2024 1st round pick #27 is Darius Robinson Edge

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Meh.

I was sat there thinking it's got to be Johnny Newton. Coming out of round 1 with MHJ and Newton would be legit.

If not Newton then CB. Robinson would have been 4th or 5th on my list. Maybe more. Robinson had a great senior bowl but I was less enamored with his game film but that might be the way Missouri used him and lack of help.

Proof is in the pudding as always but not a fan with what else was on the board.

I hope we get Newton at #35, he should still be there as I think Bills take Mitchell and Pats take Suamataia or McConkey.

I think they drafted him as an Edge, that's where he looked great at the Senior Bowl. Will slim him down a bit and get him to 270 ish I would imagine.

Last edited:

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
About a week ago, I heard Kiper raving about Robinson’s pro day and said he’s definitely going in round 1 after that.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
I think a lot of you are forgetting Gannon's system. Eagles played with a rush DT at DE opposite Reddick that slides inside on passing downs. This guy is perfect for that role.

I would have gone CB, but obviously that is why I'm not a GM. Two of the top CBs are still available
And we already have the player who (we hope) is in the Reddick mold. Great point here on Gannon's system.

SoonerLou

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
With Dallas Turner falling Monti had a real chance to move up and get him.

I kinda think we could have got a player just as productive as Robinson in the 3rd round.

Also think he would have been there at 35.

Hoping for the best though.

Last edited:

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
This is a hard pick to evaluate. As Jimmy Dean would say, this is a big, big man. He can play inside or out, but most likely he typically plays DE. The good news is he willingly plays the run and the pass. Run-wise I think he’s mostly sound, but he will need to improve his tackling facing NFL runners. There is also a legitimate concern about play recognition. I don’t expect him to be a major impact factor against the pass, especially in year one. He just lacks technique. I think he’s likely very coachable and will improve with time. Like many transitioning college players, what worked in college doesn’t translate into NFL success. I don’t think this is a bad pick. I’d just have rather moved up to get Verse if you wanted a lockdown DE. This pick does reflect Gannon’s preference that the D-line be good enough to limit blitzing. Robinson could become that player. I just don’t think he’s there yet.

Bkbobo

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
With his size and versatility, he would good as a DE on short and goal line situations. Adding beef without giving up a lot of speed.

Just a thought.

THESMEL

Smushdown! Take it like a fan!
Reaction score
Graded at 89.5 on cbs, highest level starter without all pro 90. Pretty good at 27, I think he starts and plays well, Curious to see what Paris Johnson says about him.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not sure the upside is there as an edge.

Yeah I watched something online that said lots of NFL teams actually want to move him back inside to DT they think that's where he'll be best. But apparently he was one of the fast risers in the draft

OP
OP
BullheadCardFan

BullheadCardFan

Go for it
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Darius Robinson

6'5"285 lbs Missouri
5 POS RK
30 OVR RK
88 GRADE

Pre-Draft Analysis

Robinson didn't run well for a defensive end prospect at the combine (4.95 in the 40-yard dash). He lined up at defensive tackle earlier in his career but primarily played on the outside in 2023 -- and the tape is impressive. He is a natural and instinctive pass-rusher who can get to the quarterback in a number of ways. He's a polished and active hand fighter who makes it difficult to lock on, and he can counter when he doesn't win with his first move. His length and explosive power make Robinson a problem for interior offensive linemen when he kicks inside. And he's a physical and tough run-defender with the strength to set a hard edge and the long arms to stack blockers. -- Steve Muench

Matt Miller's pro comp: Keion White

Post-Draft Analysis

Robinson is exactly what the Cardinals needed on the defensive line. The 290-pounder has inside-outside experience and will join an Arizona defensive line that added three veterans in free agency but has few long-term answers upfront. Robinson can be a defensive end on rush downs but his best position might be lining up between the guard and tackle as a pass-rusher. The Cardinals need all the help on the defensive line, and Robinson has big-time ability. -- Miller

Overall value: Perfect range. Illinois defensive tackle Jer'Zhan Newton would have been a good pick here but Robinson is the best available EDGE and the 30th overall player on the board. -- Muench

More from Josh Weinfuss: Analysis of every Cardinals pick

OP
OP
BullheadCardFan

BullheadCardFan

Go for it
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Round 1, No. 27 (from Houston Texans): Darius Robinson, EDGE, Missouri

My take: Arizona needed help getting to the quarterback and Robinson will contribute to that. The Cardinals are coming off a season with just 33 sacks, their fewest since 2010, so addressing their pass rush was a priority heading into the draft. Robinson can play inside and outside, giving him enough versatility to stay on the field for all three downs (coach Jonathan Gannon raved about this after drafting him), but he'll likely play inside for Arizona. He's still raw in some ways, such as with his moves, but with how much emphasis the Cardinals have put on the defensive front this season, Robinson could come in and start while also having a chance to learn from a deep defensive line room.

Key stat: When Robinson moved to edge rusher for his last season at Missouri, he doubled his pressure rate from 6% to 13%, which was the sixth-best in the SEC, according to ESPN Stats and Information. He finished with 8.5 sacks and 35 pressures, each the fourth-most in the SEC last season.

Is this pick for depth or does it fill a hole?: Both. After re-signing defensive lineman L.J. Collier, the Cardinals signed three more defensive linemen in free agency. Adding Robinson gives them more depth up front but also addresses a need at pass-rusher.

What's next: Arizona still needs to address cornerback and offensive line, but general manager Monti Ossenfort expects to hear from a number of teams who want to move up to the top of the second round on Friday. With the likes of cornerback Cooper DeJean, linebacker Edgerrin Cooper, wide receiver Keon Coleman, cornerback Kool-Aid McKinstry and wide receiver Adonai Mitchell still on the board, at least a few will be available when Arizona goes on the clock.

Lomax to Green 84

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Robinson is that “first off the bus” dude that just looks like a beast. I watched a number of Mizzou games and he just absolutely looks the part of an NFL lineman. The wingspan is just crazy. Mizzou has a proud history of producing productive, NFL ready defensive linemen. This guy is the next.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Booger McFarland mentioned that he has the strongest hands he's ever seen. Said that is why at his size he can overpower much larger lineman. He's only going to get stronger with that frame...

Yet you don’t see him tossing guys on film.

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you look at his size he and Dante Stills are practically clones. Stills is 6'4" and 286. Stills mostly played on the interior last season.

I do think Robinson will initially more of a run stuffing DE, but it seems Gannon is building a Dline where the players are versatile and play inside and out as needed.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I think he’s a good player. I just hesitate in saying he’s a very good to great player. And that’s what I was hoping for with this pick. Guess we’ll see.

He’s not twitchy or explosive. They even mentioned it on the telecast and that’s the first thing I look at especially in the first round for defensive guys