94th Annual Oscars

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Disagree with your blame shifting. How about, "If you hadn't gone down to the corner store to buy some bread that drunk never would have hit your car," or "If that guy hadn't cut me off in traffic, I wouldn't have shot him."

Back to the obvious...... Rock, like Rickles and a dozen others, and are edgy comedians.... that's what they do. Did his joke go over the line? Absolutely debatable. Did Smith immediately react? Nope. He laughed looked over at his wife, thought about it while walking up and then committed assault and battery on an international stage with hundreds of millions of witnesses. No one made him respond in that way. He wasn't defending his wife.... she was in no danger. It was entirely his choice, and a very bad one at that. Rock bears absolutely no responsibility in Smith's actions. Again, if it had been "THE" Rock instead of Chris Rock, it simply would not have happened. Smith is simply a Richard.
Also, for the record? Chris Rock should sue. You don't want the precedent out there that someone can come up and do that crap ever again. You sue them for enough money? People think twice about it ever happening again. Also, the Oscars need to have security off stage going forward. They just like for the fans shouldn't let celebrities up on the stage.

Last edited:

UncleChris

Shocking, I tell you!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My I'm
I have no clue what you are talking about. I am blame shifting NOTHING. I applied blame to both parties. That is not blame shifting. Blame shifting is when I transfer blame to someone whose actions played no part in what happened. That is not the case. Comparing to an innocent victim in a drunk driven incident is beyond dramatic and not remotely the same thing.

I am not defending Will at all. Stop acting like I am. I do however disagree with you excusing Chris. Comedians make jokes all the time. It's cool to make fun of a bombed movie. It's cool to make fun of something bone headed they did. It's not cool in any way shape or form to make fun of a medical condition. To say Rock bears no responsibility is you doing the "blame shifting" not me. Does that mean Will had a right to slap Chris? 100% no. Words shouldn't have led to violence. You don't have to excuse one party just because the other party did something worse.

I do. These celebrities follow each other on Social Media. Not to mention, comedians like Chris follow the people they love to target. Chris could have immediately quashed all of this and said he didn't know but even if he does I doubt that is true. Oh and yes....I did hear about her condition some time back on Twitter. Look, I don't think Chris was "out to get her" or really trying to be overtly vicious. Now if he didn't know? Well...that makes it sort of better but still doesn't absolve him 100% of what happened. Ignorance is nine tenths of the law. Just because you don't know something doesn't absolve you of all responsibility. It just means I can sympathize with him a bit more where I can't with Will.....at all.
First of all, "blame shifting" is not a two-way switch. It's a slider, kind of like the left-right balance on your audio equipment. Your statement earlier of "Having said all that? I still whole heartedly believe "don't start nothing, won't be nothing" applied here" seems to clearly indicate that some of this debacle was Rock's fault. It simply is not. As I mentioned before, this is all on Smith.... hard left, all the way to the end of the slider switch on Will Smith. Period.

Now, as a separate conversation, if you wish to discuss Rock's joke, it truly is a different thing. Put simply, I found it a little eyerolling and clumsy, but not horrible. Just curious.... Did you ever watch any of those old Friar's Roasts from some 50 years ago on TV??? There were some vicious cuts in those and I never saw anyone take a swing at anyone. Same with the White House Correspondence Dinners.... those got pretty wild on occasion an no one ever gol slapped. And I didn't see it as a slap at her disease..... She had been out on the red carpet earlier talking freely about it and that Will actually liked it that way. The GI Jane joke was simply an obvious joke. Hell, I've spent over 30 years of my life being ribbed about being bald and I simply have fun with it. Both Will and Jada would have done well and simply smiled a bit a waved a finger (not the middle on) at Rock. But. of course, that's simply my opinion. :cheers:

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
My I'm

First of all, "blame shifting" is not a two-way switch. It's a slider, kind of like the left-right balance on your audio equipment. Your statement earlier of "Having said all that? I still whole heartedly believe "don't start nothing, won't be nothing" applied here" seems to clearly indicate that some of this debacle was Rock's fault. It simply is not. As I mentioned before, this is all on Smith.... hard left, all the way to the end of the slider switch on Will Smith. Period.

Now, as a separate conversation, if you wish to discuss Rock's joke, it truly is a different thing. Put simply, I found it a little eyerolling and clumsy, but not horrible. Just curious.... Did you ever watch any of those old Friar's Roasts from some 50 years ago on TV??? There were some vicious cuts in those and I never saw anyone take a swing at anyone. Same with the White House Correspondence Dinners.... those got pretty wild on occasion an no one ever gol slapped. And I didn't see it as a slap at her disease..... She had been out on the red carpet earlier talking freely about it and that Will actually liked it that way. The GI Jane joke was simply an obvious joke. Hell, I've spent over 30 years of my life being ribbed about being bald and I simply have fun with it. Both Will and Jada would have done well and simply smiled a bit a waved a finger (not the middle on) at Rock. But. of course, that's simply my opinion. :cheers:
Where did it slide? Where exactly? Where exactly did I ever shift from saying both parties share some responsibility.

Let me save you the time. Nowhere.

Again, at no point was there shifted blame. You seem to want to deal in absolutes. Sorry, not playing that game. Again, just because one person did something worse doesn’t absolve the other. Rock does share some blame ignorance or not.

Also, roasts are a completely different animal and you go there expecting to hear the worst of the worst. Not at the Oscar’s. Again another bad comparison. It’s more like if I walk up to a women and say “when are you due” and she is not pregnant. I would be responsible for making her feel bad even though I was ignorant and didn’t know her situation.

Just my two cents.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
Jada seems like a total narcissist (moreso than your average actor). Didn’t she bring him on national tv to emasculate him? Anyways maybe she should’ve slapped Will for laughing at the joke.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Jada seems like a total narcissist (moreso than your average actor). Didn’t she bring him on national tv to emasculate him? Anyways maybe she should’ve slapped Will for laughing at the joke.
That’s some A+ #1 victim blaming you’ve got going there.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have not really read into it but there is growing sentiment Jada instigated it. They even showed her laughing at what Will did after the slap. Have no clue if any of it is true.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
I have not really read into it but there is growing sentiment Jada instigated it. They even showed her laughing at what Will did after the slap. Have no clue if any of it is true.
When Rock first made the joke, they cut to them and Will was laughing but Jada was not. I'm not convinced she told Will to do what he did, but I am convinced she told Will she wasn't happy.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

dscher

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
But it was all staged! This is what Will wanted!!!
Why are you so hung up about it? lol. They are actors. All of em. It's Hollywood. Weirder things have happened in that neck of the woods IMO. Nonetheless, yes, it could have been 110 percent real.

dscher

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Now back to the fun..... Haha.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Why are you so hung up about it? lol. They are actors. All of em. It's Hollywood. Weirder things have happened in that neck of the woods IMO. Nonetheless, yes, it could have been 110 percent real.
No it hasn’t. Then faking this while it hurts Will in ever conceivable way would officially become the weirdest ever. There is simply no denying this is real.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’m hung up on because I’m at wits end with a big chunk of Americans creating idiotic conspiracy theories and then never admitting they were wrong when their theory was proven 1000% false.

The inability for people to admit they’re wrong is a massive problem in our country. We’ve watched hundreds of thousands of people who literally RATHER DIE of Covid than admit they were wrong about vaccines or masks.

And it’s the kind of conspiracy theory crap that led our nation’s capital being attacked for the first time since the 1860’s and is a massive problem in our society.

So, can you do the simple thing and admit you were wrong here or will you continue to contribute to the idiofication of America?

By the way… that’s a rhetorical question. I know your answer.

Last edited:

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’m hung up on because I’m at wits end with a big chunk of Americans creating idiotic conspiracy theories and then never admitting they were wrong when their theory was proven 1000% false.

The inability for people to admit they’re wrong is a massive problem in our country. We’ve watched hundreds of thousands of people who literally RATHER DIE of Covid than admit they were wrong about vaccines or masks.

And it’s the kind of conspiracy theory crap that led our nation’s capital being attacked for the first time since the 1860’s and is a massive problem in our society.

So, can you do the simple thing and admit you were wrong here or will you continue to contribute to the idiofication of America?

I wonder if Will resigning is the equivalent of a college who has violations self imposing a penalty so the NCAA comes down easier.

Maybe he thinks it will prevent a lifetime ban.

dscher

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

This whole thing is simply your opinion. I know how hard you are striving for the "truth" and "facts" on this....but ultimately, you don't know anything more than I do on what was what. But, I still respect your opinion on the matter... I won't assume you're wrong. :)

UncleChris

Shocking, I tell you!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What are the possible ramifications of Smith quitting/expelled from AMPAS?

Raindog

I didn't come here to be liked!
Reaction score
I gather he still gets to keep his Oscar... but won't be at any ceremonies in forthcoming years. It certainly won't keep him from working in the industry... probably just inhibits his ability to be nominated for any industry sanctioned awards.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
He won‘t be able to attend any Academy ceremonies and can’t be nominated for any awards.

The utter ridiculousness of people thinking this is a publicity stunt when this is a huge ding on his reputation, is no longer eligible for the most prestigious awards and his production company is now losing business is beyond preposterous.

People just don’t like to be wrong and would rather stick to their guns than use any reasoned logic.

carrrnuttt

Didactic
Reaction score

I mean the troll already got to this and confirmed what I figured would be his usual idiotic reaction, but my first thought after this post was this:

You must be registered for see images attach

dscher

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I mean the troll already got to this and confirmed what I figured would be his usual idiotic reaction, but my first thought after this post was this:

You must be registered for see images attach
For someone who makes it a point to not waste his time on people like me...at times you sure like to waste your time on people like me. I'm flattered once again. Thanks. :)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson