A Million Ways To Die In The West

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
man...talk about your vanity projects! This has Baseketball written ALL OVER IT.

Much like Trey and Matt, Seth McFarlane is a comic genius writing wise, but that doesn't mean he has comic acting chops...or acting chops period.

my bet is it's one of the biggest bombs of the year. It's got a huge cast, is period and a Western, which means that budget's going to be around 100 mil. No way it makes anywhere near that, IMO.

OP
OP
Brian in Mesa

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
A Million Ways to Die in the West

Release Date: May 29, 2014 (p.m. screenings)
Studio: Universal Pictures
Director: Seth MacFarlane
Screenwriter: Seth MacFarlane, Alex Sulkin, Wellesley Wild
Genre: Comedy, Western
MPAA Rating: R (for strong crude and sexual content, language throughout, some violence and drug material)

Starring: Seth MacFarlane, Charlize Theron, Liam Neeson, Amanda Seyfried, Giovanni Ribisi, Sarah Silverman, Neil Patrick Harris

Plot Summary: Seth MacFarlane directs, produces, co-writes and plays the role of the cowardly sheep farmer Albert in "A Million Ways to Die in the West."

After Albert backs out of a gunfight, his fickle girlfriend leaves him for another man. When a mysterious and beautiful woman rides into town, she helps him find his courage and they begin to fall in love. But when her husband, a notorious outlaw, arrives seeking revenge, the farmer must put his newfound courage to the test.

You must be registered for see images attach

Bert

Walkin' on Sunshine
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
man...talk about your vanity projects! This has Baseketball written ALL OVER IT.

Much like Trey and Matt, Seth McFarlane is a comic genius writing wise, but that doesn't mean he has comic acting chops...or acting chops period.

my bet is it's one of the biggest bombs of the year. It's got a huge cast, is period and a Western, which means that budget's going to be around 100 mil. No way it makes anywhere near that, IMO.

Well played sir, you were pretty much spot onabout everything except the budget. (I read that it cost less than Ted and came in around 40million, dont shoot the messenger that's just what I read) http://time.com/2807521/a-million-ways-to-die-in-the-west-box-office/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+time%2Ftopstories+%28TIME%3A+Top+Stories%29

But it definitely flopped.

More importantly, you were totally right. Basically into the first 5 minutes all I could think was man Cheese totally nailed this right on the head.

It was funny dont get me wrong, there were some disgusting gags that had the whole audience going which was fun, and a bunch of funny lines but overall it just didn't work. Seth was super awkward and it really just had the feeling of a bunch of Seth Mcfarlane gags jammed into a western setting but felt way out of place. I kindof felt like he made the movie just to make out with Charlize a bunch of times, cant say I blame him... lol

Definitely a vanity project.

However, the fact that they spent so little making it pretty much takes away most of the humiliation of it flopping I think or would you disagree?

Anyway, good call Cheesetrodaumus!

However, the Django cameo was awesome. :)

Last edited:

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well played sir, you were pretty much spot onabout everything except the budget. (I read that it cost less than Ted and came in around 40million, dont shoot the messenger that's just what I read) http://time.com/2807521/a-million-ways-to-die-in-the-west-box-office/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+time%2Ftopstories+%28TIME%3A+Top+Stories%29

More importantly, you were totally right. Basically into the first 5 minutes all I could think was man Cheese totally nailed this right on the head.

It was funny dont get me wrong, there were some disgusting gags that had the whole audience going which was fun, and a bunch of funny lines but overall it just didn't work. Seth was super awkward and it really just had the feeling of a bunch of Seth Mcfarlane gags jammed into a western setting but felt way out of place. I kindof felt like he made the movie just to make out with Charlize a bunch of times, cant say I blame him... lol

However, the fact that they spent so little making it pretty much takes away most of the humiliation of it flopping I think or would you disagree?

probably...but I think it will allow studios to keep MacFarlane from making himself the star again.

AZ Native

Living is Easy with Eyes Closed
Reaction score
It was silly, goofy and funny. If I had read the script first, I would not have gone. But, I didn't, and I am glad I didn't. I just enjoyed it for what it is. I can afford a few bucks to laugh at a silly movie, and I did. Life is short, enjoy it. Next...

maddogkf

You think KFCs still open
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sun Devil Stadium, Sect 27, Row 34, Seat 8
me and the girlfriend saw it on Saturday. It was funny and had some hilarious parts but she said she gets to pick the next movie. She laughed but I'd wait for Netflix or on demand. If you need a laugh, go see it. If you want an in depth plot line then this is not for you.

Definitely not for kids.

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score
me and the girlfriend saw it on Saturday. It was funny and had some hilarious parts but she said she gets to pick the next movie. She laughed but I'd wait for Netflix or on demand. If you need a laugh, go see it. If you want an in depth plot line then this is not for you.

Definitely not for kids.

??????????????????????????????????

WHA....Whe....who......when did you come back!!!

Good to see you M-Dog! Hope all is very well with you and yours!

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I thought the movie looked pretty bad and TED was way way way overrated. Glad I passed. Will wait for Netflix.

crisper57

Open the Roof!
Reaction score
If I had never seen a preview, I would have loved it. But all the best gags were given away in tv spots.

Shaggy

Site Owner Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
It was ok. Not horrible but not a blockbuster.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Terrible movie. Tried REALLY hard to be Blazing Saddles and failed miserably. Waste of a cast and the humor was more disgusting than actually funny.

UncleChris

Shocking, I tell you!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm sorry..... I thought is was damned funny. No Oscar winner for sure, and due to some blue and bathroom humor, not for everyone.... but my wife and I laughed out loud numerous times.

And Seth was spot on about how rotten it was to live in the west in the 1880's.

Iceman

Administrator
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm sorry..... I thought is was damned funny. No Oscar winner for sure, and due to some blue and bathroom humor, not for everyone.... but my wife and I laughed out loud numerous times.

And Seth was spot on about how rotten it was to live in the west in the 1880's.

I loved this movie as well. I expected it to be horrible, but complete it was the complete opposite! This is my type of comedy and its always funny seeing the voice of "Ted" coming out of Seth in a movie

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Seriously, this movie had a couple parts that were funny but this was a bad movie.

Southpaw

Provocateur aka Wallyburger
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Brutally bad. If he was aiming for Blazing Saddles ( which I hated ) he swung and missed.

Bada0Bing

Don't Stop Believin'
Reaction score
Just recently watched it. Ridiculous, but plenty funny if you like ridiculous comedies.

From IMDB trivia:
Neil Patrick Harris gets to say his famous catchphrase from How I Met Your Mother (2005) when he is challenged to a duel by Albert: "Challenge accepted!" However, neither of the writers knew this when they were writing the movie, and later during test screenings they didn't know why audiences were laughing.

Ha!

Well played sir, you were pretty much spot onabout everything except the budget. (I read that it cost less than Ted and came in around 40million, dont shoot the messenger that's just what I read) http://time.com/2807521/a-million-w...ign=Feed:+time/topstories+(TIME:+Top+Stories)

Anyway, good call Cheesetrodaumus!

However, the Django cameo was awesome. :)

Still made over $80M on a $40M budget.