2024 Free Agency thread

bankybruce

All In!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media
If they trade him pre-june 1st, it's $31 mill in dead money, which would be $3.5 million more than if they keep him. A post June 1st trade saves them $19 million.

Cutting him is worse.

If we trade for him, it's he under contract for 4 years and we'd be on the hook for $18 million each year and he'd be a FA just as MHJ needs to be extended.

Since the trade will most likely have to be executed post June 1st, how about a 2nd Round pick next year?

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
30 million in cap space and some big holes to fill. I guess we'll maybe try to be serious about winning next year? Maybe it's a 4 year plan.

bankybruce

All In!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
30 million in cap space and some big holes to fill. I guess we'll maybe try to be serious about winning next year? Maybe it's a 4 year plan.
$18-$19 million. Rookies Pool is $14 million minus $2-$3 million for the off sets of the lower end of the roster.

I'd anticipate 1-2 signings before the draft and then wait for June 1st cuts posy draft.

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
It's funny people concerned with all these "cap space" concerns. The SB champs have Mahomes, Kelce, just re-signed Chris Jones, tagged their top CB, and signed Hollywood to an 11 mill contract.

Where are the cap concerns in KC? I'm guessing Chris Jones makes more than the enitre Cards DL.

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's funny people concerned with all these "cap space" concerns. The SB champs have Mahomes, Kelce, just re-signed Chris Jones, tagged their top CB, and signed Hollywood to an 11 mill contract.

Where are the cap concerns in KC? I'm guessing Chris Jones makes more than the enitre Cards DL.
You know what they don't have? CASITAS!!!

bankybruce

All In!
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Once you have a established roster, sure. We don't have a foundation/core yet and we can't spend unwisely until then. The Chiefs have a great foundation and make money work around it.

BurqueCardFan

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
$18-$19 million. Rookies Pool is $14 million minus $2-$3 million for the off sets of the lower end of the roster.

I'd anticipate 1-2 signings before the draft and then wait for June 1st cuts posy draft.
Whatever makes you feel better. We all know the cap is bs. Every winning team knows how to work around the cap. Losing team mentality is to use the cap as an excuse.

bankybruce

All In!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Whatever makes you feel better. We all know the cap is bs. Every winning team knows how to work around the cap. Losing team mentality is to use the cap as an excuse.
I've said it before, I want the rebuild done right. I don't want to throw money at expense free agents just to add names. We can spend once we have an established foundation built through thr draft. If we throw money now, then we have to play cap carousel like Kiem did every off season.

So yeah, doing it the right way makes me feel better.

Unless you prefer to have the likes of JJ Watt as a cap hit 2 full years after he retired.

Last edited:

HairZach

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
There are rumors we have been trying to get Higgins from the Bengals ever since he requested a trade. Frankly there aren't that many splash free agents and the guys that you really want usually don't go to 4 win teams. Look at who the commanders have been signing to get their fanbase excited. Washed Austin Ekeler, washed Zach Ertz, ancient Bobby Wagner.

We're also going to have 11 rookies on the roster next year and we will want to play them. We want to sign enough free agents so we aren't forced to draft certain positions, but we don't want to sign so many that the rookies can't get on the field to develop. We have to avoid Devon Kennard type signings.

My expectation for next season is to be like the 2023 Rams/Packers. Everyone will expect us to be awful because we're starting almost entirely 1st/2nd year players and nobody knows the names of anyone besides Kyler/MHJ/Budda. We look okay at the start of the season, we struggle mightily in the mid season, then make a playoff push late in the season as things start to click. If we're lucky enough to make the playoffs, anything can happen.

Once we start to ascend it will be a lot easier to convince top free agents to come here. I also think our fanbase is so used to garbage drafts that we expect our seasons to go well/poorly based off of free agency pick ups.

Look at what happened to the Packers. At the start of last season they had a barren WR room, then in the last 4 weeks of the season it looked like they had 5 studs on rookie deals. Now they're getting guys like Josh Jacobs and Xavier McKinney in free agency.

Last edited:

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've said it before, I want the rebuild done right. I don't want to throw money at expense free agents just to add names. We can spend once we have an established foundation built through thr draft. If we throw money now, then we have to play cap carousel like Kiem did every off season.

what proof is there so far that we’re doing this “the right way”… is it the improvement from 4 wins the previous season to… 4 with wins last season… or having the 2nd worst defense in the league?

Unless you prefer to have the likes of JJ Watt as a cap hit 2 full years after he retired.
Yeah… Because signing the over the hill and injury prone JJ Watts of the league is the only alternative! Sheesh… I thought you were better than projecting this false choice BS.

That kind of crap just derails any honest discussion.

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score

agree... the main free agent I wanted was wilinson and I was prepared to pay him 3mil a year more than OTC estimated his cost to be... but then the raiders gave him nearly as much guaranteed as I was expecting the entire contract value to be...and like 7mil a year more than OTC had estimated... fudge that, dont want him that damned bad.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score

And of that 18-19, another 7 or so goes for in season signings.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
agree... the main free agent I wanted was wilinson and I was prepared to pay him 3mil a year more than OTC estimated his cost to be... but then the raiders gave him nearly as much guaranteed as I was expecting the entire contract value to be...and like 7mil a year more than OTC had estimated... fudge that, dont want him that damned bad.
If Wilkins plays his career average, that's an awful contract. He's probably even overpaid for his best season. Leave it to the Raiders to do that.

bankybruce

All In!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
what proof is there so far that we’re doing this “the right way”… is it the improvement from 4 wins the previous season to… 4 with wins last season… or having the 2nd worst defense in the league?

Yeah… Because signing the over the hill and injury prone JJ Watts of the league is the only alternative! Sheesh… I thought you were better than projecting this false choice BS.

My point is people are mad we aren't throwing money at players. Keim did that and that's why we are in this current situation. I have no idea if Monti is picking the right players, but I do know he's putting us in a situation to try and build a foundation first vs just spending to spend.

We all known there is no perfect plan in the NFL, if there was everyone would be doing it the same way. I'm willing to ride with trying something different that sets us up to keep our own talent down the road.

As for the JJ Watt part, this whole thing started with Chase Young signing. Chase Young, an injury prone player in the DL, so yes, the Watt comparison is relevant. I don't want to throw big money at him to be have a cap hit down the road. Do you prefer the Jordan Phillips comparison instead?

What would your ideal off season look like? I truly curious how you would have done it differently. Who would you have signed?

Last edited:

PJ1

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
It is interesting to see some of the same excuses as last year for not going hard in free agency. It is too soon. We don’t have a foundation built yet. Other teams are stupid to make these signings.

Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Arizona Cardinals

While Arizona can select a talented wideout with either of its first-round picks in next month's draft, trading for Diggs would allow the team to get creative with the fourth overall pick. The Cardinals could potentially receive a massive haul for the selection, depending on the quarterback prospect that falls to them.
Arizona doesn't necessarily need more draft capital since it has the most 2024 selections among teams (11), though trading the No. 4 overall pick could help expedite its rebuild. As a team with a quarterback earning the fifth-highest annual salary at the position, the sooner the Cardinals can get back into playoff contention, the better.

Even with Murray's deal on the books, Arizona still has the ninth-most cap space in the NFL ($29.96M). Therefore, there's no reason it shouldn't explore a Diggs trade, especially since WR Marquise Brown signed with Kansas City last week. Perhaps a deal centered around one of the Cardinals' three third-round picks would pique Buffalo's interest.

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score

So what is your measuring stick of success?
Up to this point it’s impossible to determine if what has been done to this point is going to be a success. Would signing Chris Jones have assured us a 9 wins and a playoff spot?
Would improving to 7 wins with some meaningful games be an adequate improvement?
Whether MO is doing this thing right or wrong or if it will translate into a certain degree of improvement can’t be determined yet. But he seems to have a plan and seems to “know” the type of players he wants.
Also Kyler could get hurt in game 3 and derail the entire season even if the defense moves from last to 15th.
We’ll see but I’m not going to come to any conclusions just yet.

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Bills are not going to trade Diggs.

Even if they are listening to offers, the Cardinals will not be calling. We haven't seen a single thing from Monti that would say he wants a big ticket 30 year old WR on the team. He let Hopkins walk for nothing rather than having a WR like that.

bankybruce

All In!
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Even if they are listening to offers, the Cardinals will not be calling. We haven't seen a single thing from Monti that would say he wants a big ticket 30 year old WR on the team. He let Hopkins walk for nothing rather than having a WR like that.
While I agree Diggs is a fantasy and doesn't fit with what Monti is doing, I think he's different than DHop. He's showing no decline and is under contract for 4 more at an affordable amount that could be cut with no dead money if traded for. That's why I'd like him, especially as MHJ gets up to NFL speed. But you are right, we aren't trading for him. Plus, the Bills created enough space to keep him.

JohnnyCakes

Miserables
Reaction score

Hopkins was also caught cheating and is a huge cornholio. If youre trying to change culture in a clubhouse you start by eradicating players like him

OP
OP
BritCard

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
My point is people are mad we aren't throwing money at players. Keim did that and that's why we are in this current situation. I have no idea if Monti is picking the right players, but I do know he's putting us in a situation to try and build a foundation first vs just spending to spend.

We all known there is no perfect plan in the NFL, if there was everyone would be doing it the same way. I'm willing to ride with trying something different that sets us up to keep our own talent down the road.

As for the JJ Watt part, this whole did whole thing started with Chase Young signing. Chase Young, an injury prone player in the DL, so yes, the Watt comparison is relevant. I don't want to throw big money at him to be have a cap hit down the road. Do you prefer the Jordan Phillips comparison instead?

People think the only way to build a team is splash in free agency.

We went from 5-11 to 10-6 in 2013 with the superstar additions of Drew Stanton, Rashard Mendenhall, Chilo Rachal, Frostee Rucker, Matt Shaughnessy, Quentin Groves, Karlos Dansby, Jasper Brinkley, Antoine Cason, Javier Arenas, Jerraud Powers and Yeremiah Bell. By my reckoning that's 3 starters and a bunch of depth, and most of these were gone the year after.

And adding Jesse Minter, Alex Okafor Andre Ellington, Tony Jefferson and Badger in the draft.

What propelled the team was Carson Palmer. The same way that this team will depend on the performance of Kyler Murray.

Yeah there were some decent players on the roster. Larry, Calais, P2, Dockett, Jefferson, but they were on the roster in 2012 too.

People forget how those rosters were poor on paper. There were no star signings. During the whole BA era the biggest signing were probably Veldheer and Iupati, and they are no bigger than Jonah Williams.

These are the biggest FA spenders the last 4 seasons and in brackets what it's got them.

• New York Jets: $346MM; 0 PA
  • Jacksonville Jaguars $324MM; 1 PA
  • Cincinnati Bengals: $287MM; 2 PA; 1 CC
  • Miami Dolphins: $270MM; 2 PA
  • Las Vegas Raiders: $249MM; 1 PA
  • New York Giants: $240MM; 1 PA
  • Carolina Panthers: $234MM; 0 PA
  • New England Patriots: $230MM; 1 PA
  • Denver Broncos: $229MM; 0 PA
  • Chicago Bears: $227MM; 1 PA
  • Los Angeles Chargers: $222MM; 1 PA
  • Houston Texans: $206MM; 1 PA