2022-23 Around the NBA Thread

Muggz

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
It's easy to look back in hindsight. Now he's on Utah and they NEED him to have big numbers. When he started his career he was not anywhere near the player he is now. That's the thing in the NBA, you don't know which guys are going to take it to that next level. Markkanen has ramped up his aggression tenfold. This is what Ayton COULD become if he ever got aggressive like Markkanen. That, and he needs better handles like Markkanen!!
We still need a competent big man coach. Someone who ONLY works with DA and Giannis and KD when we get them.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Gorgui Dieng and Noah Vonleh have cleared waivers.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
We still need a competent big man coach. Someone who ONLY works with DA and Giannis and KD when we get them.
I know Mark Bryant is a legend in Phoenix, but DA is not progressing. I think we are "stuck" with him as coach. We need a new guy with different techniques to give it a shot. It's been 4 years and he's hit a plateau. I know from Monty's comments he thinks it's just effort. It's not. DA can't create space effectively. He can't hold onto the ball. He also cannot go out to meet the ball, and then dribble to his spots to take shots. These are all things the centers ahead of him in the league now, can do! We can see it. Why can't they?

Superbone

Phoenix native; Lifelong Suns Fan
Reaction score
I know Mark Bryant is a legend in Phoenix, but DA is not progressing. I think we are "stuck" with him as coach. We need a new guy with different techniques to give it a shot. It's been 4 years and he's hit a plateau. I know from Monty's comments he thinks it's just effort. It's not. DA can't create space effectively. He can't hold onto the ball. He also cannot go out to meet the ball, and then dribble to his spots to take shots. These are all things the centers ahead of him in the league now, can do! We can see it. Why can't they?
You can't insert heart into a player. Nobody can.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Realistically name me those centers that can go get the ball and dribble to there spot and get a shot off.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
You are right on every point. Remember last year when some guy was all excited about Ayton learning to make one dribble? Lol. Yeesh.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Uh… when did Mark Bryant become a legend? I want assume that’s sarcasm but who knows with the way some current/former Suns are overrated on this board.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
Realistically name me those centers that can go get the ball and dribble to there spot and get a shot off.
Two right off the top are Embid and Jokic, and we may even consider the Greek Freak to really be a 5, and he does it all the time.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Durant hurt his knee tonight. It's like he is trying to signal that he belongs on this roster.
This is funny. The other funny thing is I don't think I could stand going through another will he won't he situation. That entire situation was horrid.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Kevin Durant is diagnosed with the same injury that sidelined him the season before. They are now saying they will re-evaluate him in two weeks but if it's just as bad as last time? Oh boy!

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Last edited:

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
Such a battle. Only game the Sixers won in the Finals that year. AI was on fire. Love Shaq's smooth assists, too.
Shaq’s passing is why I don’t believe the he-wouldn’t-be-dominant-today crowd. With the shooters and space today he’d rack up assists like crazy once they bring the double team.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Shaq’s passing is why I don’t believe the he-wouldn’t-be-dominant-today crowd. With the shooters and space today he’d rack up assists like crazy once they bring the double team.
Of course he'd dominate today, even with the modern rules. I can't see how anyone could argue otherwise. He'd have had to change his style a bit just like Barkley would have had to but he'd have still been dominant. He beefed up in LA for the bully ball style and would probably have been better off staying leaner for today's game but either way, he'd instantly be the best center in the game.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Shaq was so dominant the game would have to adjust to him.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Happy to admit I was wrong if KD’s out for a while again and that we dodged a bullet mortgaging the team for him.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Happy to admit I was wrong if KD’s out for a while again and that we dodged a bullet mortgaging the team for him.

The degree to which Paul has declined would have likely made that trade a disaster on it's own. Booker, KD, Paul and a bunch of bench guys was an iffy contender with a 2 year window in the best of circumstances.

If Durant missed half the year, Booker missed half the year, Paul is the guy we've seen so far this year... yikes. In year one we'd probably be giving up a top 10 pick.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The degree to which Paul has declined would have likely made that trade a disaster on it's own. Booker, KD, Paul and a bunch of bench guys was an iffy contender with a 2 year window in the best of circumstances.

If Durant missed half the year, Booker missed half the year, Paul is the guy we've seen so far this year... yikes. In year one we'd probably be giving up a top 10 pick.
So you’re saying a subtle tank for Wemby and titles the next two years!

I’m honestly at a loss with what can even be done with this team at this point. CP3 is at best a 5th option offensive caretaker at this point… when healthy. And Ayton and Bridges compkete and utter failure to step up in year 5 of their careers makes me question the foundation of this team moving forward.

Book is still a superstar, but he’s not a Giannis level superstar and his mounting soft tissue injuries are starting to become a concern moving forward. And without Ayton or Bridges being able to make any kind of demonstrable leap, it’s obvious to ever compete at a title level, we need to pair Book with another superstar… and prob one better than him. Question is… how the hell do they get that guy?

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
So you’re saying a subtle tank for Wemby and titles the next two years!

I’m honestly at a loss with what can even be done with this team at this point. CP3 is at best a 5th option offensive caretaker at this point… when healthy. And Ayton and Bridges compkete and utter failure to step up in year 5 of their careers makes me question the foundation of this team moving forward.

Book is still a superstar, but he’s not a Giannis level superstar and his mounting soft tissue injuries are starting to become a concern moving forward. And without Ayton or Bridges being able to make any kind of demonstrable leap, it’s obvious to ever compete at a title level, we need to pair Book with another superstar… and prob one better than him. Question is… how the hell do they get that guy?

If we're smart, Paul's contract with it's big fat option should be used to bring in another big contract player from some team that is rudderless. I think Toronto is the most likely to blow it up.

I think Ayton is getting moved in the summer as well. Ayton, Paul's contract with it's big savings... bunch of picks, we'd certainly still be a leading destination in a mega trade. But I doubt any "available" mega trade options would be all that appealing to me. These "trade all the draft capitol for the next 7 years" trades have yielded horrible results for the teams giving their draft away.

I hope the new ownership will invest heavily in scouting and we can continue to grow the team from within, as most long term competitors do.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson