2023 Phoenix Suns Offseason

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So that's the thing. Minor chance someone picks up $30 million on waivers, but stranger things have happened, and if Paul wants to come back here, would he open himself up to having to play where he may not want to? Also, there's the other risk, we waive him, no one bites, he's essentially a free agent, and can sign with anyone at that point, opening us up to the possibility he just walks and we get nothing in return.

Another team picking up Chris Paul's contract might be the best case scenario. It would give the Suns extra money to spend.

This may be why the Suns are waiving him early.

Folster

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
So that's the thing. Minor chance someone picks up $30 million on waivers, but stranger things have happened, and if Paul wants to come back here, would he open himself up to having to play where he may not want to? Also, there's the other risk, we waive him, no one bites, he's essentially a free agent, and can sign with anyone at that point, opening us up to the possibility he just walks and we get nothing in return.

We weren't getting anything in return for him. I'm sure JJ explored those avenues. He has value, but not enough for any team to take on 30M.

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
Another team picking up Chris Paul's contract might be the best case scenario. It would give the Suns extra money to spend.

This may be why the Suns are waiving him early.
That would be ideal Akin to a 2-year 60 mil with 30 of it guaranteed. I think CP3 is still worth that tbh

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There is still the possibility the Suns could sign Paul to a smaller contract if he clears waivers.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
If he clears waivers we can resign him. This was not a negotiated buyout. We waived him per the terms of the contract. It's doubtful anyone will want to assume his contract so it's really up to CP3 and whether we want him back. We'd have to sign him with cap space, an exception, or minimum contract. We no longer have his Bird rights. His 15 million is guaranteed. Any new contract would be added to that.

If we stretch his contract, then we would be prohibited from signing him for the duration of his stretched contact.

So we would be paying him twice. We still owe him his 15 million and now we’re using up cap space we don’t have to pay him even more, I get that right?

Wtf

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That would be ideal Akin to a 2-year 60 mil with 30 of it guaranteed. I think CP3 is still worth that tbh

Although I doubt any team would pay Paul's final season if he is picked up off waivers.

Folster

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
So we would be paying him twice. We still owe him his 15 million and now we’re using up cap space we don’t have to pay him even more, I get that right?

Wtf

15M+ vet min is less than the 30M he is set to make if we kept him.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
We weren't getting anything in return for him. I'm sure JJ explored those avenues. He has value, but not enough for any team to take on 30M.
I am not so sure. It's a lot of money for us even. But he has some value for us. In the case of he's still an above average guy, even undependable health wise. Also, it seems, unless this is a smoke screen, that all the insiders that cover the Suns seem to think we are picking up that full contract. FWIW, either Booker and KD want him here, or there's and angle that I think it was Windhorst kept hinting at, but wouldn't say.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am not so sure. It's a lot of money for us even. But he has some value for us. In the case of he's still an above average guy, even undependable health wise. Also, it seems, unless this is a smoke screen, that all the insiders that cover the Suns seem to think we are picking up that full contract. FWIW, either Booker and KD want him here, or there's and angle that I think it was Windhorst kept hinting at, but wouldn't say.

If Chris Paul becomes an unrestricted free agent, he could theoretically allow the Suns to make other signings before agreeing to a new contract.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Qualifying Offer: $6,205,035

I don't think the Suns are going to do that. Torrey Craig is another option. Also, Cam Payne's contract is not fully guaranteed.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If Chris Paul becomes an unrestricted free agent, he could theoretically allow the Suns to make other signings before agreeing to a new contract.

I could see Paul signing for the BiAnnual Exception here if we can shed the salary to make that an option. That should be available to the Suns.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
I don't think the Suns are going to do that. Torrey Craig is another option. Also, Cam Payne's contract is not fully guaranteed.
The only way I see them doing options, is if they want Craig, he's a decent piece and could fit the Vogel defense play. Or we are already short PGs, do we actually let Cam Payne walk?

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I could see Paul signing for the BiAnnual Exception here if we can shed the salary to make that an option. That should be available to the Suns.

This is option but I think the Biannual Exeption is available only every other season.

I think the Suns could also break up the MLE.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The only way I see them doing options, is if they want Craig, he's a decent piece and could fit the Vogel defense play. Or we are already short PGs, do we actually let Cam Payne walk?

I'm only looking at how the Suns could get under the luxury tax, not necessarily who they would waive or renounce holds.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
I'm only looking at how the Suns could get under the luxury tax, not necessarily who they would waive or renounce holds.
I know. Renounce holds is what I mean by options. I think we may hold some of these guys just because replacing them might not necessarily be cheaper, or better.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
I would still pursue Brook Lopez first of anyone. Even if forced to keep Ayton, I could see Book, DA, Lopez, Ayton, and a big guard ball handler on the floor in the last 5 minutes of a game.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I know. Renounce holds is what I mean by options. I think we may hold some of these guys just because replacing them might not necessarily be cheaper, or better.

The Suns will probably try to keep lower priced players like Biz and Jock Landale.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
I have been watching a lot of podcasts while job searching, and a lot of the podcasts noted how Dallas would get us to switch to get Paul on Luka. They went through a lot of switches where guys wanted to take advantage of Paul on defense. I think the Suns could see that as well.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Suns can spread out Chris Paul's remaining guaranteed contract over 5 years or about $3 million a season.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Is that after clearing waivers? I think that's what I remember reading.

Yes, that would be after clearing waivers. If another team claims Paul off waivers, they would owe him about $30 million and the Suns would owe him nothing as I understand it.