2024 Free Agency thread

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
And I like the profiles of Nichols and Jones. I think they are NFL-level starters. But I feel they are more players who hope to have a Corey Peters level career than guys who are taking over games. Complementary players are important but they have to have higher end players to complement.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach

I guess I could be missing something BritCard but this is from Fox Sports website? KC and SF #2 and #3?

I'm definitely not saying QB is not important. It's very important!

But a team needs a very good defense too if it wants to win a championship, which is the point of this entire exercise, wouldn't you agree?
I'm 100% sure that @BritCard will admit his mistake and not double down or say (essentially) "Yeah, but still."

The only playoff teams ranked in the bottom half of PPG (the ones who win regular season games) were LARM (19th), Miami (22nd), and Philly (30th).

FWIW, I think there's a range of potential outcomes between "Top 3 QB in the NFL" (Kyler in first eight weeks of 2021) and "Starts eyeing Clayton Tune again" (Kyler in 2022). This team has to be good enough that Kyler can be as good as Derek Carr and the team can still win seven games.

BTW: Is QBR broken all of a sudden? CJ Stroud was 16th in QBR last year, behind Gardner Minshew and Jake Browning? Joshua Dobbs was ranked behind Kyler Murray? Might be time to check the algorithm there.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
And I like the profiles of Nichols and Jones. I think they are NFL-level starters. But I feel they are more players who hope to have a Corey Peters level career than guys who are taking over games. Complementary players are important but they have to have higher end players to complement.
Yeah. Corey Peters was a dude, but he was only going to be the third- or fourth-best player on a playoff-caliber defensive line. Our top two DTs are that. We have to do more than hope for a miracle in Dante Stills.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
I like both players, but I agree at best they're Rucker/Peters types. The DL still needs more talent, but it's better than running Fotu, Lopez, and Hopkins out there.

I'd still target a pass rushing DT and a run stopper type in the draft and be happy there is a lot more depth.

Last edited:
OP
OP
BritCard

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Yes. That defense also had three DL players better than anything we currently have. Watt, Allen, and Peters were all better than the players we have added this offseason. This defenses will also not have Markus Golden and Chandler Jones on the EDGE combining for 21.5 sacks.

Watt missed 10 games. Corey Peters was a corpse by then and played 363 snaps, everyone we signed so far is better than 2021 Corey Peters with his combined 24 tackles, 3 TFLs and 2 pressures, and Allen had a worse year than Justin Jones had last year.

This is just rose tinted goggles in action.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Watt missed 10 games. Corey Peters was a corpse by then and played 363 snaps, everyone we signed so far is better than 2021 Corey Peters with his combined 24 tackles, 3 TFLs and 2 pressures, and Allen had a worse year than Justin Jones had last year.

This is just rose tinted goggles in action.
Weird that a defense with no talent could finished 11th in scoring. But okay.

OP
OP
BritCard

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach

I guess I could be missing something BritCard but this is from Fox Sports website? KC and SF #2 and #3?

I'm definitely not saying QB is not important. It's very important!

But a team needs a very good defense too if it wants to win a championship, which is the point of this entire exercise, wouldn't you agree?

Sorry when you said scoring defense I thought you meant, points scored. I always refer to it as points allowed or conceded.

Well yes, points conceded is the opposite side of the coin to points scored. But the Saints, Raiders, Jets were all top 10, Vikings were 12th. Pats 14th. It didn't help them much without good QB play.

I don't know why this is so contentious. How good we are will depend on Kyler. How good any team are depends on their QB.

I don't care how good Ravens, Chiefs or 49ers defenses are, if their QB is ranking bottom 20% in most QB metrics then they ain't winning anything.

This teams record this will depend entirely on where Kyler lands on the QB play scale. He's shown a very high ceiling and a very low floor so far in his career and our record next year depends where the needle lands.

OP
OP
BritCard

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

What talent exactly do you think was on this team?

This was the defense in the week 9 23-13 win over the Seahawks in order of snaps played. Minus guys like Budda and JT that are still on the team.

Murphy is very similar to SMB, in fact SMB's peaks are far higher.

Simmons sucked and him and Hicks are no better than White and Mack. In fact I prefer White and Mack.

Justin Jones had a better year last year than Allen.

Most of the rest were done in the league the year after or washed out by now.

The only obvious upgrade is at Edge, but that was Jones worst season with us. That 2021 team had 6 sacks more than we had last year.

Byron Murphy
Isaiah Simmons
Jordan Hicks
Marco Wilson
Markus Golden
Chandler Jones
Zach Allen
Robert Alford
Jordan Phillips
Corey Peters
Leki Fotu
Michael Dogbe
Zach Kerr
Devon Kennard

Crimson Warrior

Dangerous Murray Zealot
Reaction score
Sorry when you said scoring defense I thought you meant, points scored. I always refer to it as points allowed or conceded.

Well yes, points conceded is the opposite side of the coin to points scored. But the Saints, Raiders, Jets were all top 10, Vikings were 12th. Pats 14th. It didn't help them much without good QB play.

I don't know why this is so contentious. How good we are will depend on Kyler. How good any team are depends on their QB.

I don't care how good Ravens, Chiefs or 49ers defenses are, if their QB is ranking bottom 20% in most QB metrics then they ain't winning anything.

This teams record this will depend entirely on where Kyler lands on the QB play scale. He's shown a very high ceiling and a very low floor so far in his career and our record next year depends where the needle lands.

Np.

I think you're undervaluing the defensive side of the ball, but I'm not going to argue that we need K1 to be a top eight QB if we want to win anything.

OP
OP
BritCard

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Np.

I think you're undervaluing the defensive side of the ball, but I'm not going to argue that we need K1 to be a top eight QB if we want to win anything.

Defense is important, just not anywhere near as important as QB play.

They are not isolated things either. That garbage 2021 defensive roster was elevated by great offensive play (which was elevated by Kyler). That 2021 defense was nowhere near 7th but a great offense lifts the defense. Defenses play better when they have time to rest and adjust. They play better when they have a lead to defend.

Our defense will be better if Kyler plays well.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
I'd argue that team had a lot more pass rush, and got ahead by a few scores early which put the offenses in catch up mode early in games.

Talent wise, everyone was credible NFL players mostly, which wasn't the case last year.

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'd argue that team had a lot more pass rush, and got ahead by a few scores early which put the offenses in catch up mode early in games.

Talent wise, everyone was credible NFL players mostly, which wasn't the case last year.
Ya how many of them had just finished stints as Amazon Drivers before the Cardinals called their name? EDIT: I love amazon drivers. I will stop using that term.

Last edited:

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
Allen had a worse year than Justin Jones had last year.
According to who? You and Krang? This is just absurd. If Jones is so good, why didn't he get a contract like Allen, who made his money with a lower cap? Why wasn't he included in the top 10 on any list of top DT's available? Is everyone biased against Jones?

Krang at least admitted it - Jones is a Rucker/Peters type player. Zach Allen is an above average starter. Two different players.

QuebecCard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
According to who? You and Krang? This is just absurd. If Jones is so good, why didn't he get a contract like Allen, who made his money with a lower cap? Why wasn't he included in the top 10 on any list of top DT's available? Is everyone biased against Jones?

Krang at least admitted it - Jones is a Rucker/Peters type player. Zach Allen is an above average starter. Two different players.

Duh!

Denver overpaid!

Z. Allen (26)

17 games: Snap count: 911 - PD: 1 - Sacks: 5 - Tackles: 60 (27/33) - TFL: 8 - QB hits: 24 - Press: 27

J. Jones (27) - with 172 fewer snaps!

17 games: Snap count 739 - PD: 4 - Sacks: 4.5 - Tackles: 49 (29/20) - TFL: 10 - QB hits: 17 - Press: 22

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
Duh!

Denver overpaid!

Z. Allen (26)

17 games: Snap count: 911 - PD: 1 - Sacks: 5 - Tackles: 60 (27/33) - TFL: 8 - QB hits: 24 - Press: 27

J. Jones (27) - with 172 fewer snaps!

17 games: Snap count 739 - PD: 4 - Sacks: 4.5 - Tackles: 49 (29/20) - TFL: 10 - QB hits: 17 - Press: 22
Lol, keep banging that limited data set, which Allen supercedes Jones in nearly every category. If Jones is so good, why did he play fewer snaps?

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
Yes, the team that finished last in almost every statistical defensive category last season & added minimal talent equates to having “some” actual defensive players.

Your outdid yourself with this one.
like a little kid saying they ate their vegetables , lol

QuebecCard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Lol, keep banging that limited data set, which Allen supercedes Jones in nearly every category. If Jones is so good, why did he play fewer snaps?

(lol) Nearly every category, ignoring 172 more snaps for Allen.

It's because they had a better rotation than in Denver.

You're gaslighting yourself with this silliness!

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score

Allen is just a smidge better than Rucker and Peters though.

He's a smidge better than Jones for more.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard