2024 Draft Countdown/NFL Prospects thread

RON_IN_OC

https://www.ronevansrealty.com
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Still if Nabers runs low 4.3 maybe Monti will really consider him if MHJ is gone. Maybe.
Apparently, Nabers is going the MHJ route for pre draft stuff and not testing. Unless they decide to do something at their Pro Days we may not get to see a split time on the clock for either of them.

Odunze is said to be full go at the combine and his pro day, however.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Spent the last couple days looking into this guy. Kiran Amegadije out of Yale. Dude has all of the tools if you can develop them.

OP
OP
football karma

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
Spent the last couple days looking into this guy. Kiran Amegadije out of Yale. Dude has all of the tools if you can develop them.
its a shame (for a variety of reasons) that DJ got hurt

the Cards could take a guy like Kiran knowing he didnt need to play right away

maybe they sign Tyron Smith to play LT for a year to give them that flexibility

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
To expand a bit more, I think that defining what positions matter the most in the NFL is a good exercise.

1. QB. This is an obvious answer. I think to win a championship with league average QB play, you would need five All Pros on your offense to compensate.

2. LT. This is my personal view, but it's shifting a bit because teams move edge around a lot in the modern NFL . This is my traditional view, but I think the next position is overtaking it...

3. WR. To maximize the effectiveness of a QB, having a top WR can really cause issues for a defense since they have to routinely have two defenders cover top WRs.

4. Edge. Great edge players can just wreck a blocking scheme and give coverage players the luxury of not having to cover receivers as long.

5. CB. Obviously stopping receivers and the degrading the QBs ability to dissect a defense is very important.

There are ways to mitigate less talent at some of these positions however. We've seen teams in the past that have a group of B+ pass rushers be able to apply constant pressure. We've seen teams skimp on CB because their pass rushers are so good.

I don't necessarily believe in a fully dogmatic approach, but if you identify needs at any of these five positions, you have to use your resources to get better. Keim didn't do that, and he doubled down on dumb when a player didn't work out.

Also, I fully believe that not just round one should be devoted to filling these positions, but also round two as well. I'm okay with taking a guard round three, but in rounds 2 and 3, there is virtually always a player from a higher impact position available.
I think you prioritize them, but as you say, dogmatic pursuit of them leads to Leonard Davis over Adrian Peterson stupidity. And Keim’s problem wasn’t so much that he kept taking off ball linebackers but that he kept taking bad ones. When was our defense flying around making plays? When we had the Washington/dansby combo. Identify the right the right talent, regardless of position, and it tends to pay dividends.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
I think you prioritize them, but as you say, dogmatic pursuit of them leads to Leonard Davis over Adrian Peterson stupidity.
1. RBs were valued differently back then.

2. Even at the time, Levi Brown was a clear reach. He was a first round talent and the second best tackle on the board, but it was one of those situations were the difference between Joe Thomas (among the greatest football players ever) and Brown was chasmic.

The real pick should have been Darelle Revis if we are following the approach I am talking about. While Peterson was a great RB, Revis was a great CB and having a great CB is more important than having a great RB.
And Keim’s problem wasn’t so much that he kept taking off ball linebackers but that he kept taking bad ones. When was our defense flying around making plays? When we had the Washington/dansby combo. Identify the right the right talent, regardless of position, and it tends to pay dividends.
But this is missing the point I am making. I'd rather have bad LBs than bad WRs. I wanted Ceedee Lamb with the pick that the Cardinals used on Simmons. WR wasn't a huge need, but it was obviously going to be soon based on caponomics.

Keim didn't just take one ILB with premium picks...he kept making the same dumb decision over and over. Kevin Minter. Deone Bucannon. Simmons. Collins. All of that premium draft capital used on positions that rarely make splash plays..even the best don't make splash plays like the premium positions do.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
It's not just about "good players", it's about good players and relative impact on a football game.

A B+ WR has a much larger impact on a football game than an A NT. This is math and analytics here. It's not exactly arcane.

Sweat is not a NT. He will be a DT that plays 60-70% of snaps like Dexter Lawrence and Vita Vea.

Nobody seems to think DT is important until we have the worst run defense in the league and can't pressure the QB up the middle. Then suddenly, in season, it's really important.

Fitz4Ever

Veteran
Reaction score
I loved Legette this year, but he's just so risky.
I dont think he's risky if he's taken in the 2nd round or later. As long as he interviews well and seems like he has a good head on his shoulders...those physical tools...4.3 speed at 6'1 230lbs almost make it certain he can contribute. He may not be a superstar...but as a WR/KR/PR....he adds a lot of value and would be an upgrade to our WR room for sure.

If we dont get MHJ or one of the top 3 guys early...I'm all about doubling up on WR in the 2-3rd round range and getting Troy Franklin and Legette.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
I dont think he's risky if he's taken in the 2nd round or later. As long as he interviews well and seems like he has a good head on his shoulders...those physical tools...4.3 speed at 6'1 230lbs almost make it certain he can contribute. He may not be a superstar...but as a WR/KR/PR....he adds a lot of value and would be an upgrade to our WR room for sure.

If we dont get MHJ or one of the top 3 guys early...I'm all about doubling up on WR in the 2-3rd round range and getting Troy Franklin and Legette.
I follow SC's program and Legette was a nothing burger for four years. He attributes his climb to finally working hard.

I get that WR is a desert for the Cardinals, but the Cardinals have a ton of needs.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Shenault vibes for me
Eh they aren't that similar. Leggette is also a lot more productive (in one season) than Shenault was. Shenault could never stay healthy either.

Size and shape are similar.

My issue with Leggette is that there are a lot of guys clumped together, so I'm not going to risk a high pick on a guy who was finally productive in year five. I'd take Franklin over him and probably even Polk.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Eh they aren't that similar. Leggette is also a lot more productive (in one season) than Shenault was. Shenault could never stay healthy either.

Size and shape are similar.

My issue with Leggette is that there are a lot of guys clumped together, so I'm not going to risk a high pick on a guy who was finally productive in year five. I'd take Franklin over him and probably even Polk.

Franklin, Polk, Worthy, McConkey, Adonai Mitchell, Roman Wilson, Javon Baker and Tez Walker are all better players for me. Probably Ricky Pearsall and Corley too.

But what do I know? He might be Anquan Boldin.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stbmd