2023-24 Around the NBA Thread

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Was that because of the environment he was in? Where would Wiseman even be on our roster. A starter?

Poole played really well before last season but being embarrassed by Draymond in camp did him no favors. He seemed to have one foot out the door from that point and Kerr seemed to have less patience for him as well. I don't blame Washington for taking a chance on him. He could be a quality piece on a team but he's no more than a 3rd or 4th banana, IMO.

Wiseman likely would have been in a McGee role off the bench. Whether that would work is anyone's guess but I can't see him as a starter right now. He's still too raw to be a starter on a team with championship aspirations.

I also think Wiseman's development was handle poorly by Golden State. He should have been a steady fixture in their rotation during the season, seeing 20 minutes a night regularly. Give him a defined role and set spot where he can make some mistakes without fear of being yanked. If he plays well, let him stay out there a little longer. I know they were contenders but they could have played him a little more than they did.

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Poole is about as empty stat as you can get. He’s James Harden pretty much.

Ronin

…..
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Apparently I'm not the only one yelling at clouds.lol

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
I really like Wiseman. In fact I would have been ok with Ayton for Poole and Wiseman. I remember floating the idea last year. Then GS traded Wiseman away. Poole also flamed out as well.
I never knew why they were so down on him. The GS games I watched he looked pretty good.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I never knew why they were so down on him. The GS games I watched he looked pretty good.

I think Kerr has a problem coaching bigs. He really hasn't had any success with anyone other than Draymond. They've had some reasonably decent bigs in there but their role gets reduced to "Screen for Curry" and "Pass out to the shooters". He struggled with playing bigs in the FIBA World Cup also, and he had talent available.

Superbone

Phoenix native; Lifelong Suns Fan
Reaction score
I think Kerr has a problem coaching bigs. He really hasn't had any success with anyone other than Draymond. They've had some reasonably decent bigs in there but their role gets reduced to "Screen for Curry" and "Pass out to the shooters". He struggled with playing bigs in the FIBA World Cup also, and he had talent available.
All of this sounds very familiar with our own Ayton. Fans on other teams probably saying he looks pretty good too. And I’ve definitely heard people say Williams didn’t coach bigs very well.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
All of this sounds very familiar with our own Ayton. Fans on other teams probably saying he looks pretty good too. And I’ve definitely heard people say Williams didn’t coach bigs very well.

I get that but I seriously question Kerr's ability to coach bigs in general given his time in Golden State and how he handled the US Mens team. He had bigs on that team but didn't use them. He played extremely small.

It'll be interesting to see how Monty does with Wiseman, who I suspect will stick over Bagley. Monty had issues with Ayton but he seemed to get good production from all of Ayton's backups so I believe the issues were more between Ayton and Monty instead of Monty having issues with bigs.

Wiseman was raw entering the league and needed a longer leash than Golden State gave him so he could develop.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Wiseman has the heart of Ayton, the durability of Oden and the skill of Alex Len.

It's a bad setup.

If not for it being the Covid draft, I think teams would have sniffed him out. He's a bust, I don't expect him to ever amount to anything. There is nothing he does well, a lot of things he is terrible at.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
Wiseman has the heart of Ayton, the durability of Oden and the skill of Alex Len.

It's a bad setup.

If not for it being the Covid draft, I think teams would have sniffed him out. He's a bust, I don't expect him to ever amount to anything. There is nothing he does well, a lot of things he is terrible at.
Watched Len last year. He's a b/c level big. Someone you wouldn't mind as a back up big. He even had a brief minor splash in the playoffs. For a vet min 2-3 million deal if you were short on bigs, he would do. It seems he FINALLY fixed his dropping the ball problems.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Who? this has become stupid
He has some impressive skills (midrange and distance shooting) and some scary concerns (consistently loses the physical battles). It sure seems like a huge overpay right now but if Pop believes he'll add the strength he needs and improve his finishing skills, I don't think I'd bet against him.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Who? this has become stupid

Devin Vassel was one of the players I liked in the 2020 NBA draft after Haliburton, although he didn't particularly fill a need.

He is quite talented, although the Suns were seemingly looking at big men in that draft.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
Oof
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media
The coach is right though. Had they got the 1 seed and lost to Miami in the first round he would probably be fired. Losing to them in the conference finals doesn't have the same effect because Miami making it that far illustrates that they are clearly better than their seeding.

Last edited:

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
Devin Vassel was one of the players I liked in the 2020 NBA draft after Haliburton, although he didn't particularly fill a need.

He is quite talented, although the Suns were seemingly looking at big men in that draft.

At least the guy they took over Halliburton is a significant contributor in the league

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
At least the guy they took over Halliburton is a significant contributor in the league

If you are talking about Jalen Smith, apparently the Suns didn't feel that way.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I think I misinterpreted your previous post.

Yes, the Spurs found a player in Vassell who should have a nice NBA career.