3 Concerns the Cards Have About the Upcoming Season

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I believe this offense will be a run heavy focused offense. I don't think they drafted Benson to be a third down, specialty back. I honestly think he is going to see a good amount of carries along with Connor and Carter being that change of pace back. I think the Offensive staff would be thrilled to see 200+ yds. a game rushing.
Well since that is basically the Browns offense, and that is where our coordinator is from - yeah I think that is accurate.

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I think a lot of the optimism going into the season is based on how Kyler played to end the season. The team is improved in a lot of areas but to me it still hinges on QB play, I’m not overly convinced just yet on that.

The cornerbacks and linebackers are the big question marks on defense.

D line and O line are the least of my concerns.
How is D Line the least of your concerns?

That’s probably still the weakest unit on the entire team.

Totally_Red

Air Raid Warning!
Reaction score
If nothing else the young coaching staff has a year under their belts and they have added a lot of 'their guys'. With the way 2023 ended, I am anxious to see how much improvement is made.

I really want to see how we measure up to SF and LA and whether the defense can at least be a speed bump for their offenses.

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
I cant argue with that -- certainly in terms of points scored

I think the run first nature of the offense means they score less per game than the 21 team because they use more clock time in scoring

but -- if Kyler post injury, full off season in the offense and is "locked in" as the pub out of Warner / Hardy says he is -- then the potential is there for a really good, efficient offense
during that early win streak in 21 we dominated ToP... but a lot of that was due to defensive turnovers. IMO, if the WR room even somewhat meets expectations we have the offensive firepower to top 35 points a game...all the WR really have to do is produce well enough to Loosen pressure on McBride and keep the box light..early on we will see stacked fronts because everyone knows we run so Wilson and Junior should produce well

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
I think the WR room looks a lot better. It would have been nice to add another young WR, but Zay Jones can't get a good share of targets this year.

I'm oddly not too concerned about Kyler. He played pretty well last season without having quality NFl receivers.

The defense will still struggle to rush the passer.
Kyler is going to have to earn his contract which requires a large jump.

WR largely unproven.

Defense is a mess but maybe we get growth from young players.

Actually think run defense could be the best part of the defense. DT adds are good vs run and Darius outside will be a big improvement

Last edited:

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
The edge group is awful. It may be worse than the 2023 DB class.
Probably the worst unit because CB at least has young guys to bring hope. Easy to see a world where both Williams and Melton are average CBs.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Probably the worst unit because CB at least has young guys to bring hope. Easy to see a world where both Williams and Melton are average CBs.
Eventually yes but soon enough to be relevant in 2024 is another deal.

This edge group could be as bad as the CB group of Marco Wilson, Kei’Trel Clark, and K’Von Wallace — the three DBs we played alongside Thompson and Baker against Washington last year.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
I think a lot of the optimism going into the season is based on how Kyler played to end the season. The team is improved in a lot of areas but to me it still hinges on QB play, I’m not overly convinced just yet on that.

The cornerbacks and linebackers are the big question marks on defense.

D line and O line are the least of my concerns.
D-Line must still be a huge area of concern for me.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Other than Gardeck at 29 there isn't a player in the Edge room that's a threat to making the roster over the age of 24.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Eventually yes but soon enough to be relevant in 2024 is another deal.

This edge group could be as bad as the CB group of Marco Wilson, Kei’Trel Clark, and K’Von Wallace — the three DBs we played alongside Thompson and Baker against Washington last year.
EDGE is really bad unless Collins and Ojulari make big jumps. Maybe Robinson plays EDGE in some capacity which helps the group. Who knows on that. Agree that it is a bad group.

I look at last year's CB group with Marco, Williams, Clark, Hamilton, and Starling with a similarly bad EDGE group, and think significant improvement at CB as a group is not far fetched. I think SMB can be at least equal to Antonio Hamilton. Reasonable to expect Williams to be better. Melton seems to have as much physical talent as Marco had and seemingly a better head on his shoulders. I also expect Jones to be an upgrade over 2023 Clark.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
D-Line must still be a huge area of concern for me.
It isn't where I want it to be but Nichols, Justin Jones, Stills, and Robinson is a huge improvement over the 2023 group. Add in Naquan Jones and LJ Collier (who would have been starters last year) and I think DL in the 3rd best defensive position group after S and ILB. It is better than CB and significantly better than EDGE.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
My hope for EDGE is that the Cardinals move to more of an even-front, base D which puts Robinson at DE, with Nichols and JJones at DT. Makes DT thinner, but I believe it would give Cam Thomas the ability to contribute and enable Ojulari to move off the LOS at WOLB. Not holding my breath but here is to hoping.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Who’s more likely to make the final 53: Cam Thomas or Marquis Hayes?
Cam because the edge room is so bad. Even with that, he likely has a 15% chance and that is mostly in hopes of a modified scheme from 2023.

PS: What did I do to hurt you. Let me mourn the dream of Big Mo in peace.

GimmedaBall

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Tough to correct every position group in one cycle of FA, draft, camp cuts, etc. As painful as it might be in regards to the W-L record this season (and probably next), I agree with the approach of bringing in young vets via FA and using our top-of-the-round draft picks on some good players. We might have to wait another year (or two, gulp) before the Cards are serious contenders for play-offs and beyond but this approach will provide us with a long-term competitive team. Grin and bear it, if you can.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Zaven Collins turns 25 on Saturday. The group is so talent-poor it wouldn’t be surprising to see Jesse Luketa make the roster.

Thanks for those irrelevant points. Maybe you can now explain how a young CB room has hope for growth but a young Edge room doesn't?

Stout

Reaction score
EDGE is really bad unless Collins and Ojulari make big jumps. Maybe Robinson plays EDGE in some capacity which helps the group. Who knows on that. Agree that it is a bad group.

I look at last year's CB group with Marco, Williams, Clark, Hamilton, and Starling with a similarly bad EDGE group, and think significant improvement at CB as a group is not far fetched. I think SMB can be at least equal to Antonio Hamilton. Reasonable to expect Williams to be better. Melton seems to have as much physical talent as Marco had and seemingly a better head on his shoulders. I also expect Jones to be an upgrade over 2023 Clark.
I have zero hope Collins makes that jump. I have some hope Ojulari makes a jump, but limited hope it is a "big" jump.

Stout

Reaction score
Tough to correct every position group in one cycle of FA, draft, camp cuts, etc. As painful as it might be in regards to the W-L record this season (and probably next), I agree with the approach of bringing in young vets via FA and using our top-of-the-round draft picks on some good players. We might have to wait another year (or two, gulp) before the Cards are serious contenders for play-offs and beyond but this approach will provide us with a long-term competitive team. Grin and bear it, if you can.
We've had two cycles, or will have by the time the season starts.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NoObstacles92