Melt The Guns
Leisure
It's Nearly Africa
Knuckle Down
Fly On The Wall
Down In The Cockpit
English Roundabout
Snowman

XTC, a quirky band from Swindon England, has released several critically acclaimed albums over the years and one of the most interesting of them is English Settlement. Released in 1982, this record finds the band at a creative high point. When this record was originally released in America it contained only 10 tracks ,but any CD you buy today will contain the complete 15 tracks version that was originally released in Europe (never figured out why the US used to get fewer tracks than the rest of the world but that's a whole different thread). English Settlement was produced & engineered by Hugh Padgam who was having much success at the time with bands like The Police and Genesis.
The album opens with two brilliant tracks "Runaways" and "Ball and Chain" that highlight why I like this group so much. Powerful guitars (without using much distortion) and smooth as butter bass line compliments the vocal melody. XTC lyrics are always witty and interesting. For example in "Snowman", a song about a failed relationship, Andy Partridge aptly notes "people will always be tempted to wipe their feet on anything with 'welcome' written on it".
I could go on and on about how great this record is but you should probably just go check it out for yourself.

Last edited:

vikesfan

ASFN Lifer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Rivercard said:
Artist: XTC
Album: English Settlement
Year Released: 1982
No. of Discs: 1
No. of Tracks: 15

Track List:
Runaways
Ball And Chain
Senses Working Overtime
Jason And The Argonauts
No Thugs In Our House
Yacht Dance
All Of A Sudden (It's too late)
Melt The Guns
Leisure
It's Nearly Africa
Knuckle Down
Fly On The Wall
Down In The Cockpit
English Roundabout
Snowman

XTC, a quirky band from Swindon England, has released several critically acclaimed albums over the years and one of the most interesting of them is English Settlement. Released in 1982, this record finds the band at a creative high point. When this record was originally released in America it contained only 10 tracks ,but any CD you buy today will contain the complete 15 tracks version that was originally released in Europe (never figured out why the US used to get fewer tracks than the rest of the world but that's a whole different thread). English Settlement was produced & engineered by Hugh Padgam who was having much success at the time with bands like The Police and Genesis.
The album opens with two brilliant tracks "Runaways" and "Ball and Chain" that highlight why I like this group so much. Powerful guitars (without using much distortion) and smooth as butter bass line compliments the vocal melody. XTC lyrics are always witty and interesting. For example in "Snowman", a song about a failed relationship, Andy Partridge aptly notes "people will always be tempted to wipe their feet on anything with 'welcome' written on it".
I could go on and on about how great this record is but you should probably just go check it out for yourself.

I thought I was the only person who loved this!

OP
OP
Rivercard

Rivercard

Too much good stuff
Reaction score
vikesfan said:
I thought I was the only person who loved this!

You are not alone my friend. Black Sea is my other favorite XTC record. Did you like that one VF?

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson