Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Bump!

Another Fan Base being destroyed by ownership ineptitude

AZ Native

Living is Easy with Eyes Closed
Reaction score
We are in 2nd place and only 1.5 games behind the Doyers. I'll take it. We have had a fairly tough schedule. Does Hazen have a brother/clone that could help with our Cardinals?

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
Does Hazen have a brother/clone that could help with our Cardinals?
Hazen is lucky to have a job after completely botching the Goldy/Greinke trades and putting all our meager resources in a Bum.

OP
OP
Dback Jon

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hazen is lucky to have a job after completely botching the Goldy/Greinke trades and putting all our meager resources in a Bum.

I wouldn't consider the Goldy trade to be a botch. Kendricks wasn't going to shell out the money to resign him, so Hazen had to get what he could.

Same really with the Greinke trade - a team like the Dodgers can keep Greinke. Kendricks was too cheap, so Hazen got what he could.

You can fault him for the MadBum signing.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
I wouldn't consider the Goldy trade to be a botch. Kendricks wasn't going to shell out the money to resign him, so Hazen had to get what he could.

Same really with the Greinke trade - a team like the Dodgers can keep Greinke. Kendricks was too cheap, so Hazen got what he could.

Jon - Goldy especially, but Greinke too were top tier assets. Do we really need to go over the respective "hauls" we got for each?

If you're going to go cheap and not keep your best players, you better be getting damn good talent in return.

OP
OP
Dback Jon

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Jon - Goldy especially, but Greinke too were top tier assets. Do we really need to go over the respective "hauls" we got for each?

If you're going to go cheap and not keep your best players, you better be getting damn good talent in return.
At the time, both set of prospects were considered good. But probably not top tier. But when you are doing a fire sale, sharks circle.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
At the time, both set of prospects were considered good. But probably not top tier. But when you are doing a fire sale, sharks circle.
Ok, so you're justifying the shambolic return for both Goldy and Greinke as being viewed as good at the time? Let's dig in:

Goldy for....Carson Kelly, Luke Weaver and Andrew Young

Carson Kelly - 60 day IL, bust

Weaver and Young need no explanation. So they traded Goldy for nothing.

Greinke for....Seth Beer, Corbin Martin, JB Bukauskas and Josh Rojas.

That's a grand total of one Josh Rojas (a utility player) for a perennial MVP candidate and a top tier starter.

Just a complete failure by any reasonable measure.

AZ Native

Living is Easy with Eyes Closed
Reaction score

Those were all about 4 years ago. Where are we now? We have a team that is competing with a lot of young talent that we developed. Even after bringing up the players we have, we still have the 3rd best farm in all of baseball.

The farm was in shambles when Hazen took over. We were going nowhere. Between KK being cheap and having very few prospects I can see him forcing the Goldy and Zack trades trying desperately to get some young talent but getting screwed on them. MadBum was and still is a disaster. We have recovered nicely though.

I mentioned the Cards because Keim has drafted so poorly and we have not developed the talent we had/have. Compare that to what the DBacks have done. The DBacks are light-years ahead of the Cards right now.

My comment on Hazen was looking at our current roster and farm. What mistakes were made in the past are just that, in the past. I'm looking at the future.