2024 Draft Countdown/NFL Prospects thread

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
This.

Kyler has had major issues with his accuracy, but also Brown is almost Andy Isabella levels of ball tracking ability.

What makes Tyreek elite isn't his speed. It's his speed and fantastic ball tracking to pair with it.
Weird that some people had Brown pegged as a target-hogging slot receiver when he arrived here.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
I've said it before and I'll say it again. If he wasn't a white QB from Michigan nobody would be hyping him as a 1st-round pick.
Not to start a debate, I don't think this matters like it used to.

2 of the top 4 QBs aren't white.

I think people love that McCarthy only lost one game in his career and he managed an offense well. Protecting the football is a very desirable trait for the old school football guys, and McCarthy just didn't turn the ball over.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
His accuracy over 10 yards, and especially over 15, has been one of the worse in the league the last 2 years. It was one of the best in 2021.
#HollywoodBrownEffect

It's the same issue that Ravens fans talked about. I ignored it because of chemistry and college success, but he's been putrid in deep balls in the NFL. The Chiefs will find out.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
Not to start a debate, I don't think this matters like it used to.

2 of the top 4 QBs aren't white.

I think people love that McCarthy only lost one game in his career and he managed an offense well. Protecting the football is a very desirable trait for the old school football guys, and McCarthy just didn't turn the ball over.
It's a simple Tom Brady analogy, not a "white guy is favored" thing. If he played at Alabama and had the same exact career in the same exact manner and style of offense, no one would be talking him up. "Not turning the ball over" isn't a cause to draft a QB in the 1st round. He hasn't shown anywhere near what he needs to show to be considered for that. Not his fault, but kind of a victim of his team's success.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
Brian Thomas is gonna be very very good. Not really sure why people think there is a huge drop off from the top 3 WRs to him.
I like him a lot - I'd be much more ok with a trade down if we had a legitimate #2 and acquiring Thomas as well. Hell - why not trade for Jefferson, then draft Thomas as well? We have plenty of money.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
#HollywoodBrownEffect

It's the same issue that Ravens fans talked about. I ignored it because of chemistry and college success, but he's been putrid in deep balls in the NFL. The Chiefs will find out.

It's a factor, but he's not only throwing to Hollywood. We've seen accuracy issues across the board. I recall him missing Ertz a bunch of times in 2022.

The only site I know the consistently tracks this is Player Profiler, I don't know their methods but I assume it's consistent across all QBs.

Last year Kyler was #36 in deep ball accuracy, #38 in clean pocket accuracy and #32 in deep ball catchable pass rate and #45 in overall catchable pass rate. He was a little better but similar the year before, although #6 overall in catchable pass rate (probably mostly behind the LOS).

In 2021 he was #3 in deep ball accuracy, #18 in clean pocket accuracy, #5 deep ball catchable pass rate and #13 in catchable pass rate. He was especially good against man coverage.

His last 2 years have been his worst for accuracy.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
It's a simple Tom Brady analogy, not a "white guy is favored" thing. If he played at Alabama and had the same exact career in the same exact manner and style of offense, no one would be talking him up. "Not turning the ball over" isn't a cause to draft a QB in the 1st round. He hasn't shown anywhere near what he needs to show to be considered for that. Not his fault, but kind of a victim of his team's success.
Bryce Young literally just got drafted #1 overall and he's a pretty underwhelming QB from a tools perspective.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
Bryce Young literally just got drafted #1 overall and he's a pretty underwhelming QB from a tools perspective.
AJ McCaron was the same and how'd that work out for him? Every once in a while teams will inexplicably fall in love with a guy who doesn't have the tools and go after them way too high.

Also, how's that working out for the Panthers?

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
AJ McCaron was the same and how'd that work out for him? Every once in a while teams will inexplicably fall in love with a guy who doesn't have the tools and go after them way too high.

Also, how's that working out for the Panthers?
McCarron was drafted in the fifth round. I don't see how that's relevant here.

outcent13

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
It seems more likely to me that teams see what Brock Purdy has been able to accomplish and believe a guy like McCarthy can be a similar player.

Put him in Minnesota with their skill guys and better than average coaching and he could thrive. You put him in Washington and he flames out in my opinion.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
What's killing me is people wanting to trade back up for a WR after trading down to Minnesota like it's just guaranteed the team we're trading up to we'll accept our offer only because it happened last year.

For sure. No one wanted to draft in the top 10 because it was such a mid class at the top. In this one teams are going to be happy with what they get if they need WR/OT and a capstone defensive player at Edge or CB.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
For sure. No one wanted to draft in the top 10 because it was such a mid class at the top. In this one teams are going to be happy with what they get if they need WR/OT and a capstone defensive player at Edge or CB.
I guess the logic is we have lots of holes because we refuse to fill them outside of the draft, so we'll parlay premium talent for hopefully they're great?

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
I guess the logic is we have lots of holes because we refuse to fill them outside of the draft, so we'll parlay premium talent for hopefully they're great?
I think the logic is that we have holes across the roster, so you draft your best available athletes at any position, and they're likely to be better than what you got.

The more bites you have at the apple, the more likely someone pops as a superstar. If you have a more polished roster, you want to drop in the one or two places where even if they guy just turns out really good, you're gonna be in good shape.

This is especially true on defense, where you can take an IDL, Edge, off-ball linebacker, corner, or safety and they're not blocked by anyone we have an investment in. Throw bodies at the situation.

Similar on offense. If we run a 12 personnel base we can take literally any position and feel like we've upgraded except maybe QB.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
I think the logic is that we have holes across the roster, so you draft your best available athletes at any position, and they're likely to be better than what you got.

The more bites you have at the apple, the more likely someone pops as a superstar. If you have a more polished roster, you want to drop in the one or two places where even if they guy just turns out really good, you're gonna be in good shape.

This is especially true on defense, where you can take an IDL, Edge, off-ball linebacker, corner, or safety and they're not blocked by anyone we have an investment in. Throw bodies at the situation.

Similar on offense. If we run a 12 personnel base we can take literally any position and feel like we've upgraded except maybe QB.
Draft picks are all essentially lottery tickets.

A trade down with the Vikings where you walk away with a king's ransom could potentially add three extra players with good long term potential.

One thing it doesn't do is add a potential household name kind of player

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
Draft picks are all essentially lottery tickets.

A trade down with the Vikings where you walk away with a king's ransom could potentially add three extra players with good long term potential.

One thing it doesn't do is add a potential household name kind of player
True.
Tests the quality of your scouting department.
JJ Watt wasn't a household name when he was drafted...but he sure was a few years later.

Same for Maxx Crosby. Lots of draftnics didn't even know much about him.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
True.
Tests the quality of your scouting department.
JJ Watt wasn't a household name when he was drafted...but he sure was a few years later.
Dude, he was the first defensive end taken at pick 11...deep cut he wasn't.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach

Cardinals do the smart thing and take Harrison Jr., but when they see Latu falling the trade up with the Vikings to get him at #23.

They get lucky and because they aren't desperate to fill DL and OT, the Cardinals draft Jackson Powers-Johnson to play LG.

At pick #71, there were a number of players I liked, so I traded back a bit and added a higher pick. Still wanting to add more offensive punch, the Cardinals draft Jaylen Wright who has been ascending through the pre draft process. He has elite speed and was a really strong pass blocker in college which means he should see the field early.

With the looming free agency for Budda Baker, the Cardinals do the sensible thing and draft a safety to replace him. Kitchens is more of a ball hawk than Baker ever has been and he adds much needed safety depth and will fill in sub packages next year and be the starter in 2025.

Renardo Green will compete for a starting spot early on. He was one of the best man cover corners in the country and has an uncanny knack for separating WRs from the ball. He was flying under the radar early on, but he has jumped up mock drafts a lot in the past month. I didn't want to miss out on him so I traded up to get him.

The Cardinals finally add a DT in Duke's DeWayne Carter. Carter had a slight downgrade from his dominant 2022, but he was still one of the best pass rushing DTs in the nation in 2023, and is a steal at this point.

I know the Cardinals fan base is scared by munchkin receivers, but Malik Washington is a dog. He's 5'8 but weighs around 200 lbs. and was one the five best WRs against man coverage last year. The fan base loves Greg Dortch, but Malik Washington could be an even better slot receiver. He graduated from Northwestern before transferring to Virginia where he completed his master's degree. Very driven young man and he was productive his entire career.

Finally the Cardinals add another TE to bolster what could be a strength, headlined by "Big Play" Trey McBride. Ben Sinnott is a do it all TE, who can block, flex out wide, and play in the backfield. He could factor in as TE2 next year.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard