2023-24 Around the NBA Thread

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
THe Porter story is just sad. I remember his recruitment out of HS it was so obvious the family was looking for a bag that most of the big schools backed off. He was in trouble his whole time at USC, got suspended more than once.

You just hoped getting into the NBA he'd realize the chance he had but sounds like the money just made him worse. Messed up situation sounds like they have enough evidence that he's in real trouble

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not sure he'll stick but Jordan Ford is currently on the Kings active roster, local kid from Folsom HS that nobody thought would be good enough but is currently on an NBA roster.

I remember him in HS we saw them play at Franklin HS, the coach at Franklin at the time was a family friend. He said Ford's good but he's not Pac 12 good, the best thing he could do is go to St Mary's and get good coaching. he did, and now he's in the NBA.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
So how do you explain that when Steph is on the court the Warriors had the best offense in basketball, and when he was off the court they had one of the worst offenses in basketball? The best lineup in the NBA last year was Draymond, Looney, Klay, Wiggins and Steph. That's not an opinion it's based on scoring margin when on the court. Love Looney and Draymond but a 5 with 2 non scorers was the best lineup in the NBA last year, almost entirely because of Steph. He's so good that defenses give up things to other players to try and stop him.

For his career he's at 6.5 APG, that's on a team that's based on ball movement so it's not set up for him to get lots of assists. If you tracked hockey assists he'd be at or near the lead every year because teams double him he hits Draymond who then hits the open shooter for a bucket.

Not as good as prime Magic I will agree but I think part of being a playmaker is making others better and frankly he does that as well as anybody else in the NBA right now because of the "gravity" that everyone talks about with him.

I agree. Curry is, at the least, a top 10 player. He's Steve Nash but selfish... and I mean that in a good way, Nash should have shot way more, and Curry ain't even actually selfish.

I am not trying to say that Klay is a bad player but Curry made Klay. Guy is going to enter the hall of fame as a 3 and D streak shooter who was left open for an insane amount of shots because teams were terrified of Curry shooting. Curry's "gravity" and Green's ability as a big man play-maker (arguably the best passing big of all time) has made Klay's life very easy.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I agree. Curry is, at the least, a top 10 player. He's Steve Nash but selfish... and I mean that in a good way, Nash should have shot way more, and Curry ain't even actually selfish.

I am not trying to say that Klay is a bad player but Curry made Klay. Guy is going to enter the hall of fame as a 3 and D streak shooter who was left open for an insane amount of shots because teams were terrified of Curry shooting. Curry's "gravity" and Green's ability as a big man play-maker (arguably the best passing big of all time) has made Klay's life very easy.

Pre Injury Klay was great, because he could also defend but yeah when you see a guy scoring all those points with less than 10 dribbles, in an entire game, you realize how many open shots or 1 dribble shots vintage Klay got. BEcause of the system but the system worked because of Steph.

I would add if the NBA ever got serious about moving screens the Warriors system would not have worked.

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
They work 7-8 months out of the year for millions of dollars. They're allowed sick time, basically. They just aren't allowed personal time. They're entertainers. I don't imagine movie stars are allowed to skip premieres or press junkets they signed up for because they have another job starting soon that pays more and want to be well rested for that.

I don't see the issue with fining teams for resting guys. I don't get a discount on League Pass or Tickets because Giannis didn't dress for the Suns/Bucks games. Those are the games I look forward to the most, against other stars. So if fining dissuades that from happening, cool.

I’m not talking sick time specifically but maybe a pool of hours teams can use for load management that they can’t exceed. When they go over they get fined.

I don’t know how to solve this because now who’s to say that teams can’t play a guy for a few minutes a game. Who’s to say that someone isn’t actually injured? This gets other doctors involved which brings up hipaa.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’m not talking sick time specifically but maybe a pool of hours teams can use for load management that they can’t exceed. When they go over they get fined.

I don’t know how to solve this because now who’s to say that teams can’t play a guy for a few minutes a game. Who’s to say that someone isn’t actually injured? This gets other doctors involved which brings up hipaa.
I don't think NBA stars would sit still for playing just a few minutes, it destroys their per game stats. As for injuries, they are well documented and easily verified by the league. But as mainstreet mentioned, almost all players have some kind of ailment that could be used to justify a night off. The league is just putting it out there that they will go after any organization abusing this.

leclerc

The smooth operator
Reaction score
I'm actually all for the Warriors winning it with CP3 if we get bounced. Curry is smug and Draymond is, well I don't really care about him, and Klay's not that bad of a dude. He has rings on four fingers. So, if we don't win it, I'm rooting for the Warriors over at least the Bucks and the Lakers (LOL, as if they will have a chance this year). Lots of love for the point god still!

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm actually all for the Warriors winning it with CP3 if we get bounced. Curry is smug and Draymond is, well I don't really care about him, and Klay's not that bad of a dude. He has rings on four fingers. So, if we don't win it, I'm rooting for the Warriors over at least the Bucks and the Lakers (LOL, as if they will have a chance this year). Lots of love for the point god still!
I want the Suns to win it all. If the Suns fall short, I do not want LAL, Memphis or Boston to win the title. Beyond that, I don't have very strong feelings but I woule prefer someone new or GS. I love watching Curry play. And despite the recent Kerr can't coach sentiments, I'm a huge fan of him as a person, player and coach.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
So how do you explain that when Steph is on the court the Warriors had the best offense in basketball, and when he was off the court they had one of the worst offenses in basketball? The best lineup in the NBA last year was Draymond, Looney, Klay, Wiggins and Steph. That's not an opinion it's based on scoring margin when on the court. Love Looney and Draymond but a 5 with 2 non scorers was the best lineup in the NBA last year, almost entirely because of Steph. He's so good that defenses give up things to other players to try and stop him.

For his career he's at 6.5 APG, that's on a team that's based on ball movement so it's not set up for him to get lots of assists. If you tracked hockey assists he'd be at or near the lead every year because teams double him he hits Draymond who then hits the open shooter for a bucket.

Not as good as prime Magic I will agree but I think part of being a playmaker is making others better and frankly he does that as well as anybody else in the NBA right now because of the "gravity" that everyone talks about with him.

They outscore their opponents because Curry is the greatest shooter of all time. I'm not knocking his game, he's an amazing player but he doesn't produce for his teammates like a traditional PG does. He falls more in the MJ, Lebron, KD camp where he produces for them by finding them when they're open and he can't get a good look,. Like you said, his gravity opens things up more than anything.

You watch him much more than I do so I will trust your judgement but there's so few players like that I don't consider that play making in the traditional sense. I still believe he's a top 10 player of all time but he's not the #1 PG ever. He won't eclipse Magic, IMO.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Seriously though, what is the NBA going to do about it after letting Bridges off the hook? It's a bad look either way. If they throw the book at Porter, then they are basically as much as admitting they only take it seriously when it's not a star player. I'm not sure that qualifies as any less horrible than not doing anything at all.

Ideally it would have been included in this new CBA. Some sort of language that dictates a minimum of a 1 year ban and allows up to a lifetime ban based on the severity of the case. When players are choking out their spouses that's no longer Domestic Violence though, it's attempted murder.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What isn’t helping is players like Curry are admitting the team making him sit out games each year based on analytics. I am guessing it’s similar to analytics used in baseball that determines pitch counts and stuff like that.

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ideally it would have been included in this new CBA. Some sort of language that dictates a minimum of a 1 year ban and allows up to a lifetime ban based on the severity of the case. When players are choking out their spouses that's no longer Domestic Violence though, it's attempted murder.
Bridges shouldn't be allowed to play while on probation (which is a joke that he got it)

Porters seems far worse - should be a moot point on his playing because he should get 10-15 years

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Bridges shouldn't be allowed to play while on probation (which is a joke that he got it)

Porters seems far worse - should be a moot point on his playing because he should get 10-15 years

I agree that Bridges shouldn't be playing. I think the new ownership in Charlotte are setting a terrible precedent by bringing him back, even if it's on a qualifying offer. That's the first message they're sending to fans regarding what sort of players they want and what the culture of the team is. They should have severed all ties. Let him be someone else's problem.

He deserved longer than 30 games, which was the official suspension from the league. That was also less than Ja received for waiving around a gun like a moron. Ja wasn't pointing it at anyone or being violent towards anyone, just flaunting it to look "cool" and convey an image. No actual crime took place that I'm aware of. That's apparently worse than what Miles Bridges did though, which doesn't make any sense to me. The NBA, where you can send your spouse to the hospital so long as you don't brandish a firearm in a night club, you're good. The league needs to act and come down hard on KPJ because this is now becoming an image issue for the league and it seems to be escalating.

To be clear, I'm not excusing Ja's behavior. That discussion has come and past. I think he got off light and should have been out a year for his actions.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
As a reminder, the Suns don't have any exceptions to use other than the minimum exception since they are above the second tax apron.

The Warriors, Clippers and Heat are also in this category.

From Hoops Rumors:

Beginning this offseason, the NBA added a second tax “apron” and introduced new restrictions for the teams whose salaries exceed that apron. In 2023/24, the second apron is set at $182,794,000 ($17.5MM above the tax line) — it will increase along with the cap in future years.

In addition to being prohibited from using the standard mid-level exception and the bi-annual exception, teams whose salaries are above the second apron aren’t permitted to make use of the taxpayer mid-level exception, which is worth $5MM. The Warriors, Clippers, Heat, and Suns all fall into that group and therefore don’t have any cap exceptions available to use on free agents besides the minimum exception.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This would be scary.. sucks we don’t have the ammo to do this while keeping kd, beal and booker..
Yep. I can't see it happening either unless they somehow want to move guys including Ayton in a complicated trade around the time he wants to bolt from the Bucks maybe? Have no clue if that would even be possible. You can dream though. My guess is he ends up a Laker which is going to make me :barf:

Last edited:

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
This would be scary.. sucks we don’t have the ammo to do this while keeping kd, beal and booker..

I'd swap KD or Beal for Giannis tomorrow if Milwaukee would accept. I don't see them doing that even if Giannis asked for a trade. KD is much older and wouldn't make sense replacing Giannis in a rebuild.

Booker for Giannis wouldn't make sense for either team but if the Bucks wanted Booker for Giannis, I'd have a hard time saying no. I think an impartial GM would do that deal for the Suns though but I can't overlook history. I can't imagine a Bucks GM would be content with just Book and no extras either. I'd never send Book to a place like Milwaukee either, that's just cruel without Giannis there.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'd swap KD or Beal for Giannis tomorrow if Milwaukee would accept. I don't see them doing that even if Giannis asked for a trade. KD is much older and wouldn't make sense replacing Giannis in a rebuild.

Booker for Giannis wouldn't make sense for either team but if the Bucks wanted Booker for Giannis, I'd have a hard time saying no. I think an impartial GM would do that deal for the Suns though but I can't overlook history. I can't imagine a Bucks GM would be content with just Book and no extras either. I'd never send Book to a place like Milwaukee either, that's just cruel without Giannis there.

A huge problem for the Suns in a hypothetical trade for Giannis is that they don't have the draft picks to attach to Beal or Durant to make it attractive.

Deandre Ayton's trade value would have to explode this season to give the Suns enough assets to attach to Beal or Durant in a trade.

I'm not going anywhere near trading Booker.

Superbone

Phoenix native; Lifelong Suns Fan
Supporting Member
Reaction score
A huge problem for the Suns in a hypothetical trade for Giannis is that they don't have the draft picks to attach to Beal or Durant to make it attractive.

Deandre Ayton's trade value would have to explode this season to give the Suns enough assets to attach to Beal or Durant in a trade.

I'm not going anywhere near trading Booker.
Agreed. Booker has been nothing buy loyal to the Suns unlike what Giannis is saying here. We better not do him dirty like that.