2024 Free Agency thread

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
There’s no such thing as a three to four year rebuild. Bad teams, especially terrible teams record wise like ours, can and often do make a leap in year two and that sets the tone for the future. Incremental change just gives too small of a margin for error where you could be awful again. And then bad habits set in and buy in could start to be a problem.
So many people appear to be satisfied with two straight offseasons of not acquiring a true difference maker. 2023 we acquired basically nobody, and this year it's a bunch of questionable to mediocre starters. Where will the difference makers come from? The 2023 draft certainly doesn't scream any big difference makers? Is our entire strategy to draft 5 stars in this draft?

bankybruce

All In!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I
I hope you're right...the fact the Jets straight up released him makes me skeptical.
I have a close friend who is a avid Jets fan. He said it was the most Jets thing to do and that many thought he was the best RB on thst roster, even over Hall. Carter became a malcontent after working on blocking all offseason and still be relegated to 3rd string behind Cook and got his wish to find a new team.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
So many people appear to be satisfied with two straight offseasons of not acquiring a true difference maker. 2023 we acquired basically nobody, and this year it's a bunch of questionable to mediocre starters. Where will the difference makers come from? The 2023 draft certainly doesn't scream any big difference makers? Is our entire strategy to draft 5 stars in this draft?
I'm still reserving judgement and I think the Cardinals are better now than two days ago, but I do agree, there are guys out there that could significantly make the team better.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score

What did you want them to do -- last year and this one? Who were the "difference makers" that made sense?

Last year in free agency, once you're convinced you have to clear cap and get off the Deandre Hopkins' contract, you're kind of committed to suck. I thought keeping Allen and Murphy raised the floor and made it easier to rebound, but neither of those guys were "difference makers" in the sense you're using it.

I think the Cards could and should have drafted Will Anderson. There's little doubt in my mind that he'll provide more value than PJJ plus the 27th overall pick. The rest of that draft seems pretty mid today.

I don't think that Christian Wilkins or Danielle Hunter make this a playoff team in 2024. Hunter isn't a unique talent -- he's the kind of free agent that pops up every year (usually a couple of them).

I don't think true stars come in free agency. I think you draft the best prospects you can and hope that one or two of them pop to truly outperform expectations.

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I

I have a close friend who is a avid Jets fan. He said it was the most Jets thing to do and that many thought he was the best RB on thst roster, even over Hall. Carter became a malcontent after working on blocking all offseason and still be relegated to 3rd string behind Cook and got his wish to find a new team.
IMO Carter and White were the best free agent pickups of the entire season last year. I have always liked this kid and I think, given more opportunities, he can surprise a lot of people this year.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
What did you want them to do -- last year and this one? Who were the "difference makers" that made sense?
This year, I think you can point to guys like Hunter and Queen as realistic targets that would make a difference. We'll see what Hunter ends up getting, but regardless, we have plenty of money to pay either of them. At least ONE would help at this point. We've mainly acquired mediocre starters so far at best. Hopefully at least several of them end up being more than that, but we're basically wishcasting at this point.
Last year in free agency, once you're convinced you have to clear cap and get off the Deandre Hopkins' contract, you're kind of committed to suck. I thought keeping Allen and Murphy raised the floor and made it easier to rebound, but neither of those guys were "difference makers" in the sense you're using it.
I think Allen, and to a lesser extent Murphy would have been fine to extend. Isn't the whole premise here to keep your young talent that you've developed? Neither made crazy money. If you're going to build through the draft, you have to keep some of these guys around for their 2nd contract.
I think the Cards could and should have drafted Will Anderson. There's little doubt in my mind that he'll provide more value than PJJ plus the 27th overall pick. The rest of that draft seems pretty mid today.
No doubt.
I don't think that Christian Wilkins or Danielle Hunter make this a playoff team in 2024. Hunter isn't a unique talent -- he's the kind of free agent that pops up every year (usually a couple of them).
Getting one or two of that tier of player will make it easier to contend.
I don't think true stars come in free agency. I think you draft the best prospects you can and hope that one or two of them pop to truly outperform expectations.
I'm not asking for true stars - just a couple of above average starters from FA. Surely that's not asking too much with plenty of cap space and a true lack of above average players across the board. You're just not going to get 4-5 above average starters in every draft.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This year, I think you can point to guys like Hunter and Queen as realistic targets that would make a difference. We'll see what Hunter ends up getting, but regardless, we have plenty of money to pay either of them. At least ONE would help at this point. We've mainly acquired mediocre starters so far at best. Hopefully at least several of them end up being more than that, but we're basically wishcasting at this point.

I think Allen, and to a lesser extent Murphy would have been fine to extend. Isn't the whole premise here to keep your young talent that you've developed? Neither made crazy money. If you're going to build through the draft, you have to keep some of these guys around for their 2nd contract.

No doubt.

Getting one or two of that tier of player will make it easier to contend.

I'm not asking for true stars - just a couple of above average starters from FA. Surely that's not asking too much with plenty of cap space and a true lack of above average players across the board. You're just not going to get 4-5 above average starters in every draft.
This is pretty much where I am.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
This is pretty much where I am.
Really hoping Monti will nail this draft - he had a top 3 pick last year (who turned into the defensive rookie of the year and a clear potential future star) and turned it into an OK RT and the #27 pick. Better be hitting on some serious above average players this draft, since that narrow path is apparently our only avenue to getting good starters.

bankybruce

All In!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Interesting!

Dalton Risner and Jermaine Eluemunor represent affordable OL options: Risner is a five-year starter who has yet to record a season with a PFF pass-blocking grade below 65.0, and Eluemunor has earned a 64.0-plus PFF pass-blocking grade in four straight seasons.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
This year, I think you can point to guys like Hunter and Queen as realistic targets that would make a difference... At least ONE would help at this point.

I don't think an off-ball linebacker is going to make much difference. White was, according to Nate Tice at least, playing at an All-Pro level before he got injured. The upgrade from him to Queen isn't going to make much of a difference, IMO.

As I said, I don't think there's much special about Hunter. He's an above-average player to be sure, but there's probably a reason that he's not signed yet. I have no doubt that either or both he and/or Queen would "help", but I don't think it gets us anywhere.

Hunter in 2024 would help us the way Chandler Jones did in 2019.

I'm not asking for true stars - just a couple of above average starters from FA. Surely that's not asking too much with plenty of cap space and a true lack of above average players across the board.

I think there's a fair chance (not a good chance, but a fair one) that our defensive tackles end up "above average." If the season started today, here are the players on the roster I'd say were above average starters:

Offense
QB Kyler Murray
RB James Conner
TE Trey McBride

Defense
ILB Kyzir White
S Jalen Thompson
S Budda Baker

OOOFFF we still really suck hot dang.

bankybruce

All In!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't think an off-ball linebacker is going to make much difference. White was, according to Nate Tice at least, playing at an All-Pro level before he got injured. The upgrade from him to Queen isn't going to make much of a difference, IMO.

As I said, I don't think there's much special about Hunter. He's an above-average player to be sure, but there's probably a reason that he's not signed yet. I have no doubt that either or both he and/or Queen would "help", but I don't think it gets us anywhere.

Hunter in 2024 would help us the way Chandler Jones did in 2019.

I think there's a fair chance (not a good chance, but a fair one) that our defensive tackles end up "above average." If the season started today, here are the players on the roster I'd say were above average starters:

Offense
QB Kyler Murray
RB James Conner
TE Trey McBride

Defense
ILB Kyzir White
S Jalen Thompson
S Budda Baker

OOOFFF we still really suck hot dang.
You're not wrong with those 6. I see a couple if rookies who "could" be added to that list next off season if they make the necessary jumps.

Michael Wilson
Garrett Williams
Paris Johnson

OP
OP
BritCard

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Risner is deserving of a deal but he's not a guy I'd be be bothered about signing. Not a huge leap up from what we had last year.

He's better, but not by much.

Feel like they are going to role with Gaines/Big Mo/Colon etc and see what shakes out in the draft or post draft cuts. Not much left worth signing on the FA guard market.