Amare and Yao stat comparison for ROY. Amare takes lead...

se7en

Go SUNS Go
Reaction score
Yao no longer leads Amare in scoring. That eliminates the one major stat Yao could claim as reason for getting ROY over Amare.

Amare and Yao are now tied at 13.5 points per game

Amare still leads Yao in rebounding at 8.8 to 8.1

Amare crushes Yao and every other rookie in Free throw attempts. That says a lot. Amare attempted 475 free throws. A distant 2nd place was Butler with 375 and then Yao with 363.

Incredibly, Amare is 7th in the NBA in offensive rebounds at 3.1. That is absolutely amazing.

Yao only has leads in Assists and blocks.

But Amare leads in steals.

Since Amare picked up his field goal % the second half of the season Yao now only leads slightly, 50% to Amare’s 47%.

Now that Amare and Yao are tied in scoring and Amare’s team has made the playoffs I don’t think there should be any question about ROY. Amare has clearly taken the lead IMO.

thegrahamcrackr

Reaction score
thats awesome, I thought i would post Insider's ROY vote

Rookie of the Year
Amare Stoudemire
Power Forward
Phoenix Suns

2002-2003 SEASON STATISTICS
GM PPG RPG APG FG% FT%
81 13.5 8.8 0.9 .472 .665

Amare Stoudemire, Suns: I love Yao Ming, and I'm willing to acknowledge that Caron Butler had the best year, statistically, of any rookie. But Stoudemire's impact on the Suns this season, combined with the fact that he was dancing at his high school prom at this time last season, gives him the edge. Without him, the Suns would be battling the Nuggets for the worst record in the West. With him, the Spurs are sweating a first-round matchup with Phoenix in the playoffs. Plus, name another rookie who actually dominated games this season. Yao was consistently solid. Butler put up nice numbers on a bad team. But Stoudemire's play often overshadowed all-stars Stephon Marbury and Shawn Marion. Yao and Butler can't claim that.

Runner-up
Yao Ming, Rockets: People will be tempted to vote for Yao because 1) they thought he'd be a bust; 2) he's unbelievably talented for someone that size; 3) he makes Shawn Bradley look like a freak and 4) he's the most charming player in the league. Period. I'm one of those people.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
If there was ever a year for Co-ROY this is probably it.

I'm not sure exactly the scenario that makes it so, but since it has happened twice before, it must not demand exactly the same # of votes.

When Amare said on draft day, that his goal was rookie of the year, I thought it was great for a young guy to have goals and work so hard. I never dreamed he'd actually do it.

Didn't he also say that his goal is to be the best player in the league at some point?

King A

Registered
Reaction score
amare's such a big stud, he WILL be the most dominating player in the NBA, no concern

SweetD

Next Up
Supporting Member
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
That video puts tears in my eays. It was so SWEET