94th Annual Oscars

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Huh, interesting. Just because Rock doesn't want to press charges doesn't mean he is not a victim though. You'd think there is a benefit to society to hold an assaulter accountable, to try to deter further violence to the community.
I see your line of thinking but that’s just not how it works. Even with clear evidence(domestic withstanding) if a victim doesn’t want to press charges then no charges will be filed. The only other possible exception would be a crime that is of a felony in nature and the police deem that the subject could further be danger to society if action isn’t taken.

OP
OP
Brian in Mesa

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It all seems fishy. At first Will thought the joke was funny and was smiling pretty much thru the whole "ordeal"? When Will came on stage Rock bent down to except the oncoming "slap" and seemed prepared for it. If you watch Will's wind up, it came from his side. Not the most powerful position to deliver a blow. I can see how people could think it was legit especially towards the end but to me too many variables scream setup.
I think Chris thought Will was coming to tell him something so he turned his head expecting him to say something in his ear.

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Huh, interesting. Just because Rock doesn't want to press charges doesn't mean he is not a victim though. You'd think there is a benefit to society to hold an assaulter accountable, to try to deter further violence to the community.
Also in almost all states that I’m aware of misdemeanor must happen in your presence to take any action. If the cop didn’t see it then it’s a citizens arrest. Video means nothing. Only two exceptions are again domestic and DUI.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Also, Dennis Villenueve was robbed. He should have won Best Director for Dune and wasn’t even nominated as it took home 6 other Oscars in technical categories. The director is the ultimate conductor of all of those and he created a movie with scope and grandeur unseen since the Lord Of The Rings series… and better, IMO.
Agree with everything here except your last three words.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
So much for the Oscars don’t get any attention. Stunt or not, people are talking about it much more today than they would have if the slap hadn’t happened.

I thought people didn’t care?

dscher

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Ahh. The internet.

SunsTzu

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
So much for the Oscars don’t get any attention. Stunt or not, people are talking about it much more today than they would have if the slap hadn’t happened.

I thought people didn’t care?

I couldn't care less about this or any other awards show, but having an A list celeb slap someone would be talked about whether it happened at Starbucks or at the Oscars.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
I couldn't care less about this or any other awards show, but having an A list celeb slap someone would be talked about whether it happened at Starbucks or at the Oscars.
Oh ok. If it’s an awards show than nobody cares but as long as it’s two famous people doing something else, it’s worth talking about.

Funny how the things worth talking about are the horrible things. Indicative of the culture.

OP
OP
Brian in Mesa

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Academy launches formal review after Will Smith slaps Chris Rock on the Oscars stage
Chris Rock declined to file a police report Sunday after Will Smith slapped him onstage at the Academy Awards, Los Angeles police appeared to confirm.

But now the Academy says it will investigate on its own, releasing a statement Monday afternoon: "The Academy condemns the actions of Mr. Smith at last night's show. We have officially started a formal review around the incident and will explore further action and consequences in accordance with our Bylaws, Standards of Conduct and California law."

This goes one step further than what the Academy said just after Sunday night's show, which was basically that it didn't condone violence.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Academy launches formal review after Will Smith slaps Chris Rock on the Oscars stage
Chris Rock declined to file a police report Sunday after Will Smith slapped him onstage at the Academy Awards, Los Angeles police appeared to confirm.

But now the Academy says it will investigate on its own, releasing a statement Monday afternoon: "The Academy condemns the actions of Mr. Smith at last night's show. We have officially started a formal review around the incident and will explore further action and consequences in accordance with our Bylaws, Standards of Conduct and California law."

This goes one step further than what the Academy said just after Sunday night's show, which was basically that it didn't condone violence.

I guess we’ll find out how much power the Academy has nowadays.

Will Will Smith get blacklisted for this? Absolutely not. He’s a cash cow for the studios and he just win the Oscar. Maybe they’ll ban him from next years ceremony but that’s all that will happen. Especially since Chris Rock isn’t pressing charges. No big loss for Will Smith.

Rivercard

Too much good stuff
Reaction score

The time to act was last night! I suppose the Academy now realizes that the optics of having someone assault a presenter on live tv, then sit comfortably back in his chair, only to receive a standing ovation shortly thereafter was awful.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
And? It doesn't benefit the show, Will Smith or Chris Rock at all. At the end of the day, you do stunts like these to draw people in. You can't draw someone in when it takes place during a commercial break. That is the dumbest thing ever. If you were really planning something it would have taken place DURING the telecast. Not when nobody was watching.

Ratings are king. Nobody tuned in because something happened during a commercial break. Also, nobody is sitting there thinking....you know....I am going to tune in next year because Will slapped Chris. LOL. Will Smith is the biggest loser in all this. Nobody is also thinking...you know.....I am going to hire Will now because of that slap. Thinking that Will Smith wants to draw attention from his achievement is also silly.

In fact, this is a bigger blemish on Hollywood overall and just gives more of the anti-Hollywood types more fodder. You think Hollywood wants more publicity calling them fakes?

There is no logic to this thought at all.

P.S. This is coming from someone who believes the vast majority of "reality tv" is scripted.
You don’t have to “believe” that, it is. At least loosely so. Cheese and I have a friends whose been a producer on a bunch of reality shows and she confirmed it for us.

dscher

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
You don’t have to “believe” that, it is. At least loosely so. Cheese and I have a friends whose been a producer on a bunch of reality shows and she confirmed it for us.
I had no idea this wasn't already mainstream knowledge. Lol

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Oh I know. I know someone who appeared on HGTV and my wife and I talked to a couple that appeared on Extreme Makeover Home Edition. Just making a general statement and applying it to all reality shows.

SunsTzu

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Oh ok. If it’s an awards show than nobody cares but as long as it’s two famous people doing something else, it’s worth talking about.

I'm not even sure what you are arguing at this point. I was responding to your claim that "I thought people didn’t care?", which came off as a snarky disingenuous question about people not caring about the awards when deep down they do. In actuality the people that don't care about awards shows still don't and the only thing driving attention is the spectacle caused by Smith.

Funny how the things worth talking about are the horrible things. Indicative of the culture.

You must have hated history class.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
I'm not even sure what you are arguing at this point. I was responding to your claim that "I thought people didn’t care?", which came off as a snarky disingenuous question about people not caring about the awards when deep down they do. In actuality the people that don't care about awards shows still don't and the only thing driving attention is the spectacle caused by Smith.

You must have hated history class.
How so? History has both good and bad. But you do have a point.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Question is, does the Academy want to make the ceremony a roast it’s something more respectable? They better figure it out.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Variety is reporting that the joke Chris said out there about Jada wasn't in the original script. Evidently, Rock went out of his way to adlib a joke about Jada.