2023 Phoenix Suns Offseason

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Suns can spread out Chris Paul's remaining guaranteed contract over 5 years or about $3 million a season.

Not if they want to resign him. However I wonder if he signs elsewhere if that would be an option. I believe the plan is to sign him for cheap. Using the MLE on him makes no sense because we're waiving him to get to the larger MLE. If we just turn around and sign Paul with it then James Jones a moron and Ishbia is too for allowing it to happen. That would be a Sarver move to save a little cash, not make us better.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It does sound like Paul can't play for the Suns if waived. I thought there might be a rule to that effect.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not if they want to resign him. However I wonder if he signs elsewhere if that would be an option. I believe the plan is to sign him for cheap. Using the MLE on him makes no sense because we're waiving him to get to the larger MLE. If we just turn around and sign Paul with it then James Jones a moron and Ishbia is too for allowing it to happen. That would be a Sarver move to save a little cash, not make us better.

It sounds like it's not an option per Gambo's tweet but there could be exceptions if he signs with another team.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The same here. I doubt this is going to happen when another team can sign him for a much lower salary.
How does this work? Can some team just take his contract on like in the NFL?

There is an outside chance a team like Houston might do something like that.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Chris Paul plans to keep playing and help a team contend for a championship.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
How does this work? Can some team just take his contract on like in the NFL?

There is an outside chance a team like Houston might do something like that.

Yes. I think a team can sign Chris Paul if they pick him up off waivers but they would have to pay him his full salary.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
No one is going to claim him. With the new league year not having started I don’t know if anyone even has 30 million in cap space.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think what he is saying is it's not possible if we stretch the contract. If we take the whole 15 million hit this year I think we can resign him to the minimum.

I'm not clear on the CBA rules in regard to this.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
No one is going to claim him. With the new league year not having started I don’t know if anyone even has 30 million in cap space.
I don't think they have to have 30 million in space - pretty sure it's only the 15 that counts - but actually yes a few team do have 30 million in space.

San Antonio and Houston are the only 2 that I could see even considering it.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is what the media is saying, that Chris Paul is eligible to re-sign with the Suns on a different contract.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I would just as soon let him go. He won't be available in the playoffs anyway, he never is anymore.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I would just as soon let him go. He won't be available in the playoffs anyway, he never is anymore.

If we could use him like Miami uses Lowry, that would be great. He primarily comes off the bench and, situationally, plays in crunch time.

I don't know that he would accept that kind of role though.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Bottom line, the Suns and Chris Paul will explore options.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
So just heard Windhorst clip, sounds like he thinks we are taking the 15million hit and resigning him.

I guess this is ok if we get an extra exception or two to use through this move. That is unclear to me.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
If we waive and don’t stretch there is a very good chance he resigns.
IDK Lakers cap situation, but CP3 lives by LeBron, and just for family time, if I was CP3 I would sign with LA. You have to wonder if CP3 thinks LA or PHX is his better option ring wise.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
IDK Lakers cap situation, but CP3 lives by LeBron, and just for family time, if I was CP3 I would sign with LA. You have to wonder if CP3 thinks LA or PHX is his better option ring wise.
Lakers cant sign him for more than the minimum - which is possible I guess.

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Suns are going to resign him. Sounds like its been in the works the past week to see if it was feasible. Windy didn't want to give it all away this past Monday.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
Suns are going to resign him. Sounds like its been in the works the past week to see if it was feasible. Windy didn't want to give it all away this past Monday.
I could have sworn in that clip Windy was directly asked about the waive and sign option and he indicated no. Said, there's another way.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So just heard Windhorst clip, sounds like he thinks we are taking the 15million hit and resigning him.

I guess this is ok if we get an extra exception or two to use through this move. That is unclear to me.

It could be all about timing and maximizing the MLE.

Vacard

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
So what’s the plan? Who will be our point guard? Van Fleet?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose