2023 NBA Playoffs - Other Teams

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's amazing to me when a play is challenged by a team, the referees are not allowed to rule on the entire play.

IMO, Jaylen Brown committed a foul to make the basket so it should not count.

A player can score all day if they are allowed to hook an opponent.
I don't know how you fix the refereeing and the review process. Besides the fact that no matter how good they are, a referee is going to simply miss a call now and then but there's just so many bigger problems with today's officiating. The review process, the rules, the inconsistent application of the rules along with the blatant disregard of the rules puts into question the concept of fair play and true competition.

If you went back and watched that whole game with a critical eye, you could easily call Miami for another 50 fouls or violations. And you could easily call that many just on Marcus Smart. Some players can sort of hook and get called for it, others can hook as pictured and nothing is called. It's insane.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't know how you fix the refereeing and the review process. Besides the fact that no matter how good they are, a referee is going to simply miss a call now and then but there's just so many bigger problems with today's officiating. The review process, the rules, the inconsistent application of the rules along with the blatant disregard of the rules puts into question the concept of fair play and true competition.

If you went back and watched that whole game with a critical eye, you could easily call Miami for another 50 fouls or violations. And you could easily call that many just on Marcus Smart. Some players can sort of hook and get called for it, others can hook as pictured and nothing is called. It's insane.

I agree, the referees miss a lot of calls during the game, but I don't think it's asking too much to get the ones right the coaches ask for in a challenge. It's hard for me to understand why the rules prohibit the review of the entire play in question, not just part of it.

I understand there has to be a limit to the challenge but counting a basket on a clear foul seems just flat wrong. Yes, there may be unforeseen consequences.

I'm glad they are considering giving a replacement challenge if a coach gets it right.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don’t know how that was not a double dribble.

I think they're saying he lost the ball so then he's allowed to recover it. I certainly wouldn't have complained if they'd called a violation but I was ok with it not being called too.

I laughed earlier in the game when they FINALLY called carrying on Tatum who had a puzzled look on his face and then Van Gundy said and that's it they won't call it again on him. Miami, just like the Warriors last year, have been screaming for that call the entire series because Tatum does it so often

swagron

All Star
Reaction score
NBA officiating and the non defensive soft level of play makes the NBA almost unwatchable now.

Reactions: TRW

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Tatum landed awkwardly on the left ankle after the shot.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Bad start for Miami, struggling to get any good looks and the ones they're getting they're not making. Turned a 3 on 1 into a wild off balance shot on one possession.

I am surprised that Spo hasn't gone to the zone more often, one of the keys to the series IMO is that Boston has such good rim protection but Miami doesn't because Bam is so often guarding someone away from the paint and he's the only size they have on the court with this lineup.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Butler seems to have gotten himself going a bit Miami in the lead now. Sounds like K Love is cleared to play today sure would be good if he can give them some solid minutes. He's not the post player he was at UCLA but he gives them a bit more size, Martin is doing a terrific job rebounding but they could use Love's help there when he's in

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Feels like Miami should have a much bigger lead as poorly as Boston shot in that quarter.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Heat came to play and are now up by 12. Again, the Heat are very active with their hands on defense. Everything is challenged.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Heat came to play and are now up by 12. Again, the Heat are very active with their hands on defense. Everything is challenged.

Highsmith with an immediate impact. Earlier in the year he guarded Tatum in a couple of games and held him to something like 2-14 from the floor. He's in before Love so that makes me suspect K Love might not play much tonight but Highsmith looks great.

And they've been in the zone 2 of the last 3 possessions and forced turnovers both times.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
Can Miami sustain this for 48 minutes? We all know this is going to be a long game! The pace both teams are playing at is a whole level above what the Suns were playing at. We need to get younger, longer, and more high motor as a team!

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If the game goes the way it started and Miami wins, Martin should be series MVP IMO.

He hit a 3 but Lowry seems determined to keep Boston in the game.

One would never guess, without knowing, that Caleb Martin averages less than 10 points a game in the regular season.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose