was wrong, that time.

During the Portland game the Blazers were trying to make a final run, Amare made a big bucket and looked over to their bench,in their arena, and put his index finger to his lips. All he said was "shhh" and the crowd just died. The timing was perfect.

It gave me an adrenaline rush miles away. I could only imagine what his team felt like.

I love Amare's energy out there. I'm just extremely frustrated with the lack of crowd intensity. I am 2300 miles away and can't get to the games to root these guys on.

They are young and need our support. The Suns' future is looking extremely bright with S.T.A.T, The Matrix, JJ, Z, and Leo.

:thumbup: I agree completely

sly fly

Devil Me This
Reaction score
Originally posted by elindholm

It wasn't a celebratory chest-banging. :cool: He was simply out there playing his arse off while the rest of his teammates were standing around and watching.

He was feeling good, just back from injury, and showed a little emotion. What's wrong with that?? :confused:

Doesn't matter if they were down by 30.

Now, if it were to continue after every bucket or block... then we can discuss this later.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Originally posted by Joe Mama
Bastard :)

I saw that you had posted on this, and I thought maybe you would be coming to my rescue.

OK, OK, but how many of you have complained about Kenyon Martin's little celebration where a less to show his nipple (or is it some tattoo)?

Joe Mama

Here's an analogy--and I'm not really sure if it's a good one, but it's an analogy nonetheless.

Suns are down 20, Amare does a monster dunk and pumps his chest.

Or, Suns are UP 20, Amare does a monster dunk and pumps his chest.

Are either of those bad? Are both of them good? Or, does it really matter?

The point is, sportsmanship hasn't been a very important issue in the NBA for 10 years. And that doesn't appear to change (thanks Quentin and Darius). Was that "chest thumping", and even Q's and Miles'... um... whatever the hell they do, bad sportsmanship? I suppose you could equate it to hanging on the rim, but there's a thin line between just being pumped up and taunting.

The way I see it, that particular game ended up being a blowout, so Amare Stoudemire began to think of it as a pickup game, or a practice game, or as some people are fond to call the season now, a preseason game. You could be down a lot, but if you make a good play, you'll celebrate it.

IMO, this just shows it's difficult for Amare to get down--the exact opposite of what we've continuously accused JJ of doing.

And to me, there's nothing wrong with remaining intense--even in 30 point blowouts.

DISCLAIMER: Of course, we support these types of things more when our team does it, but when other players do it? Well... :D

George O'Brien

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I think this is more than taunting. Part of Amare's game is to intimidate opponents. He messes with their heads and maybe it worked on the Nuggets. If he had started playing that way in the first half, he'd have scored 50.

A lot of NBA teams are willing to give up fouls to keep opponents from making a power jam. A team that cannot prevent a lot of power jams loses face in a way that a bunch of jump shots never will. That's on reason why it tends to fire teams up.

The chest pounding reinforces the message. Like it or not, if it gets Amare fired up, I'm all for it.

OP
OP
M

My3Suns

Rookie
Reaction score
Originally posted by George O'Brien

The chest pounding reinforces the message. Like it or not, if it gets Amare fired up, I'm all for it.

Me too.

Like I said earlier Basketball is played on more than one level. If you can beat your opponent mentally and emotionally, the physical aspect will take care of its self.

So I say BANG AWAY AMARE!

capologist

Veteran
Reaction score
Originally posted by My3Suns
I'm in the DC area and can tell the crowd has no life.
Maybe it’s the music. ;)

I’m very amused by what I assume is unintentional irony in the AWA musical selections.

A while ago — I don’t remember whether it was last season or earlier this season — they started playing the “Oh oh oh” remix of “Kernkraft 400” at the start of the 4th quarter of every game:

<embed src="http://www.tzahevet.co.il/songs/Kernkraft%20400%20-%20Zombie%20Nation%20(%20ohohoh%20remix).mp3" height="16" width="400" autoplay="false">

The only lyrics in the piece (which are excluded in the AWA excerpt) are “Zombie Nation,” repeated ad nauseum. Perfect description of the AWA crowd, no?

And now, they’re introducing the starting lineups with instrumentals from “How Soon is Now”:

<embed src="http://oleg.free.fr/mutimedia/love_spit_love.mp3" height="16" width="400" autoplay="false">

The song ends with the words:
When you say it’s going to happen “now,”
When exactly do you mean?
See, I’ve already waited too long,
And all my hope is gone.
Sounds like our hopes for a championship, no?

But I suppose it’s better than trying to get the crowd up for the game with:

<embed src="http://www.melaman2.com/tvshows/mp3/My_Three_Sons.mp3" height="16" width="400" autoplay="false">

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Monti Ossentfort