2023 Phoenix Suns Offseason

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
A Celtics fan run site thinks the swap is ridiculous. It'd definitely be too good to be true for the Suns. I don't see why the Celtics would swap the 2. They're loaded at PG already with Smart, White, and Brogdan. I think Brogdan for Paul seems for realistic, and a gamble I'd take, but it doesn't make sense for Boston, at all.

I think Chris Broussard was for the trade too. I’m liking the media in this case, pushing for something in our favor for once which is a huge surprise.

The thing is teams know Paul is looking to be waived, so why trade for him? Maybe to get rid of a longer term contract they don’t want?

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I think Chris Broussard was for the trade too. I’m liking the media in this case, pushing for something in our favor for once which is a huge surprise.

The thing is teams know Paul is looking to be waived, so why trade for him? Maybe to get rid of a longer term contract they don’t want?

I think the media is rather late to pick up on when a "star" is no longer a star.

I agree that the suggestion isn't realistic. Unless Boston is sick of Smart's act, it makes very little sense. Even if they are looking to clear up their long term cap projection (which is pretty ugly), you'd think they could send him somewhere for expirings and a pick or 2.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
From Sportrac: "Damian Lillard signed a 4 year / $176,265,152 contract with the Portland Trail Blazers, including $176,265,152 guaranteed, and an annual average salary of $44,066,288. In 2023-24, Lillard will earn a base salary of $45,640,084, while carrying a cap hit of $45,640,084 and a dead cap value of $45,640,084". We can't afford CP3. How do we take on Lillard's contract?

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
From Sportrac: "Damian Lillard signed a 4 year / $176,265,152 contract with the Portland Trail Blazers, including $176,265,152 guaranteed, and an annual average salary of $44,066,288. In 2023-24, Lillard will earn a base salary of $45,640,084, while carrying a cap hit of $45,640,084 and a dead cap value of $45,640,084". We can't afford CP3. How do we take on Lillard's contract?

We can't. This is a pipe dream that I am sure our front office isn't even pretending they can do. IMO the original tweet was click bait.

Even if we COULD take on his salary we have absolutely nothing the Blazers would remotely entertain to trade to them... unless we are sending them Booker.

This would fall under the category of "opportunity cost" of the Durant trade, we have no realistic way to go after any stars that become available for the next few years.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
We would find a way for Dame. But it's not going to happen, he basically said he's not interested in being traded again last night.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The media is having a lot of fun with the Suns getting all these great trades that are usually only reserved for Lakers fandom.

It would be nice if some of them materialized.

Waysouth

Veteran
Reaction score
I keep saying CP3 to LA makes too much sense for everyone involved. Don't know what pieces we could get back in return.
If Lakers exercise their team option on Beasley, I would take him and Vanderbilt for Paul. Then use the exemptions for fill in gaps.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The media is having a lot of fun with the Suns getting all these great trades that are usually only reserved for Lakers fandom.

It would be nice if some of them materialized.
Yeah it really shows how having two superstars on the same team changes the media coverage.

It's kind of crazy.

Here is a whole segment on how James Harden is going to join us after we waive CP3 What?
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah it really shows how having two superstars on the same team changes the media coverage.

It's kind of crazy.

Here is a whole segment on how James Harden is going to join us after we waive CP3 What?
It's funny how this once small market team is part of the National attention right now. It's a good thing IMO if that allows us to keep attracting players to play with Book.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not buying what anyone is selling.
When I see a MFer in a Suns uniform then I'll listen.
I am with you. The media has every damn player in the world coming to the Suns. It's actually hilarious. Most of these stories don't even address how some of these would be possible with the Suns cap situation. They are just throwing noodles at the wall.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Cowherd is saying the Suns should trade Paul for Marcus Smart. I actually think that would be a good move. A really tough nosed defensive pg who is young and healthy would be a great fit with KD and Book. Then we keep Ayton and let Vogel develop him. There is a chance Vogel can do it (very small, I admit).

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Cowherd is saying the Suns should trade Paul for Marcus Smart. I actually think that would be a good move. A really tough nosed defensive pg who is young and healthy would be a great fit with KD and Book. Then we keep Ayton and let Vogel develop him. There is a chance Vogel can do it (very small, I admit).

If Cowherd has the authority, please tell him to get it done.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Ayton is who he is. We need to move on and quit hoping he'll develop. He's been in the league 5 years now and he's getting worse. Blame Monty, blame JJ, blame Mark Bryant, whoever. He's never going to be worth his salary. Let some other team try and rehab him.

The Smart deal isn't happening.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
The Lillard one is more unbelievable to me. He makes like $14 million MORE than CP3 a year! How are we supposed to make that work? :shrug:

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I wish the media would switch to proposing all these humongous trades for the Lakers.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Mark Bryant may follow Monty to Detroit. It makes me wonder if a new coach might help Ayton.

Jarrett Jack could possibly be another casualty.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose