A movie screening of an unnamed film

Cardinals.Ken

That's Mr. Riff-Raff to you!
Reaction score
I just returned from a test screening for an unnamed sci-fi action film, that is part of a major franchise, set to released this summer, that has yet to be rated. I signed a nondisclosure agreement, so I am bound by a gag order that prevents me from discussing any specifics about it.

It was a rough copy, as it is still in post-production, so there were a few scenes that weren't completely realized yet. However, it does constitute enough of a complete film for me to form an opinion about it.

So, take that for what it's worth.

Of the movie I watched, my generic summary would be this:

You take the good, you take the bad,
You take them both and there you have
The facts of a summer sci-fi/action big budget film.

It's far from being an epic trainwreck, but it also fails to deliver anything truly special. It's not even bad enough to appreciate for being bad.

I wouldn't call it a reboot, as it fits into the series and doesn't undo any from the previous films in the franchise...at least without good reason and explanation. I guess if I were hard pressed to label it, I would call it a reimagining of sorts.

I could see where they were really trying to balance being stereotypical summer fare, and something special. Which was disappointing to me because (regardless of effort) it failed to be special.

I felt that when the filmmakers had a choice between "fresh and unique" and "typical summer action" they paid lip service to the former and went forward with the latter. I had hoped that they would have gone the Iron Man 3 route of being brave enough to slow down, tell a cogent story, and add some legitimate twists.

I guess the best analogy for this would be that they skipped the "fresh and unique" concept like a rock across the water, then it sank into the depths of the "typical summer action".

The major highlight for me was that there were some neat fan-service moments, and one brief shining moment it followed a very clever and well conceived sequence of events.

The major bummer moment for me was when I realized that, at one point, they had gotten their inspiration from an old Monty Python sketch for a not-so well conceived sequence that ran through the hole movie.

It was like the ending of "Departed"...in a bad way.

All in all, I will see this unnamed sci-fi action film, that is part of a major franchise, set to released this summer, that has yet to be rated, in the theater upon it's release...if only to see if they were able to incorporate any of my astute constructive criticism into the finished product...which I highly doubt.

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just returned from a test screening for an unnamed sci-fi action film, that is part of a major franchise, set to released this summer, that has yet to be rated. I signed a nondisclosure agreement, so I am bound by a gag order that prevents me from discussing any specifics about it.

It was a rough copy, as it is still in post-production, so there were a few scenes that weren't completely realized yet. However, it does constitute enough of a complete film for me to form an opinion about it.

So, take that for what it's worth.

Of the movie I watched, my generic summary would be this:

It's far from being an epic trainwreck, but it also fails to deliver anything truly special. It's not even bad enough to appreciate for being bad.

I wouldn't call it a reboot, as it fits into the series and doesn't undo any from the previous films in the franchise...at least without good reason and explanation. I guess if I were hard pressed to label it, I would call it a reimagining of sorts.

I could see where they were really trying to balance being stereotypical summer fare, and something special. Which was disappointing to me because (regardless of effort) it failed to be special.

I felt that when the filmmakers had a choice between "fresh and unique" and "typical summer action" they paid lip service to the former and went forward with the latter. I had hoped that they would have gone the Iron Man 3 route of being brave enough to slow down, tell a cogent story, and add some legitimate twists.

I guess the best analogy for this would be that they skipped the "fresh and unique" concept like a rock across the water, then it sank into the depths of the "typical summer action".

The major highlight for me was that there were some neat fan-service moments, and one brief shining moment it followed a very clever and well conceived sequence of events.

The major bummer moment for me was when I realized that, at one point, they had gotten their inspiration from an old Monty Python sketch for a not-so well conceived sequence that ran through the hole movie.

It was like the ending of "Departed"...in a bad way.

All in all, I will see this unnamed sci-fi action film, that is part of a major franchise, set to released this summer, that has yet to be rated, in the theater upon it's release...if only to see if they were able to incorporate any of my astute constructive criticism into the finished product...which I highly doubt.

I'd comment on this post, but I also signed a non-disclosure agreement for a film I will not name.

:D

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Based on this, there is only 2 films this could describe, assuming it's serious:

Jurassic World
or
Terminator: Genisys

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
My guess is Terminator.

How does one get selected to be in the test screening of a movie? Is it completely random?

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Based on this, there is only 2 films this could describe, assuming it's serious:

Jurassic World
or

Oh it is serious. My wife and I were in the same theater as Ken and his son. :thumbup:

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My guess is Terminator.

How does one get selected to be in the test screening of a movie? Is it completely random?

I guess at some point we got added to a list from previous sneak previews or something.

I've seen hundreds of movies 2 or 3 weeks before they are released to the public but always known which movie was being screened. These are much different. These are conducted by marketing agencies working on behalf of the studio to gauge public reaction, how likely you are to tell your friends to see it, which parts were liked, which parts were disliked, etc.

The first test screening we ever saw was Olympus Has Fallen - nearly 3 months prior to its release date.

http://www.arizonasportsfans.com/vb/showpost.php?p=2815182&postcount=4

Just because you get on a list it does not mean that you'll be invited to every test screening that is out there. They put a lot of emphasis on demographics when building their audiences.

They also went through the lines asking questions and eliminated some people from the event.

OP
OP
Cardinals.Ken

Cardinals.Ken

Reaction score

Jurassic World
or

I'm 100% on the up-and-up with this...it's as serious as certain actor, with the profile of an Easter Island statue, is bland and boring on screen. ;)

My guess is Terminator.

I believe it's random to a point, but I must have fit a marketing metric somewhere along the line.

It started with an email from MovieTickets.com, out of the blue, with the invite...which was followed by a Google search of the term "movietickets.com test screening invite legit or scam?" :)

It was legit!

And, it was a slightly different experience from the pre-screenings I had been to in the past when I operated a movie theater (and drive-in) 20+ years ago up in Oregon. Back then there were no cell phones, and if you wanted to record a movie in a theater you'd have to pack in a VTR on your shoulder.

The TSA-styled security checkpoint to enter the theater was made a little more unconfortable by the security nimrods constantly giving me the hairy eyeball! Maybe they're familiar with my posts about films here on ASFN.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Cardinals.Ken

Cardinals.Ken

Reaction score
I guess at some point we got added to a list from previous sneak previews or something.

I've seen hundreds of movies 2 or 3 weeks before they are released to the public but always known which movie was being screened. These are much different. These are conducted by marketing agencies working on behalf of the studio to gauge public reaction, how likely you are to tell your friends to see it, which parts were liked, which parts were disliked, etc.

The first test screening we ever saw was Olympus Has Fallen - nearly 3 months prior to its release date.

http://www.arizonasportsfans.com/vb/showpost.php?p=2815182&postcount=4

Just because you get on a list it does not mean that you'll be invited to every test screening that is out there. They put a lot of emphasis on demographics when building their audiences.

They also went through the lines asking questions and eliminated some people from the event.

What was funny about answering all the "knock-out" questions appropriately while in line, I could tell that I was outside of the real target audience as I observed clipboard armed surveyors in the auditorium questioning 18-24 year olds in the audience before the feature started.

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What was funny about answering all the "knock-out" questions appropriately while in line, I could tell that I was outside of the real target audience as I observed clipboard armed surveyors in the auditorium questioning 18-24 year olds in the audience before the feature started.

:yeahthat: :D

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Blair and Tootie go to Mars?

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My guess is Terminator.

That was my guess as well.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
my guess is Mad Max or Terminator. Probably Terminator because Mad Max comes out next month, while Terminator still has more time to tweek coming out at the beginning of July.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am also guessing Terminator. I actually just missed an opportunity for a screening because I had something else planned. I have been to several and love going to them. It's sometimes annoying to see unfinished FX but I get it.

I almost walked out of a screening one time. It was for Cable Guy with Jim Carrey. Seriously, brought my younger brother with me that time and it's the only time I have seriously gotten up and almost walked out of a theater. He convinced me to stay which I guess is a good thing since I wouldn't have been able to fill out my card.

Sadly none of my feedback was incorporated either. LOL.

Last edited:

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am also guessing Terminator. I actually just missed an opportunity for a screening because I had something else planned. I have been to several and love going to them. It's sometimes annoying to see unfinished FX but I get it.

I almost walked out of a screening one time. It was for Cable Guy with Jim Carrey. Seriously, brought my younger brother with me that time and it's the only time I have seriously gotten up and almost walked out of a theater. He convinced me to stay which I guess is a good thing since I wouldn't have been able to fill out my card.

Sadly none of my feedback was incorporated either. LOL.

was it much different than the finished product? I enjoyed that movie.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
was it much different than the finished product? I enjoyed that movie.

The movie was longer in the screening. It just went on and on and on. I don't recall now specifically what they cut but when I viewed it at the theater it appeared they cut some stuff out. It wasn't enough IMO. Had not my second ticket also been free (my buddy paid) I would have never watched it again. Actually, I may have walked out the second time with him but I don't recall now if that was the movie we walked out on. I think I have only ever done that once.

Last edited:

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The movie was longer in the screening. It just went on and on and on. I don't recall now specifically what they cut but when I viewed it at the theater it appeared they cut some stuff out. It wasn't enough IMO. Had not my second ticket also been free (my buddy paid) I would have never watched it again. Actually, I may have walked out the second time with him but I don't recall now if that was the movie we walked out on. I think I have only ever done that once.

the only movie theater viewing I have ever left willingly was varsity blues.