After tonight's debacle, does this team make the playoffs?

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We have a better chance of getting the original Beatles back together than we do of making the playoffs.

Steve

blindseyed

I'm saying you ARE stuck in Wichita
Reaction score
Guess someone has to say it, I'm leaning towards "no.". Our odds dropped to 77% tonight. And I'm thinking that the previous teams that finished 4-1 and made the playoffs (a) didn't have o line as porous as ours, and (b) likely didn't have all the anomalies that we seem to have (like being first team since the forties to go 4-0 without a game in which we gained 300+ yards). Going 5-6 or 6-5 may be more difficult than we want to believe considering our schedule gets much more difficult and we have more roadies than home games left.

Not to mention our OL isn't improving and is downright laughable. If we continue to play like the last 2 weeks, then no we don't make the play-offs.

Denny Green Fan

Registered
Reaction score
"Playoffs? You kidding me? Playoffs? I just hope we can win 9 games:D

Eagles
Giants
Packers
Bears
Niners
Home Depoters

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
I don't see it. I thought maybe the defense could keep us in enough games to be in the playoff hunt but the oline and offense are getting worse.

Something that really bothered me was a comment by the TV guys last night: About how its been a long time since the Cardinals scored a TD on their opening drive.

I checked the boxscores and found that the Cards have only scored 2 TDs in the first quarter over the last 19 games! (That sounds oddly familiar)

We're just going to get too far down to come back if this continues.

dogpoo32

meh
Reaction score
Way too early for me. Heart says yes, head says no. Harder to judge after seeing all of our problems paraded about on a national stage. I think the talent is certainly there.

conraddobler

I want my 2$
Reaction score
I don't see it. I thought maybe the defense could keep us in enough games to be in the playoff hunt but the oline and offense are getting worse.

Something that really bothered me was a comment by the TV guys last night: About how its been a long time since the Cardinals scored a TD on their opening drive.

I checked the boxscores and found that the Cards have only scored 2 TDs in the first quarter over the last 19 games! (That sounds oddly familiar)

We're just going to get too far down to come back if this continues.

Defense is that good, good enough, offense is going backwards sure but it's a really complex issue we have here.

Remember that Kolb was benched for Skelton, we were losing that game then in comes Kolb and we win 4 in a row.

Two of those were in OT.

The consistent thing we can say is the defense is good, very good, gives up very few points, any time you can average giving up under 20 points a game as a rule of thumb that's good enough.

Offense?

Going backwards true, still has a lot of talent on it, to me it's just a cluster right now, poor planning combined with gaping holes in talent at key positions is combining to spiral this out of control but we have enough talent IMO that with better plans it'd be workable.

We only have to score 3 TD's a game to win, most of the time that's not that hard to accomplish even with the terrible O line we should be able to manage this.

I wouldn't put too much empahsis on this game, short week, road game, division oppenent, nothing went our way, it's not the end of the world, there are issues but there's a way to the playoffs here if the coaching staff figures it out.

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I still say the percentages are in our favor. We kept our streak of holding teams under 20 points up. As long as we do that, we will be in every game and win about half in a worst case scenario IMO. A 5-6 or 6-5 finish would give us a good shot at a wild card. 7-4 would be a stone cold lock to make it.

ryanshaug

Registered
Reaction score
THE SKY IS FALLING THE SKY IS FALLING

Dear god...give me a break.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
that schedule towards the end of the season is just freaking brutal. If they can 2-1 somehow in their next three games, I think we have a good shot, but the vikes and niners are going to be really tough ones.

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score
The biggest challenge is our division. Which is tough.

Right now between the Cardinals, Ram, and Seattle there is a serious competition to win enough to be a wild card.

The Niners are a really good team. I suspect they win the division. The next question is whether our own division doesn't beat itself out of the playoffs.

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score
that schedule towards the end of the season is just freaking brutal. If they can 2-1 somehow in their next three games, I think we have a good shot, but the vikes and niners are going to be really tough ones.

+1

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Why do people always do crap like this. Okay, we have different opinions but that doesn't mean that those of us that truly believe this season will go south are overreacting. There have been signs in each of our games and the signs are now bigger and in high definition. We have a very good defense, a below average special teams group (all things considered) and a horrible offense. Add those up and then look at our schedule. It is not unreasonable to believe that we have more wins behind us than in front of us.

Steve

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score
Why do people always do crap like this. Okay, we have different opinions but that doesn't mean that those of us that truly believe this season will go south are overreacting. There have been signs in each of our games and the signs are now bigger and in high definition. We have a very good defense, a below average special teams group (all things considered) and a horrible offense. Add those up and then look at our schedule. It is not unreasonable to believe that we have more wins behind us than in front of us.

Steve

+1.

I think it is a fair question to ask this morning.

The only over-reaction I have seen is this "sky is falling" crap. That is WAY too over aggressive over a fair question, IMO. Get a grip.

A break from what ? Poor reading comprehension ? From posting without obviously reading a sentence ?

Where do you justify this post in regards to what has been posted under this thread. If you are going to over dramatize and call people ridiculous, I would like some logical reason why you would post that in this specific thread where no post has even hinted that "the sky is falling."

This is a tough division, and this team has a tough schedule. The division is a bit of a surprise but the schedule has been out for months. The majority of this board knew this is a hard season to make the playoffs, and the Rams execute a beautiful game plan against us.

I could not think of a fairer question, and a fairer time to ask it. Plus I think all the responses to the question have been rational and have very little emotion based on just last night.

I think you do need a break. Take one.

The irony of a post that is trying to make a group of people look ridiculous, and yet when you actually look at the situation for more that 5 seconds the only ridiculous thing about it is the act of trying to make people look ridiculous being the most ridiculous action. Good job.

Last edited:

conraddobler

I want my 2$
Reaction score
Yeah, I still say the percentages are in our favor. We kept our streak of holding teams under 20 points up. As long as we do that, we will be in every game and win about half in a worst case scenario IMO. A 5-6 or 6-5 finish would give us a good shot at a wild card. 7-4 would be a stone cold lock to make it.

9 wins should do it, remember our division will be doling out bumps on the head all over the league too.

It's possible it'd need to be 10-6.

I see six more likely wins at this point in time.

It could always go either way, just saying on balance that's what I see, if we keep regressing on offense, we won't win more than 4 more.

john h

LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
I'm interested in seeing the responses with this question. No doubt we have been exposed and every team the plays us will go for the big play and rush the edges, but 85% of teams that start off 4-0 make the playoffs, are we going to be apart of the 15%?

Your question is one that really can be asked after watching our performance last night. I am not even sure I would give us a 50/50 chance as I think SF and Seattle are better than us. Kolb remains a mystery and my guess is that before the season is over we will see Skelton back in the lineup. We do not want to end the season 8-8 and not know if Kolb is an answer or who is John Skelton as he did not play enough this year to know who he is. Are we a playoff team? What a question. Against the EAgles I would have said that it was a no brainer. After last night I sort of think "no way". There are to many ex ball players out there that do not believe in Kolb. They cannot all be wrong or can they?

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Are we better than Seattle and SF? I really do not think so and I think we finish behind them after all is said and done.

I think the playoff odds are against us, but I do think we are better than Seattle. Their line play is bad, their receivers are awful, their QB is pathetic. I think our defense is better than theirs. Maybe if they put Flynn out there it will change them as a team.

az1965

Love Games!
Reaction score
After 5 games: 4-1

Remaining games: 6-5

vs. Buffalo W
@ Minnesota L
vs. San Francisco W
@ Green Bay L
@ Atlanta L
vs. St. Louis W
@ NY Jets W
@ Seattle L
vs. Detroit W
vs. Chicago W
@ San Francisco L

Final record: 10-6

We make the playoffs!

ryanshaug

Registered
Reaction score
+1.

I think it is a fair question to ask this morning.

The only over-reaction I have seen is this "sky is falling" crap. That is WAY too over aggressive over a fair question, IMO. Get a grip.

A break from what ? Poor reading comprehension ? From posting without obviously reading a sentence ?

Where do you justify this post in regards to what has been posted under this thread. If you are going to over dramatize and call people ridiculous, I would like some logical reason why you would post that in this specific thread where no post has even hinted that "the sky is falling."

This is a tough division, and this team has a tough schedule. The division is a bit of a surprise but the schedule has been out for months. The majority of this board knew this is a hard season to make the playoffs, and the Rams execute a beautiful game plan against us.

I could not think of a fairer question, and a fairer time to ask it. Plus I think all the responses to the question have been rational and have very little emotion based on just last night.

I think you do need a break. Take one.

The irony of a post that is trying to make a group of people look ridiculous, and yet when you actually look at the situation for more that 5 seconds the only ridiculous thing about it is the act of trying to make people look ridiculous being the most ridiculous action. Good job.

Really, my post was over-aggressive but yours was not? What gives you the right to come on and be such an aggressive, accusatory poster?

You accuse me of poor reading comprehension because I chose not to write a mile long post slamming opinions directly, yet you can come on, slam me for having an opinion (which was basically "oh my god settle down"), accuse me of not being able to read (making the assumption I didn't read this thread or any other - amazing), then tell me to take a break?

It's amazing to me that some posters get away with crap like this on this board. I realize I don't post much, but I do read a lot. All I've seen lately is a ton of whining, people constantly calling Mitch out for one reason or another and slamming other posters.

I need to take a break? Maybe you need to take a break. Maybe all the people who come on and proceed to slam the coaching staff, the players, everyone else after ONE LOSS in a great start to the season need to take a break. Then again, maybe I do need to take a break from this board to get away from the posters that think they own the board.

I figured I was entitled to my opinions as much as the next guy. And my opinion is hey, we need to settle down here. Maybe I could have phrased it better, but to jump all over me in such a fashion seems totally unnecessary.

ryanshaug

Registered
Reaction score

Steve

I posted this as my first reaction to reading all the negative vibes this morning. It wasn't directed at just this thread, it was a culmination of reading a bunch of negative threads and this was just the last one I read before exiting stage left.

You are right, it was a legit question. But I do still feel everyone is overreacting quite a bit. We had a horrible game, and a bad Miami game. We have things to fix, obviously. But, we also have beaten some pretty tough opponents as well. In the NFL it's one game at a time. It just seems ludicrous to me to think the season is suddenly over after a single loss.

I'll put my faith in the coaches and players to fix what is wrong rather than just tailspin into a deep Cardinal depression.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Really, my post was over-aggressive but yours was not? What gives you the right to come on and be such an aggressive, accusatory poster?

You accuse me of poor reading comprehension because I chose not to write a mile long post slamming opinions directly, yet you can come on, slam me for having an opinion (which was basically "oh my god settle down"), accuse me of not being able to read (making the assumption I didn't read this thread or any other - amazing), then tell me to take a break?

It's amazing to me that some posters get away with crap like this on this board. I realize I don't post much, but I do read a lot. All I've seen lately is a ton of whining, people constantly calling Mitch out for one reason or another and slamming other posters.

I need to take a break? Maybe you need to take a break. Maybe all the people who come on and proceed to slam the coaching staff, the players, everyone else after ONE LOSS in a great start to the season need to take a break. Then again, maybe I do need to take a break from this board to get away from the posters that think they own the board.

I figured I was entitled to my opinions as much as the next guy. And my opinion is hey, we need to settle down here. Maybe I could have phrased it better, but to jump all over me in such a fashion seems totally unnecessary.

At the time you made your post, this thread had broken down basically as 16 positive, 9 negative and 9 neutral (and several of the negatives were of the "we have a chance to make the playoffs but probably won't" variety). Your post came across, to me anyway, as just one more of the occasional/frequent board attempts to tell others what they should think. Those kind of posts never go over well but they are especially troublesome following a deflating loss.

Steve

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I posted this as my first reaction to reading all the negative vibes this morning. It wasn't directed at just this thread, it was a culmination of reading a bunch of negative threads and this was just the last one I read before exiting stage left.

You are right, it was a legit question. But I do still feel everyone is overreacting quite a bit. We had a horrible game, and a bad Miami game. We have things to fix, obviously. But, we also have beaten some pretty tough opponents as well. In the NFL it's one game at a time. It just seems ludicrous to me to think the season is suddenly over after a single loss.

I'll put my faith in the coaches and players to fix what is wrong rather than just tailspin into a deep Cardinal depression.

I mostly agree with you here but I don't see how they can fix this (in the short term). I think we have a very unique mix of talent this year. We have the kind of defense that can dominate an opponent but our offense is at the other end of the spectrum. I love the direction this organization is heading but I don't believe we are legit playoff contenders.

I felt last year that we were at least 2 years away from being a complete team and after using a pick on Floyd, I think we're still pretty close to two years away. I'm not going to give up on this team simply because we were manhandled in St Louis but I do think we saw the real Cardinals these past two weeks.

Steve

ryanshaug

Registered
Reaction score
At the time you made your post, this thread had broken down basically as 16 positive, 9 negative and 9 neutral (and several of the negatives were of the "we have a chance to make the playoffs but probably won't" variety). Your post came across, to me anyway, as just one more of the occasional/frequent board attempts to tell others what they should think. Those kind of posts never go over well but they are especially troublesome following a deflating loss.

Steve

Understood. Wasn't my intention to try to tell the board how to think. Should have said more than I did with my post, I was just venting. Probably shouldn't have posted it all. Still don't understand the level of attack Rugby leveled though. Uncalled for in my opinion.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Understood. Wasn't my intention to try to tell the board how to think. Should have said more than I did with my post, I was just venting. Probably shouldn't have posted it all. Still don't understand the level of attack Rugby leveled though. Uncalled for in my opinion.

that's what i don't get tho. after a game in which the team probably frustrated the hell out of you, why didn't you vent at THEM instead of venting at your fellow fans who were probably frustrated too?