2024 Free Agency thread

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
This year, I think you can point to guys like Hunter and Queen as realistic targets that would make a difference. We'll see what Hunter ends up getting, but regardless, we have plenty of money to pay either of them. At least ONE would help at this point. We've mainly acquired mediocre starters so far at best. Hopefully at least several of them end up being more than that, but we're basically wishcasting at this point.

I think Allen, and to a lesser extent Murphy would have been fine to extend. Isn't the whole premise here to keep your young talent that you've developed? Neither made crazy money. If you're going to build through the draft, you have to keep some of these guys around for their 2nd contract.

No doubt.

Getting one or two of that tier of player will make it easier to contend.

I'm not asking for true stars - just a couple of above average starters from FA. Surely that's not asking too much with plenty of cap space and a true lack of above average players across the board. You're just not going to get 4-5 above average starters in every draft.
Hunter, sure.

Queen? LMFAO.

One of the most foolish things NFL teams do right now is spending big money (or high draft picks) on off the ball LBs. I have been converted to this way of the thinking after looking at the relative success of spending a lot vs spending a little. Kyzir White isn't that much worse than Roquan Smith and he literally gets paid a quarter of his contract.

To the overall point, I agree that a playmaker should have been the target, but I think I get the logic that Ossenfort is using. The Cardinals want to raise the floor and find those guys through the draft and develop them. They aren't attacking the rebuild as a quick fix with expensive (and risky) free agents.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Kyzir White isn't that much worse than Roquan Smith and he literally gets paid a quarter of his contract.

This is the key thing about positional value and "winning" free agency. What's the delta between a guy you're going to get on the first day of free agency and the guy you're going to get in on the third (and after the draft)?

I think the difference is huge at QB (starter and backup), pass rusher, and wide receiver. I think it's pretty minimal at OG, off-ball linebacker, corner, and safety. You're not going to get 4x the production from Patrick Queen than you get from Kyzir White; I think you are between Calvin Ridley and Zach Pascal.

Nothing tells you more about how serious the Cards are about competing for the playoffs more than the backup QB situation. They have plenty of money to invest in a mid-range backup that offers more security than Clayton Tune.

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I dont disagree with this line of thinking between Cheese and Chris, but I do remember bringing Kyzir White in, and this whole board doing the exact same thing we are doing now, and then by end of season, everyone being extremely happy with his play.... Maybe, juuuuuuuust maybe, we dont know isht.
Good point. It’s obvious MO and JG targeted specific players that fit this team. Why do I think that? Because some of the guys we signed probably would be still available today had we not signed them.
MO didn’t wait. He went out and got the guys that apparently fit this team and the guys he wanted.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Aiyuk to the Jags?

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media
17 overall seems steep for him (though I'd trade our 27th in a heartbeat). Maybe a combo of the Jax 2nd (48th overall) and 4th (114th)?

That said, I'm not engaging in scuttlebutt around insta followers anymore. Much sound and fury signifying nothing.

Totally_Red

Air Raid Warning!
Reaction score
This guy popped up recently on Twitter and broke 4 deals before anyone else, all from the same talent agency. So take it as you like.

Would be nice to not have to force a CB pick in the draft.

CardsFan88

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
This guy popped up recently on Twitter and broke 4 deals before anyone else, all from the same talent agency. So take it as you like.

Here's an article, they seem to cite PFF.

Here's PFF's take from the citation (though it's in SI already)
You must be registered for see images attach

They cite spotrac who feel his market value is 13.6 mill per season.

You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:
OP
OP
BritCard

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
lol Seahawks

Latest posts

Forum statistics