24 season finale!!! (big time spoilers)

Mike Olbinski

Formerly Chandler Mike
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wow, I'd say kind of a tame resolution for everything that happened for 23.5 hours...it seemed pretty easy to get Kingsley, pretty quick turnaround by Mike, and Chappell...everyone is happy.

THEN BAM! President gets poisoned, and the show ends.

Will he die? as the time expired, I thought I heard him take a final breath, then let it out...almost like he died.

Crazy ending, but once I saw him doing the press conference at the end, I knew it was coming.

I love this show!

Mike

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Originally posted by Bob Chebat
One word sums up tonights' show....

LAME!

<sigh>

Why? What's the point of a single word answer like that Bob? Seriously, what was so lame about it? The whole season has been full of gaping plot holes and ridiculous situations. But, to me, the rest of it more than makes up for it. At least there were no mountain lions in this episode! :D

I thought it was a great ending, they'll probably continue the story next season about a week later or something. Cool to end on a cliffhanger, rather than last season when they weren't sure they were even going to get picked up.

Bob Chebat

The Silencer!
Reaction score
It was extremely anti-climactic. The build up was phenominal, and then to have it end like it did. I thought one of the things that made the first season so good was the dead end they left us at. The only cliffhanger was what sort of storyline could they come up with this season.

Now, there is still the guy on the boat, AND, the woman who handed Palmer the virus, did you happen to notice who that was? She was the one in the first season who jumped out of the airplane and blew it up. I thought she died? Maybe it is the same actress playing a different part?

If they wanted to throw a wrench into the picture, they should have shown the guy on the yacht talking to Nina. They also should have let Sherry die.

Sorry, but I thought it was a very poorly written finale. Also, last season, they knew midway through that it would be picked up. The show has been a huge success since day one.

Ryanwb

ASFN IDOL
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
It was extremely anti-climactic. The build up was phenominal, and then to have it end like it did.

Wow, to think my sex life and a TV show could be described exactly the same way :D

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Originally posted by Bob Chebat

Now, there is still the guy on the boat, AND, the woman who handed Palmer the virus, did you happen to notice who that was? She was the one in the first season who jumped out of the airplane and blew it up. I thought she died? Maybe it is the same actress playing a different part?

Her lesbian love in Season 1 was the one who died.

If they wanted to throw a wrench into the picture, they should have shown the guy on the yacht talking to Nina. They also should have let Sherry die.

The fact that they brought back Mandy says that Nina might appear in another major capacity in season 3.

Sorry, but I thought it was a very poorly written finale.

Besides not knowing who some of the new key players are, what else was badly written? I thought they did a great job with Marie--she was no longer a hot blonde, but a psychopath. Props to the acting talent of the actress and the clothing/makeup people. The fact not knowing who these other people are (on the yacht and that other guy at the cafe), contributes to the cliffhanger ending. Most quality television shows end on a cliffhanger. Did you want a clear-cut ending?

Also, last season, they knew midway through that it would be picked up.

By the time the middle of the season was actually seen by us, the series was probably just about finished filming. Tonight's finale was probably filmed back in February.

Bob Chebat

The Silencer!
Reaction score
Yes, I wanted a clear cut ending. Ending it after the press conference instead of making the president collapse would have been better. There needs to be some closure. What happened tonight tells you that this particular story line is going to continue. I really liked the fact that this season was so different from last season. It took away the "soap" factor.

What I think was poorly written was the fact that a season ago, they shocked us by having Nina kill Jack's wife. That was tremendous. They went for the same effect with Palmer and in my opinion, it did not work. It was no shock that someone tried to knock him off. I guess if Dennis Haysbert and FOX cannot come to terms on a new contract, that will dictate whether his character lives or dies. (This is a guess, I have no idea what his contract status is.)

I still love the show. It is, along with two others, the only TV I make it a point to watch every week. I'll still watch it again next season as well. I was just very disappointed in how it ended.

Oh, and you are right about Kate's sister. She was excellent, and that particular scene with her and her father was awesome. I'm guessing you did not see the mountain lions in background licking their chops as Kim and Jack were re-united? They'll get her, at least we can hope. :D

OP
OP
Mike Olbinski

Mike Olbinski

Formerly Chandler Mike
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Man, I didn't even know that chick was from season one...now that I do, it even made the show THAT much better...

Mike

FischerKing

Beer me a post...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
As far as plot holes - I was wondering how they were going to effectly tie up all the loose ends that they (the writers) kept introducing even as late as last week. The ending did feel kind of rushed and glossed over and I suggested that they temporarily rename the show 25 last night and have a 2 hour finale - but that didn't happen.

What I liked:

Palmer's spiel to his cabinet after he was reinstated - great writing and a great speech, it was pretty awesome! What they heck does dude need a speech writer for? He comes up with his own stuff pretty well off the cuff - I'd fire her.

He's letting Mike Novak go - I agreed with that, however I did feel a bit of sympathy for Mike in his last scene. I'll give the nod to his acting - I really enjoyed his character the past two seasons - even when I did hate him the final few episodes. He did an excellent job and I'll hate to see him go...unless he joins the other side, but I think he has too much integrity for that.

Kingsley - the steely-eyed killer. He was a so much better villian than last seasons. Very cold hearted and steely. They did an tremendous job casting him - that was awesome - I especially like his final little bit on-screen with Jack at the collesium.

Tony telling Ryan "Either fire me or get out of my chair"!!! Tony has definitely taken a page - or for that matter a whole chapter - out of Jack Bauer's book somewhere along the way. He seemed to morph into a lesser Jack after he got his butt kicked by him several episodes back. I like his character even more know.

I liked the psuedo cliff-hanger ending.

I liked the writing this season so much better than the first one.

Stuff I didn't like:

Nobody's mentioned Lynn - poor Lynn. If Palmer ends up dieing, will anyone ever care about her again?

Kim - she seems to be a bit hardened now after shooting and killing the dad - please God don't have her teaming up with Jack in a "bring your daughter to work day" where they are a killing duo - I wouldn't be able to take that. The mountain lion should have gotten her - that would have been great.

Nina - she's out there somewhere just biding her time - I hope she makes a re-appearance next season, I like her character as an antagonist. I was disappointed that she didn't show up after the middle of the season.

Ryan is such a baby - but that's a nod to his good acting. Doesn't matter I don't like him. I did enjoy Mike Novak turning up the heat on him - that was good for Ryan to squirm and good for Mike to get a little redemption on the way out.

I already mentioned it, but the ending felt too "neat" I guess is the word. Even though, I thought the rest of the season was able to more than make up for it. So I'll live.

The final thing I hate - 24 withdraws...I can feel them starting to set in.

Well, it looks like my Tuesday nights are all freed up again.

Shawn

OP
OP
Mike Olbinski

Mike Olbinski

Formerly Chandler Mike
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I actually thought it was going to be Nina when they showed the back of the girls head as she walked up to the President.

I agree with your comments Shawn...amazing how Palmer kept his VP, and the others, but let Mike go. That was some seriously good writing there...

I liked it though...if you guys want to look at the big picture...yeah, the first season pretty much wrapped everything up, which was cool, but it was also their first season and they weren't sure they'd be renewed.

Almost every season finale out there always leaves you hanging for next year, so why can't 24 do that?

The big picture is this...Kate and Jack obviously have something going on...Marie is still there, who knows what she'll do...the dude on the boat, the girl from the first season...it seems like a nice, big conspiracy...

So next season, so many things could happen...now that Kate has a personal stake in what's going on, her being involved next season wont seem as stupid as Kim being involved this season.

Mike

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Well, Lynn was in a coma after she fell, so it actually probably would have been ridiculous if she had been in the last episodes. My guess is that next season (assuming she recovers) she will become the "voice of Palmer" when Prescott is president again. And if Palmer gets cured, then Lynn might even take Mike's place on his staff.

Kudos to the actor that played Mike--I don't know if anyone noticed it, but when Palmer told him he was letting him go, he had a tear run down his cheek. That was great acting.

We'll have to see just how stupid the suits at Fox are if they give Kim screen time again. I think they've just run out of stuff for her. It was like just using her stupid storyline as an excuse to see her run in a white t-shirt.

Ryan Chappell seems like such a scumbag to me, but the same actor plays the priest in the Soprano's, so that's who I always picture when I see him.

I already mentioned it, but the ending felt too "neat" I guess is the word.

Hmmm. Interesting. Bob feels the opposite. I thought it was something inbetween. I felt there was enough closure in Jack's storyline to be satisfactory, and the cliffhanger, while I predicted it as soon as he had his press conference, was appropriate.

FischerKing

Beer me a post...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by Chaplin
Well, Lynn was in a coma after she fell, so it actually probably would have been ridiculous if she had been in the last episodes. My guess is that next season (assuming she recovers) she will become the "voice of Palmer" when Prescott is president again. And if Palmer gets cured, then Lynn might even take Mike's place on his staff.

I didn't think she was in a coma - just a severe concussion. Regardless, my point wasn't "why wasn't she in the final episodes" but instead, there wasn't any mention of her by Palmer or anyone else.

I figured since Mike was on the way out he step up on last time and confess to what really happened to her, etc. Perhaps that was expecting too much - yeah, I suppose it was. Probably would have been out of character for him to do so - I don't know.

I was just looking for a mention of her - I wasn't looking to see her again until next season.

Shawn

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard